Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so concerned with weight-loss? page

Sars is offline Junior Member

Why are people so concerned with weight-loss?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi! I've been reading the thread for a while, and it seems like there's a lot of people out there so concerned about weight-loss that they're restricting what they're eating to insane levels. It actually kind of reminds me of how people think when they're anorexic, controlling their intake to the point that food isn't enjoyable and getting extremely down on themselves when they aren't seeing results.

If living Primally emphasizes chilling out about eating and life in general, why are people so concerned with losing when they seem to be at a perfectly healthy weight? If your body is fighting you and you're forced to eat like you're anorexic to attain your goals, is it really healthy to expect to look like Mark? Is a lower body fat % always healthy?

Thanks!

steve.mull is offline Member
    CW and modern consumerism

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I see what you are saying. It's true that some people take it too far and obsess about it to the point of being unhealthy.

I -where I started at 183- was fat and hence my concern with losing weight, but I am also content to lose it slowly and enjoy food along the way. For example, today I enjoyed beef bacon, 5 eggs with butter, two beef patties with cheddar, a primal nut bar, and I have yet to eat a grilled rib eye with asparagus for dinner.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Sars is offline Junior Member
    ... beef bacon??!? A combination of the two very best foods? What have I been missing?

Your attitude towards weight-loss seems healthy and sustainable, jojohaligo! That's the vibe I got from reading the book, that this was a slow process, not a crash-diet. Eventually, your body will find a state of homeostasis where you reach a healthy weight and maintain it. As long as you listen to your body, you should become healthy, right? Plus weight doesn't even mean all that much, there's so many better markers of health!

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    I am losing weight quickly so I can stop losing weight. It may seem like I am being obsessive over calorie counting and all that, but what I'm really focusing on is food quality and keeping cravings under control. I am near the point where body composition will be far more important than overall weight, and I'll be glad to stop with the calorie restriction at that point.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I don't *need* to lose any weight, but my weight certainly fluctuates and there are times when I realize I need to rein myself in. I still look/feel fine, but I just start noticing that a lot of my pants don't fit, the bras are getting kind of tight, and I notice that my performance at the gym gets worse, specifically when it comes to bodyweight stuff. Even 5 lbs makes a difference at pull-ups! I know my limit when it comes to how low of a weight I can maintain without going crazy and/or having skin hanging off of me. The second I hit 136 lbs, I stall and my body just refuses to lose any more weight even if I'm sticking to the diet 100%. I'm about 140 in my avatar and that's generally my average weight if I'm 80/20.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I was pretty obsessed initially with weight loss - I started doing low carb on my own, then found this site and changed my focus to whole, high quality foods. I was already on a weight training protocol so eating healthy has led to some body recomposition I am happy with. Somewhere along the way, I stopped caring about the scale and trying to be "thin" - I like having more energy and strength. I'm healthy, happy, eating good food and am in good shape - it's a nice place to be.

I would honestly feel differently if I were heavier though or without muscle tone and would focus more on weight loss. It can be hard to read some posters being so hard on themselves and restrictive. Food is a pleasurable thing for me - I've lost that pleasure in the past by hyper-focusing on calorie counting but am not willing to go down that path anymore.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    At 179.4 and only 5'4", I have weight to lose to get to a healthy weight. But my goal isn't what's considered a healthy BMI even, because with a 34H chest and lots of muscle, that's just not realistic. I have lost 15lbs, but that's taken me nearly 7 months. I figure losing slowly (a) gives my skin time to keep up and (b) makes it more likely to stay off. I've now lost the weight I gained during 2 pregnancies and am on to what I gained trying to get pregnant.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Because in general, people are assholes to fat people. It pretty much sucks to carry around excess fat and have people assume you shovel in the McDonalds and treat you with disrespect.

I keep a pretty tight rein on calories to lose fat. However, I still enjoy my food, just less of it.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Oh, I guess I should have read further... but I imagine that any type of "diet" or way of eating attracts people with eating disorders that are probably somewhat obsessive so enjoy participating in an online community.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast