Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so concerned with weight-loss? page 6

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Losing weight is the easiest thing to quantify, I suppose. The health benefits are harder to see for some of us, and come later. Many start making health changes because they are overweight. So, if the pounds falling off is what keeps them going... yay?

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Here are vintage photos of the "plump ideal" "exotic" dancers from the 1890s : Exotic Dancers, 1890s | Retronaut you will notice that most are still corseted around the waist!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    How about my legs? I've got some pretty big ones.

What I'd like is a slimmer waist and smaller arms. But I don't believe for a second I'm going to get that.

I'm not that into weight loss anymore. I'm into eating strange animal bits. I'd rather eat delicious things that make other people squirm than have skinny legs. The only other way I'm gonna make people squirm I suppose is to crush their heads with my massive thighs.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    How about my legs? I've got some pretty big ones.

What I'd like is a slimmer waist and smaller arms. But I don't believe for a second I'm going to get that.

I'm not that into weight loss anymore. I'm into eating strange animal bits. I'd rather eat delicious things that make other people squirm than have skinny legs. The only other way I'm gonna make people squirm I suppose is to crush their heads with my massive thighs.
    I love your legs, especially your thighs, which look strong and shapely! As for your waist, it looks very trim! You can't make your hipbones wider, which, in addition to a boob job, is the only thing that's going to give the illusion of that tiny wasp, hourglass waist. I think your waist is perfect, actually! You look firm and sexy!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    honestly, i'm happy enough with my body, but my husband isn't. he doesn't really say anything usually, but when we talk about body types, fat, etc. he has expressed that he wouldn't mind me losing a little fat off my thighs and stomach. I told him that a lower BF% means my breasts would shrink too, and his response was "I'm not worried, you have plenty to spare." i'm not a big girl by any definition, but he's used to a different standard. both of his siblings have worked paid modeling jobs; it's what his sister does for a living. I don't have to change my body for anyone, not even for him, but i can so why not? today we were joking around about pole dancing classes (no thanks) and i mentioned that a little bench pressing and weight lifting wouldn't hurt him. anyway, so if i lose the amount of body fat that I prefer, and it's still not his preference, that's fine. he'll just have to take it or leave it. but in the end, at this point in time it is mostly a vanity thing. as long as my focus is eating primarily nutrient-dense foods, and my health doesn't suffer, then what does it matter to anyone else?

SentWest is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I understand the reasoning around being angry at fat people. I do it too. Walking into the grocery and seeing some 400 lb woman riding around in a scooter shopping cart with her "healthy" whole wheat bread, her WW frozen dinners, bottles of Diet Coke, and a bunch of 100 calorie Snack Packs. I just want to shake her (or even him) and scream at them! But, we must all choose. It took me 44 years to realize that I am killing myself and digging my grave with a fork.
    I don't get mad at those folks, they're at least trying to do the right thing. I get mad at the 400-pounders in the scooter with the basket full of ice cream and twinkies and cheese whiz. I mean, not even attempting to try. Just wallowing in it. It's gross.

I guess I'll be the shallow one. I'm totally losing weight to look good naked. My priorities are as follows:
    1. Look hot
    2. Be hard to kill
    3. Not be frail when I'm 80

SentWest is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Wow. You think the legs on right are FAT!?!?! Are you freaking kidding me? This whole post just screams body dysmorphia to me.
    Just because someone has different asthetic ideals than you doesn't mean they have a mental problem.

I personally prefer *very* thin men (I'm a female), that fall outside the ideal for most women, I also tend to think lithe looks better than muscular. Just me, doesn't mean I have unrealistic ideas about my own body.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Gadsie;930321]http://www.skinnyvscurvy.com/wp-cont...achtenberg.jpg

I could go on, it's prett obvious which one looks better

thick legs

I definitely agree the first picture, the girl on the right. However, the one on the right is a bad example as she has cankles. On the other hand, the girl on the left does need some mayo..in both pictures.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    honestly, i'm happy enough with my body, but my husband isn't.

Wow that would serious upset me. I gained a fair bit of weight due to medication and my H has been nothing but supportive about it and tells me every day how pretty I am. I can see he is pleased that I am now losing, but there Is no pressure to do so. I'm not saying thee hasn't been gentle teasing ("there's just more of you to love", type of thing) but no pressure to change how I look.

He wants you to lose on your this. Wow, what are you supposed to do? Cut it off with a knife?

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think your legs look great sbhikes. Not big or massive.

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast