Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so concerned with weight-loss? page 4

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Don't *need*? No you really don't. In your avatar you look like, pretty perfect
    Thanks! I carry my extra weight in my lower body, though. Never been cellulite-free!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Thanks! I carry my extra weight in my lower body, though. Never been cellulite-free!
    Well, we all know thick legs look much better than skinny legs
    Billie trips balls

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Eat when you're hungry, exercise when you feel like it, and be happy!
    Do you, and how do you look? If I got that piece of an advice from some athletic goddess I would likely get very angry.

Well, we all know thick legs look much better than skinny legs
    Let's agree to disagree. I'd do anything (except apparently shutting my trap) to get slender legs.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-16-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sars View Post
    I love this!

Heh, my original question was more about healthy people losing weight for the sake of losing weight. This has morphed into quite a different beast! I like it.

I think fat people staying fat usually has two causes:
    1) Trying to get healthy, but not really knowing how (Ex: my mom who has been on and off weight-watchers for her whole adult life, wondering why weight-loss derived from eating packing peanuts and sawdust isn't sustainable)
    2) Being afraid of failure. Setting goals is a very scary thing and change is hard.

As for LGN, it seems like such a shifting standard. If you're 100 lbs overweight, your LGN zone looks different than if you're 10 lbs away from this arbitrary goal you set yourself. LGN is more of a state of mind than a state of body. We're often too hard on ourselves, setting goals because other people tell us how we ought to be. Eat when you're hungry, exercise when you feel like it, and be happy!
    This. I may have only lost 15 pounds in a year, but I'm so much stronger and confident. And will keep moving in that direction in my own space and time. My DH came home while I was doing a HIIT workout and his jaw about his the floor when his still technically obese wife was cranking out squat jumps like there was no tomorrow. He found it totally sexy. And when he thinks I LGN, I feel like I LGN.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    I'll bite.

I'm a guy whose always been interested in being ripped. Like, not just in decent shape ripped... but ripped like people's heads turn and notice thinking "damn.... THAT guy is shredded"

I've felt this way long before discovering these forums - but I'm still glad i did for health's sake. Maybe it curbed my borderline obsession a bit too, which might be good.

Here's the deal: My motivation to achieve this look is not maximum health: It's honestly about aesthetics and social acknowledgement mostly. Also, there's a satisfying feeling of control that comes with it.... having complete mastery over your body. This kind of discipline gives me pride in that I can accomplish this when most others can't. It's the same motivation that makes the fire burn within elite athletes or rich professionals. They want to be better than the rest.

Now, if it were true that sporting single digit body fat had all kinds of negative health effects, I'd reconsider. Though, from what I can tell, there's no inherent health advantage of having 7% body fat over 12-15%, all else the same. Fortunately, getting lean generally coincides with making healthy lifestyle changes such as exercising, eating cleanly, and not over eating, the latter of which is a much under looked factor in health in my opinion.

But yea... I'm vain. I'll admit it - hunter gatherers didn't have blood work, they had eyes. People who look fit are favored, and there's no denying that. I've even noticed subtle social differences fully clothed when I dropped from 12% BF to single digit BF... people notice in my neck and face and compliment me.

I fully realize that this desire can go too far, but I'm most interested in living long and enjoying life... if this interfered with that I'd definitely change my priorities

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Do you, and how do you look? If I got that piece of an advice from some athletic goddess I would likely get very angry.

Let's agree to disagree. I'd do anything (except apparently shutting my trap) to get slender legs.
    http://www.skinnyvscurvy.com/wp-cont...attle-time.jpg

Which one do you think looks better?
    Billie trips balls

Here's the deal: My motivation to achieve this look is not maximum health: It's honestly about aesthetics and social acknowledgement mostly. Also, there's a satisfying feeling of control that comes with it.... having complete mastery over your body. This kind of discipline gives me pride in that I can accomplish this when most others can't. It's the same motivation that makes the fire burn within elite athletes or rich professionals. They want to be better than the rest.
    This.

Also, I want to add that for me my not being able to lose fat signifies that I still love food more than I love myself. Now I feel I cannot blame the lack of knowledge, wrong approaches, and I do not expect my body to morph into someone else's body. It's pure and simple.

Which one do you think looks better?
    Left, no question. Pretty much my dream legs! No overhang!!!!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Left, no question. Pretty much my dream legs! No overhang!!!!
    so weird.
    ad astra per aspera

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    I'll bite.

I'm a guy whose always been interested in being ripped. Like, not just in decent shape ripped... but ripped like people's heads turn and notice thinking "damn.... THAT guy is shredded"

I've felt this way long before discovering these forums - but I'm still glad i did for health's sake. Maybe it curbed my borderline obsession a bit too, which might be good.

Now, if it were true that sporting single digit body fat had all kinds of negative health effects, I'd reconsider. Though, from what I can tell, there's no inherent health advantage of having 7% body fat over 12-15%, all else the same. Fortunately, getting lean generally coincides with making healthy lifestyle changes such as exercising, eating cleanly, and not over eating, the latter of which is a much under looked factor in health in my opinion.
    I'm the same way --

I really liked this part:

But yea... I'm vain. I'll admit it - hunter gatherers didn't have blood work, they had eyes. People who look fit are favored, and there's no denying that. I've even noticed subtle social differences fully clothed when I dropped from 12% BF to single digit BF... people notice in my neck and face and compliment me.
    ad astra per aspera

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast