Thread: Form Check: Low Bar Squat Position page

mgage is offline Junior Member

Form Check: Low Bar Squat Position

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I'm just in my second week of Starting Strength and 'm suspecting I haven't had the bar low enough on my back. I've been looking at videos and pictures, but until I can feel the right spot on my own back, I think I'll struggle with repeating it. Can anyone in the know take a look at the picture below and tell me if this is low enough? Basically, I went to where I had been placing the bar and then tried to drop it another inch or so down the back. So, this bar position is lower than what I was doing, but I'm thinking it's where I need to be. Thoughts? Thanks for all your help. (P.S. Sorry it's sideways)

photo.jpg

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    It works better if you host the image of the site and link to it. That way you don't have to wait on the moderators to approve it.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Bar location looks fine, you should try to get your hands on top of the bar. You want to pin the bar to your back, not hold it up with your arms.

Use a thumbless grip. You aren't supporting the bar with your hands. You're holding the bar DOWN against your back. Your wrist should NOT bend in either direction. It should be a straight line from your forearm across the wrist onto your hand.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe