Luce is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    HWP, healthy weight person

Oh, and Quelsen...

ALL the {{{hugs}}} for that one.

Oh! Thank you Cori.

Luce
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Height Weight Proportionate as well
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quelsen, thank you. We all know what Knifegill would be thinking if he saw you at the supermarket. I hope you always go to the cleaning products aisle first thing.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Humans treat other humans differently based on their looks. Let's be real here, everyone does it to some extent.

But I do think that the biggest benefit is not how other people treat you, but how you think of yourself. And this can be improved without altering yourself. Although if people's motivation to look good leads them down a healthier path, then more power to them.

Sure the non-esthetic health benefits are a plus, but improving your looks is also a plus. Both benefit your life. We may like to think we live in a happy, magical world with unicorns, where looks don't matter, but that isn't reality. Our human bias towards beautiful people is innate to some extent.
    Last edited by Bosnic; 08-26-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I don't treat people differently due to their looks.

However... I do have different thoughts about people because of their looks. This is unfair, to be sure... but it's more snap judgements than anything else, and I'm not sure how to reprogram my brain so I DON'T make a judgement based on what I see. I don't even know if it's possible!

If I see a person who is extremely overweight, and takes no effort with his/her appearance etc. I do judge them, and I usually wonder WHY they've let themselves get to that state! In this case, it's not so much their weight either... but the whole appearance (hair, clothes, general grooming and hygiene).

BUT I never treat them differently. I will never be less nice to someone because they've "let themselves go".

So... we may not be able to affect how we initially perceive people, or the judgements we make about them, BUT we can change how we TREAT them. There's no excuse for treating people badly based on something as superficial as their outward appearance!

ETA: I know too many overweight people who are doing all the "right" things, to judge every overweight person as some moron who doesn't know how to eat. When people are having CW shoved in their faces day in day out, how can I judge them for never thinking outside the box or looking into other ways of eating?
    Last edited by Iron Fireling; 08-26-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    For me the PB was a weight loss method at first. But the effects on how I feel and function are so overwhelmingly positive that even if I was still the same category 3 Hambeast from a year ago, I'd still eat this way. The weight loss/look good naked aspect of it is at this point an ancillary benefit.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If I see a person who is extremely overweight, and takes no effort with his/her appearance etc. I do judge them, and I usually wonder WHY they've let themselves get to that state! In this case, it's not so much their weight either... but the whole appearance (hair, clothes, general grooming and hygiene).

BUT I never treat them differently. I will never be less nice to someone because they've "let themselves go".
    I find that I kindda get that big ball of energy when I see someone overweight in the middle of me, and the intense desire for that person to send it to that person that they can shake up and find the joy in bursting out of the confines of the smothering fat blanket. On the balance, getting into shape and continue to try to improve made such a huge difference to me. It's like I went blind for a while 'letting go', and then started to see again. I certainly experience an animal pleasure when I feel and look truly fit.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Quelsen, thank you. We all know what Knifegill would be thinking if he saw you at the supermarket. I hope you always go to the cleaning products aisle first thing.
    I wonder -

If you see someone who is morbidly thin in the supermarket, buying.. let's say chewing gums, loads of them -
    would you think differently than Knifegill seeing a fat person loading his cart with frozen pizzas?
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    when i see anyone nowadays in the store i feel extreme pity for them. As i become more healthy i can spot all sorts of disease.

however as much as i want to help them, i realized long ago that no one can motivate you but you. Also when the student is ready the master appears.

skinny, fat, ugly, beautiful, smart, dumb... thus is the state of humankind.

There but for the grace of god go I....

be the change you wish to see and leave the rest to figure it out on their own... lead by example.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    How should I know why anybody buys a lot of chewing gum? Maybe they have really bad breath? Maybe they're just stocking up.

I sometimes look in my own cart and try to figure out what people will think of me based on what's in there. I don't shop all at once. I buy a little bit every few days. So my carts are sometimes full of odd assortments. The other day I bought only a package of pig's tails. What does that say to you? That I can't afford real meat? That I'm making soup? That I just bought "Odd Bits" and want to try a lot of strange odd bits? That I'm crazy? Who in their right mind eats the tails of pigs, especially someone with my demographic profile?

Once I had 52 poptarts, three jars of peanut butter, a squeeze bottle of jelly, a case of top ramen, several Knorr pasta sides, and some other crap in my cart. I'm sure someone must have thought something negative about me for buying all that. But truth is, I was shopping for three long-distance hikers on the Continental Divide Trail. Nobody would have EVER guessed that. So I don't bother judging people on what's in their cart. You don't know why anybody is buying what they're buying.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast