Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so concerned with weight-loss? page 22

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    No, there's no excuse at all. The internet is even free at the library. People no longer have any excuse to not know things.

I'm not superior, I never would claim that. Just more persistent at finding answers because I know their value. Not everyone seeks answers, and they are choosing poorly, hence they are morons. Abject, intentional, self-made fools, if you will.

For all I know, and for our planet's sake, it's "superior" to get fat and die obese and legless at 55 years old. We are "inferior" for being irresponsible and wanting to occupy this planet for twice as long as others will. It's all perspective.
    No, I think you mistake what I mean.

There is not one answer to "the fat problem" on the Internet. There are approximately a bajillion of them. Many of them are mutually contradictory, many of them appear to have legitimate science backing them up, and many of them have dozens of testimonials by people who have tried Diet X and Exercise Program Y and been turned into lean, sexy people. Most of them have an attractive and charismatic guru expounding the benefits of their program and selling affiliated products. Sound familiar? The PB is not even close to being the only reasonable answer someone could come across, even if they are honestly looking. That doesn't make them morons. It just means they haven't been fortunate enough to find something that works for them yet.

And PB doesn't work for everyone, either! It's not the answer to every problem, and I think it's extremely arrogant to call someone stupid, simply because they may have a harder (or just different!) experience with weight loss than you have.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    No, I think you mistake what I mean.

There is not one answer to "the fat problem" on the Internet. There are approximately a bajillion of them. Many of them are mutually contradictory, many of them appear to have legitimate science backing them up, and many of them have dozens of testimonials by people who have tried Diet X and Exercise Program Y and been turned into lean, sexy people. Most of them have an attractive and charismatic guru expounding the benefits of their program and selling affiliated products. Sound familiar? The PB is not even close to being the only reasonable answer someone could come across, even if they are honestly looking. That doesn't make them morons. It just means they haven't been fortunate enough to find something that works for them yet.

And PB doesn't work for everyone, either! It's not the answer to every problem, and I think it's extremely arrogant to call someone stupid, simply because they may have a harder (or just different!) experience with weight loss than you have.
    +1

There are plenty of people on this board who are still struggling despite being primal because their issues may be more complex or maybe standard primal doesn't work for them well. Not everyone has an easy time losing fat, and I know at least one woman who gained significant weight on high fat paleo despite the people who claim that's impossible.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I love it when young lil' know-it-alls dismiss everyone as in the same boat, including those dealing with years of chronic illness, in one fell swoop! And feel superior while doing it too...

Yay!
    +1000

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I'm not talking about outliers with genuine chronic ailments. I'm talking about when I go shopping and can't get through the aisles because 9 out of 10 people at too fat to walk past. Total BS. There's no way you can pretend the obese masses are ALL afflicted with such issues. I look in their grocery carts. Nothing but frozen pizzas.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Why do we do that? Trying to put those girls down? From time to time there are pics in the magazines of the stars and models without make up that try to make them look as ugly as possible. Is not it the same as the Real Curves campaigns with XXXXL only backwards?
    I don't mean to put them down, just saying that most men I know, when seeing a woman with that body composition in real life, are not sexually attracted to her. And yet our society holds that body composition up as the ideal of feminine beauty. It just doesn't make sense.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I'm not talking about outliers with genuine chronic ailments. I'm talking about when I go shopping and can't get through the aisles because 9 out of 10 people at too fat to walk past. Total BS. There's no way you can pretend the obese masses are ALL afflicted with such issues. I look in their grocery carts. Nothing but frozen pizzas.
    Pictures or you are lying. I'm serious.

In Fathead, at the beginning, he's got the standard clips of fat people walking down the street like you see on any TV news station about to air something about obesity. He said it took him hours and hours to get enough clips of fat people for his film. The truth of the matter being that most people are not that fat.

Next time you go to the market I want a count of exactly how many people out of how many were too fat to walk past and I want to see a picture of anyone who has only frozen pizza in their cart who isn't a 22-year old college kid with a nice physique on his way to the beer aisle.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

My wife and I point and comment if we see a thin person. It's bad here.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I think there are a few things:
    1. Dissatisfaction with weight. The obese shopper blocking the aisle needs to lose weight for health's sake. We can look and identify the people who need to lose weight for health- their weight hinders them.

2. Dissatisfaction with body type. If you are an hourglass or athletic..... and want to be willowy, it likely won't happen without work that may jeopardize your health. If you are hourglass and don't get to lean athletic, it does NOT mean you are not optimizing your health. Non-lean people can be very fit and active and healthy.

3. There is nothing wrong with wanting to acheive a low body fat and working towards it, but assuming that people who don't have that goal are somehow unhealthy is ridiculous. To me, SB Hikes at 25% body fat has an amazingly healthy looking body and uses the hell out of it with her hiking. I don't for a minute that her being at 18% bodyfat would be a health, or even an aesthetic improvement.

4. Aesthetics are individual. If your idea of sexy are lean legs, and you have thunder thighs..... well, learn to love to something else on yourself. I do hate my thighs and arms. But damn, I love my ass, boobs and waist. I have no idea why fat never leaves my thighs, but you know what, I throw on a long sleeve V-neck wrap dress and say fuck it.

5. To knifegill.... none of the people posting here are blocking the aisle at the grocery store at 22% or 25% body fat. LOL..... those people are more like 55% body fat.

6. It is hard to get to a flat tummy.... for some people.... and life can get in the way. There is nothing wrong with settling for some belly fat or jiggly thighs if you are healthy. There is no reason to expect fit, healthy people with slightly higher than recommended body fat to go to great lengths to lose it. There is a big gap between the guy with non-defined abs and the gal with cut legs and the woman at the grocery too large to walk. That gap consists of a lot of really healthy bodies in a range of shapes and sizes, from very thin to " a little plump".
    7. You don't need to be lean to be athletic. I ran a marathon.... hell I WATCHED people FINISH ironman with jiggly thighs and beer bellies in front of lean people.
    8. If you can be lean, GREAT. But if it becomes too much of an obsession or you can't make it happen in a healthy way, it might be worthwhile to love yourself with a little extra fat.

Oh, I agree. Health over leanness! And all your criticisms have weight and spawn obvious if's and but's that we could go on for pages about.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey Knifegill what % BF do you suppose a person transfroms from being a complete moron to an intelligent human being?

Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast