Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so concerned with weight-loss? page 26

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My shopping cart will make me a vegetarian to the next person in line. We buy all our meat and poultry directly from the farmers.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    We once had a fungus going around the barn and the barnowner had a recipe from the vet that called for large quantities of things like Preperation 8 and Monistat 7. Throw in some plastic gloves and you have an embarrassing basket at the Rite 8.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    And who would guess that the 10-lb bag of sugar is for making nectar for the swarms of hummingbirds that raid my feeders?

Paleobird Guest
    When I used to shop for my elderly aunt, there were cartons of cigarettes and cheap box wine in my cart but that's what she wanted. Someone could be shopping for a relative or a shut in neighbor too.

Also someone could weigh 250lbs but be well on their way from 350 to their goal of 150.

Bottom line, people need to mind their own business when it comes to what is in someone else's cart or someone else's size.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Bottom line, people need to mind their own business when it comes to what is in someone else's cart or someone else's size.
    Possible only on a Disney movie
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

meepster is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    Possible only on a Disney movie
    No, possible if people would just raise their children to have good manners and to mind their own business. If your parents raised you right, you don't behave like an ill-mannered 5-year-old when you're an adult. I'm not fat, but when I see all the fat-hate on the Internet and in the real world, I wonder just what kind of parenting produced that level of immaturity. Personally, I think that the "hur hur hur, look at the fatso at the grocery store! and she's buying food! hur dur dur!" sort of person is far less attractive than the fattest fatso out there, and given the choice of who to spend time with, I'd pick the fat person over the immature, overgrown child who just barely managed to get himself potty-trained but who finds that good manners are too advanced for him. (and it's almost always a "him")

And for the record (for all of you immature overgrown 5-year-olds out there), I'm not fat and I've never been fat. I just don't like irrational disgust reactions applied to real, living people. People deserve to be treated like humans, not disgusting objects.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    And the crowd goes wild!!!!!
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

meepster is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    No, but some people wake up in the morning thinking ''hey, I'm going to be more awesome at the end of the day than at the start. I'll make efforts to be wiser, smarter and healthier and have a better life''. And they do, and they don't waste time finding excuses.
    Define "awesome".

For example, is someone "awesome" if they are a scientist working hard to discover new and interesting things? If they're spending all their time in a lab, running experiment after experiment, working hard to make sense of their findings, and making the results available for all of us?

Is someone "awesome" if they're an engineer or an inventor, working hard to make new and interesting devices available for the rest of us to enjoy?

Is someone "awesome" if they're a doctor or a nurse, working hard to heal the sick and to save lives?

Is someone "awesome" if they're a musician, spending all their free time practicing hard, so that the rest of us can enjoy their music?

Is someone "awesome" if they're a writer, spending all their free time at the word processor, writing down stories so that the rest of us can enjoy them?

Is someone "awesome" if they spend all their free time volunteering to help the homeless, the poor, the powerless, the disenfranchised?

Is someone "awesome" if they devote all their free time to raising awesome children rather than leaving them in front of the television?

Why do we define "awesome" as "narrowly focused on the amount of adipose tissue present on their body"? There are more important things in life than how much adipose tissue one has present in their body. Some people prefer to concentrate on those more important things.

Yesterday marks the 92th anniversary of women gaining the right to suffrage in the US. Where would we be if the suffragettes, instead of working hard to get women the right to vote, had spent all that energy and all that hard work focusing on getting to 10% bodyfat instead?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Truth.

For over a year now "awesome" for me would have meant not waking up and going to sleep every day to numerous neurological symptoms such as speech impairment (dysarthria, gait ataxia, etc.)... most days were a complete and utter failure.
    And I lost some weight long the way too, thanks to eating healthy "Primal", but if some people in this thread saw me in they would still judge me "fat and lazy" most likely...

Of course, I freely admit that I'm an outlier. I have not one, but two rare diseases... not exactly your average Jane.
    However... if some of you would stop and add up all of the problems that seriously cause people to gain weight, affect peoples ability to lose weight, and the sheer numbers of people that are affected... you'd be staggered. It certainly is NOT 1% like so many here like to throw around.

As others have said before me, remember: There but for Grace go [you].

Health isn't about the amount of BF you can see on a person.
    Lean doesn't make a person superior.
    An absolute IDIOT and complete and utter asshole can be skinny.
    Often people are lean by the simple roll of the dice... a random stroke of good fortune means that they can be oblivious to the food that goes into their mouths and do just fine. Yet they would be judged "better".
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-27-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    We once had a fungus going around the barn and the barnowner had a recipe from the vet that called for large quantities of things like Preperation 8 and Monistat 7. Throw in some plastic gloves and you have an embarrassing basket at the Rite 8.
    thank god for drugstore.com!

Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast