Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so concerned with weight-loss? page 9

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I find it interesting that this conversation has gone from "people" who are obsessed with weight loss, to a discussion mainly centered on how women look.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yes, I'm a tree trunk shape. No little tiny waist for me. I don't know if it's my waist's fault or my hips or my height (or lack thereof). I don't think there's much I can do about my waist. It's 29-30" usually and 28 is about the smallest it's ever been as an adult, so that's not going to make much difference. The PB fitness exercises that I do in the wimpiest of ways have made a big difference in my overall firmness and I'm really happy how much nicer my skin is nowadays.

You know what my true desire is? To eat as much as I want all the time and stay at least this size and strength. So far it mostly works. Thank goodness I really like the food.
    my waist ranges from 27-32" but my hips are 40" so i still have a little bit of an hourglass.

jojohaligo:
    I find it interesting that this conversation has gone from "people" who are obsessed with weight loss, to a discussion mainly centered on how women look.
    i believe the original question was why the OP sees so many posts about weight-loss. I'm not obsessed by any means, but weight-loss is my short-term goal, and my motivation is to change how i look. hence the slight digression of the topic.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 08-17-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I don't do that. In fact I actually don't like having a low bf% because my skin gets all loose.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post

i believe the original question was why the OP sees so many posts about weight-loss. I'm not obsessed by any means, but weight-loss is my short-term goal, and my motivation is to change how i look. hence the slight digression of the topic.
    Whether the OP was talking about "so many posts about weight-loss" or "'people' who are obsessed with weight loss" is not really where I was headed. I also did not intend to comment on whether anyone who has been posting in this thread is actually obsessed or not...

What I find fascinating is how the conversation has become for the most part about how women see themselves, and how men see women.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    ah i see. what does that observation mean to you?

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Which one do you think looks better?
    Legs or sticks, sticks or legs, daddy or chips? it's a hard one. Not.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SentWest View Post
    I believe it's just genetic as well. I don't think anyone can do anything to change it short of corsetry, just like guys can't really make their shoulders wider. More muscular, yeah, but the skeletal frame won't change.

Guess I'm lucky, I have about 10" inches difference between the hips-waist-bust measurements. It's a blessing/curse. I'm really curvy, but nothing off the rack fits right and a lot of modern syles look terrible. Guys like it, but it's aways stymied my dreams of doing dance related things (they want lithe body shapes only above a certain level).
    Yeah, and I'm never gonna have a huge difference between waist and hips! I have fairly small hips (especially when I'm not overweight and carrying extra fat there), and I'm broader across the shoulders than the hips. I get a bit of a "dip" in the waist, but not much.

Doesn't help that I'm very short either, so I can't buy off the rack clothes easily no matter WHAT my shape!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    I think it's mostly genetic... some women just have more of a waist than others, some are much straighter up and down. There may be SOMETHING you can do (errm corsets anyone?? lol) and perhaps some exercise, but I think if you're more straight up and down that's the way you stay.

I'd like more of a waist myself, but I'm unlikely to get one so I just focus on the things I CAN change about myself!
    This! My hips aren't much wider than my waist, so my waist doesn't "look" small. I'm more of those straight up and down women.

Also on the discussion about Gadsie's question about legs, both look good. It's all about body type. I could probably never have legs like the ones pictured on the right because my build is more like the legs on the left. I am small framed and I have long, lean muscles. It would be very difficult for me to bulk up.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yes, I'm a tree trunk shape. No little tiny waist for me. I don't know if it's my waist's fault or my hips or my height (or lack thereof). I don't think there's much I can do about my waist. It's 29-30" usually and 28 is about the smallest it's ever been as an adult, so that's not going to make much difference. The PB fitness exercises that I do in the wimpiest of ways have made a big difference in my overall firmness and I'm really happy how much nicer my skin is nowadays.
    Oh, God! The estrogen in me cannot help but comment. To the person that noted this thread turned into a female topic, we just cannot help but compare ourselves. Blessing and a curse: to want that female connection yet the tendency to focus on the physical negatives.

Here goes: I am short and my legs are thick/calves are big (we call them cows in our family). Those skinny jeans are not for this girl, since my legs fit in like snausages yet there is enough room in the waist for another person. My upper body is lean and I have a small chest (hallelujah). I am also pretty darned thin (5'3", 118lbs) so I don't have anywhere to go besides toning up or liposuction. The latter will not happen, so I need to love how great I am feeling and enjoy the freedom from "diet" that the PB has brought me.

The biggest blessing, physical-wise, has been the reduction in bloating and the skin brightening. I had a 26" waist when I hit 40, and a 29.5" waist when I hit 47 despite only weighing 3lbs more (had gym assessments done at those times). My waist is down to 27" and the gurgling/gas is gone unless I eat gluteny/sugary foods like pancakes or muffins. It has only been 2 months. Still working on strengthening to core to help my back (mild scoliosis), and changing my mindset from exhaustive cardio is the only way to go to a more balanced way of staying active and fit.

I used to get acne on the jawline before I got my period. That did not happen the last 2 months. I am certain there is a hormonal shift going on; whether due to PB or my age (47) or a combination of the two. I also didn't get that horrible couple of days that most women can relate to... my skin looks healthier like I see in so many of the before/after shots from other members.

I am just happy. If I talk about my weight loss/gain or measurements it is sometimes because that is how I can gauge progress and sometimes because that is how I think some will relate to my story or my questions when I post them here. And my true desire is to live to be *healthy* 100 so I can care for my special needs son because I think the world will fail him. When I'm not caring for him, I want to be that old lady who people talk about!!!!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Okay, so many different ideas in one thread!

Why are so many people obsessed with weight? A few reasons. First, a very large number of people are seriously overweight, and it's not something you can hide. But there does tend to be a number of people that just tend to get carried away with whatever their flavor of the day is, be it weight loss, their current love interest or the Kardashians. Then there are some that feel like eating right will help them live forever, disease free, which can be a coping mechanism for general fear in their lives. More control means less fear. Me? I've had to let go of even the slightest bit of "obsession". The concussions showed me that sometimes you have zero control over how your body processes food. So I just eat the healthiest I can, and my goal in eating Primal is to keep my body and brain operating at optimal levels and continuing to heal.

A waist. Yes, I would sacrifice virgin in a pit of fire if I could have a waist. But sadly, there are no virgins in Vegas, and it's not how I'm genetically set up anyway. I have long legs, but they're balanced out with a very short waist. I have literally about 2 inches between the top of my hip and the bottom of my rib cage. A waspy waist is just not going to happen.

I think most of us would like to look good naked. Funny thing is, it's still kind of a head game sometimes. The Boyfriend thinks I look good naked. Why? Because I'm naked. That's it. Naked woman = happiness, as far as he's concerned, and unless I somehow get morbidly obese (which is another way I'm not set up genetically), he's happy with me at any weight. BUT! In my head, I still don't want him to see me naked with a belly. Even though he expressly wants to see me naked. It's stupid.

As far as seeing fat people with a shopping cart full of Ding Dongs... yeah, it's not right. But I do understand that sometimes you can reach a point where you just don't care anymore. After the 2nd head injury this year, I gained about 20 pounds that I thought was gone forever and suddenly, no matter what I ate, I couldn't make it go away. Super clean, and it wouldn't make a single bit of difference because my brain was into protecting itself and didn't care about LGN. That gets frustrating after a month or two, so I would say "Screw it" and have the Little Debby bars and the apple fritter and the chocolate frosted donut because, in my mind, it didn't change the scale so it didn't matter. And I wouldn't get the disgusted looks from strangers because I look normal and ordinary when I'm wearing clothes, so it was all good.

I finally had to switch the mind set up to being about healing and not about weight. That's where I'm at now, hoping in the back of my mind that it will eventually turn around and I'll eventually lose the belly, but for now it's all about being healthy in general.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast