Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so concerned with weight-loss? page 27

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meepster View Post
    No, possible if people would just raise their children to have good manners and to mind their own business. If your parents raised you right, you don't behave like an ill-mannered 5-year-old when you're an adult. I'm not fat, but when I see all the fat-hate on the Internet and in the real world, I wonder just what kind of parenting produced that level of immaturity. Personally, I think that the "hur hur hur, look at the fatso at the grocery store! and she's buying food! hur dur dur!" sort of person is far less attractive than the fattest fatso out there, and given the choice of who to spend time with, I'd pick the fat person over the immature, overgrown child who just barely managed to get himself potty-trained but who finds that good manners are too advanced for him. (and it's almost always a "him")

And for the record (for all of you immature overgrown 5-year-olds out there), I'm not fat and I've never been fat. I just don't like irrational disgust reactions applied to real, living people. People deserve to be treated like humans, not disgusting objects.
    I of course can only speak for myself, but whenever I see an obese person, for instance at the grocery store pushing cart full of frozen pizzas, pop tarts and about ten bottles of regular soda I never give them nasty looks, don't make funny face at them, nudge the person I'm with in the side and laugh.

However, I really, genuinely wish I could talk to them about proper nutrition and healthy lifestyle. Makes me sad to see all that health and beauty potential covered up with fat.

Just the other day I was sipping my coffee at the book store and two very large sized ladies sat on a table next to me. Each lady was carrying a vegetarian cook book and they started leafing through them were having a very enthusiastic conversation about vegetarianism and cooking.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CleoCat View Post
    However, I really, genuinely wish I could talk to them about proper nutrition and healthy lifestyle. Makes me sad to see all that health and beauty potential covered up with fat.

Just the other day I was sipping my coffee at the book store and two very large sized ladies sat on a table next to me. Each lady was carrying a vegetarian cook book and they started leafing through them were having a very enthusiastic conversation about vegetarianism and cooking.
    +1 for me, it's really not about their potential. it's just about the fact that most people aren't happy that way, and i think i have ideas which could help them. but in the end, it's not my business so i try not to pay attention.

i think a lot of people associate vegetarianism with weight loss and health. hopefully it works for them.

Thistle5 is offline Junior Member
    Weight loss would be an added benefit for me, although I'm mostly concerned w/ my overall health. I have high blood pressure & sleep apnea, & my doctor said it would be helpful if I lost weight (I totally agree, but I've been slacking)....

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I am admittedly obesessed with weight loss right now, but it is only because I am fat! I don't want to lose 10 or 20 pounds, more like 80! I am tired of not being able to find clothes I like, not getting attention from guys (at least not guys I am attracted to), and most recently being told I was, in fact, fat by my "boss". I have been primal for about 3 and a half months and have lost 21 pounds, but can't seem to get past that point. I don't really have anyone to get advice from on this stuff, but something has stalled my progress. Anyway... I am definitely focused on losing weight, but in a big way it is to improve my overall happiness, so I hope I can do it without hurting my happiness or losing sight of what is really important.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    I wonder -

If you see someone who is morbidly thin in the supermarket, buying.. let's say chewing gums, loads of them -
    would you think differently than Knifegill seeing a fat person loading his cart with frozen pizzas?
    when i see someone skinny, or even healthy looking, buying a bunch of highly processed diet food i still cringe inside.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    when i see someone skinny, or even healthy looking, buying a bunch of highly processed diet food i still cringe inside.
    As do I, but when I see a fat person buy processed food, I cringe more. Because the damage is taking its toll for everyone to know about it!

Quote Originally Posted by meepster View Post
    Define "awesome".
    Why do we define "awesome" as "narrowly focused on the amount of adipose tissue present on their body"? There are more important things in life than how much adipose tissue one has present in their body. Some people prefer to concentrate on those more important things.
    instead of working hard to get women the right to vote, had spent all that energy and all that hard work focusing on getting to 10% bodyfat instead?
    Awesome is healthy. Fat isn't healthy. We are not talking about getting to 10% bodyfat, let's start with 20% or even 30%.
    You know what's not awesome? High risk of heart attacks in your 20's, sleep apnea, joint pains because your body was never intended to carry on so much flesh, 3 chins...

Shall I continue? The list is long, and far from being awesome.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

meepster is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    Awesome is healthy. Fat isn't healthy. We are not talking about getting to 10% bodyfat, let's start with 20% or even 30%.
    You know what's not awesome? High risk of heart attacks in your 20's, sleep apnea, joint pains because your body was never intended to carry on so much flesh, 3 chins...

Shall I continue? The list is long, and far from being awesome.
    Please do continue, and explain to me how it benefits other people if you get yourself from 20% to 10% bodyfat. You have conveniently excised all my examples of how someone could be "awesome" by benefiting others. Sorry - if your greatest accomplishment in life is staying at a 20% body fat percentage, I don't think you're awesome - I think you need to get out more.

I think I'm at about a 20% body fat percentage. I am a size 6, I look great naked (if I do say so myself), and I am pretty healthy. I take good care of myself. I don't think that's awesome. You know what I think is awesome? That I can play the piano in a way that makes my audience weep. That I can write a damn good patent application. That I can help a friend who is in desperate trouble, and not turn away from them. That my clients like me enough to transfer their files from other patent firms to my patent firm. That I treat my SO with respect and love. Those things are awesome. Bodyfat percentages are nothing to be proud of.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Low BF, because thin people NEVER have heart attacks, or joint pain, or any other health issues... riiiiiight.

Someone should have told me that 15 years ago when my ass was young, BEAUTIFUL, and the "picture" of health, but also in pain... and had developed a chronic disease.
    Meh, I had the right BF... I was HEALTHY!
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-28-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    You are right. Being fat is good for you.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    i think a lot of people associate vegetarianism with weight loss and health. hopefully it works for them.
    I laugh about vegetarianism....but it can be a good step away from SAD.
    Maybe it gets you out of McDonalds and Hardees and eating more veggies.

Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast