Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so concerned with weight-loss? page 24

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I mean, ultimately, EVERYONE has excuses why it's hard to lose weight and stay in shape and blablabla. What makes the difference is whether you use the hardships in your life to progress and become better/more resilient/tougher or just curl in a ball and complain about how hard and unfair life is. And the hell with ''well some people have it easier than me, so I'll just do nothing and lower my standards for myself because it's much easier this way''. No one said it was supposed to be a fair race. Deal with it, keep on going, give everything you've got and please stop complaining.
    I agree to an extent, but at what point is it OK just to be happy with your body? I absolutely agree that if you weigh 400lbs, you need to drop the doritos and move. But if say, you are a woman at 24% body fat, and to get to 22% you have to drop the fruit, eat once every 12 hours, lean protein and green veggies only, heavy lift 4 days a week and cardio 4 days a week for an hour.... wouldn't we be better off encouraging a healthy lifestyle and a fit body vs. celebrating people's bodies who do crazy, unhealthy shit to be lean?

I think it comes back to the whole "morality" thing. We tend to admire people who can restrict and avoid all temptation, and you know what... it does pay off in a great body for some people. But maybe it would be nice to also admire people that balance it out and enjoy foods.

I mean, ultimately, yeah, I'd love to be with someone who looks like a body builder, but I don't want to be with someone who can't enjoy food or is obsessive about exercise. I also don't want to be with a slob that treats their body like a dumpster.

And I agree, people today have gotten sloppy about appearance and unfortunately fashion is designed for that lucky 5% of society.... which ends up making people look fatter than they really are. I have a really simple formula of what I'll wear.... and it is hard to find clothes in flattering cuts.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I was at a figure competition last night...
    I can with all confidence say that I would NOT like to be with a bodybuilder... and neither would my husband.
    He cringed a lot. And was all "Holy shit... do these girls not ever eat?" "She's going to pass out..." "I can see every bone... and muscle... "
    He did however like some of the "bikini model" girls who lost... the ones who still had bodyfat!!! LOL

It was actually a little sad... at least two of the female contestants actually looked like they might fall out while they were posing on stage... looking pale and weak even through the spray on tans. One of them was wobbly and could hardly muster up the strength to smile for her third place trophy... yeah, she was SHRED... cut so hard it was gross. Bleh.
    I don't know why some of the girls do that...
    Most of them seem to manage their cut in a manner so that they look really fit AND also alive/healthy.

I know the truth... all of those girls are going to look MUCH better when they eat and hydrate!
    But I still wouldn't want to cuddle with them.
    Not my style.
    Or their veiny/shreddy dude counterparts. *gag*
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Luce is offline Senior Member
    BodyBuilders in the gym I go to look healthy enough, the female trainer doesn't have a waist but that's the way her body is built. I hate the tan lotions though, those make people look terrible -like overcooked lean steaks.

(never understood why a woman would want to look shredded)

Fashion designers -some of them- really don't have a clear idea about how a female body is built, but you can't accuse Valentino, Armani, Christian Dior and Yves Saint Laurent (when alive and designing), Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana (for their main lines, those adult oriented), of not loving the female figure. More fashion female friendly goes with Alberta Ferretti, Burani, Franchi. Versace, Elie Saab, Zuhair Murad, Junia Watanabe, Chanel and that crazy genius Karl Laggerfeld is, you may find the right clothes and fit for anybody reasonable healthy or pointing toward health even if they're not size zero. Think Hervé Leroux or Max Azria.
    This doesn't imply each piece of fabric will hang the right way on you, I can't strut flapper dresses or balloon skirts and do a lot better on belted dresses or bandage dresses or baggie jeans. Cigaret pants look like shit on me, pair those with a baggy shirt and flats and I'll clearly resemble a fridge -a bad dressed fridge.

Nobody wakes up in the morning thinking: hey, you know, today I'm going to get lazier and fatter and dress with my worse pijama pants, kuddos! It happens, you think you are doing well, pile up a pound or two and then some other, you up your healthy grains, work, run, get stressed, all that just to wake up one day with things not going as you were promised by your doctor, all CV and advertisement. Some people at that point abandons the fight and I really don't feel like blaming it all on themselves.

Then curvy is curvy and blatantly fat is blatantly fat: I've met some professional BBW and all I can say is most of them were Big and Women but the Beautiful was totally missing. They have their fanclub though and a nice share of success in their thing.

Luce
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    Nobody wakes up in the morning thinking: hey, you know, today I'm going to get lazier and fatter and dress with my worse pijama pants, kuddos! It happens, you think you are doing well, pile up a pound or two and then some other, you up your healthy grains, work, run, get stressed, all that just to wake up one day with things not going as you were promised by your doctor, all CV and advertisement. Some people at that point abandons the fight and I really don't feel like blaming it all on themselves.
    No, but some people wake up in the morning thinking ''hey, I'm going to be more awesome at the end of the day than at the start. I'll make efforts to be wiser, smarter and healthier and have a better life''. And they do, and they don't waste time finding excuses.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    My husband had been one of those that assumed heavy people were stuffing their faces and were lazy about changing anything..............until I put on 30 pounds in a couple of months while eating hardly anything and walking miles and miles every week. Rita Rose had it right. Sometimes your body has different plans than you do.

Like Knifegill, I get a lot of my food at Grocery Outlet. Lower income people shop there and at Walmart and there is a definite higher percentage of overweight people shopping there than say, Whole Foods. That doesn't mean the Pacific Northwest has more overweight people than other areas of the country. Plenty of vitamin D to be had here, also.

I really believe that people are not receiving the proper education about how things you eat affect other things. That is what I found so fascinating about the initial chapters of Primal Blueprint. All this great information I could have known 40 years ago!! Keeping that in my mind and changing how I eat accordingly, while it hasn't given me a magical weightloss beyond the initial 20 pounds, has given me so many other positive benefits. My husband has/had a horrible sweet tooth and had accepted that at 66 years old would have that big belly that aging men get and couldn't do anything about it. Down 40 pounds and is at his high school weight because we learned that what is being sold to the masses right now is not what your body needs to function. His medical problems are vastly improved. As for me, I still struggle with society pressures and worry more about the scale than I need to. I think that is why there are so many weight loss posts, like the OP pointed out.

My husband has known me since I was 15, 5' 10' and 120 pounds. I am almost 54, still 5' 10" and am back down to 186 pounds from 206, yet at no point did I look obese. Interestingly enough, even though the scale isn't moving I can see my body composition changing. Focusing on numbers, whether weight or clothing size, is counter productive. I have never worn smaller than a 12 nor larger than a 16 in spite of an eighty pound difference in weight. I am finally getting to the point where I am able to focus more on what my body can do versus the need to be skinny. It has been a struggle, let me tell you! It is really difficult when you do everything CW says will work and have it do exactly the opposite.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    The problem here is that we lack clairvoyance. nobody else knows why you are fat. if you know why you are fat and you are not doing anything to control it then damn you to hell. if you dont know and you are searching then +1 to you and best of luck on the journey.

Honestly i think that anyone who is HWP and calls out any person that isn't HWP needs to get a broom shoved up their nethers.

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU? GOD. STFU - GTFO - Grow up.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    The problem here is that we lack clairvoyance. nobody else knows why you are fat. if you know why you are fat and you are not doing anything to control it then damn you to hell. if you dont know and you are searching then +1 to you and best of luck on the journey.

Honestly i think that anyone who is HWP and calls out any person that isn't HWP needs to get a broom shoved up their nethers.

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU? GOD. STFU - GTFO - Grow up.
    I love you. Really, I do.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Quelsen, you hit the nail on the head.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Luce is offline Senior Member
    ...errr please, what does HWP stand for?
    I usually can get away with all the "bad words" even when contracted which speaks volumes about how mature I am

Luce

People does not obsess about weight and size if they are not constantly reminded how unfit and unsexy they are by every single add they see and magazine they look at, not to talk about shows on TV. That when I understand -from reading post around the forum- neither women or men are looking for those body figures as partners but prefer a vast variety of body figures and shapes. I know Keyra Knightly is far too thin but you know what? In some pictures she looks "fat".
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    HWP, healthy weight person

Oh, and Quelsen...

ALL the {{{hugs}}} for that one.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast