Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so concerned with weight-loss? page 21

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    ....Mostly, I'm done being treated like a stupid little boy and rewarded for "doing my best" in a world of feminists. I still feel a twinge of shame when I type that I am a man. As if my gender is weak, stupid, and makes a fine house pet......
    I am certainly glad i grew up a bit before you did. If that is the true message that was beaten into your head as you grew up. That message+ the one i received that I was too fat to live..... I would have suicided until i got it right rather than give up after the third attempt.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    This is the kind of post that set off my BDD/ED alarm before. I'll try not to repeat the experience but to me this post reads "I am not happy with my natural shape! Skinny legs at any cost, and damn the consequences!"
    yep.

There are some things that just are. Our basic shape as a human is one of them. Without going to unhealthy EXTREMES on is not going to have any real impact on the way they are genetically predisposed to laying down subcutaneous fat.
    It actually sounds she has the "healthiest" and "most desirable" fat pattern for a woman... yet reviles it.

I know that it is a personal journey for each of us... but when a person starts to spend so much time obsessing about so few pounds, a few % BF, for so long a period of time... obsessing and failing over and over in cycles...
    I think it's time to stop, reassess the real reasons for the "need" and maybe even seek some counseling to deal with the obsession.

I'm still over weight... only a week or so ago I thought I was going to have to have brain surgery to feel any sort of normalcy in my life again (and I still might have to in the not so distant future)... I'm on medications, I have crazy food restrictions because of my medical situation...

But I feel that my relationship with food is MUCH more comfortable and healthy than Leida's... and that makes me feel bad for her.

Leida, Good luck to you. Find a way to love yourself no matter what your thighs look like. Make peace with your body.

I'm going to see a friend participate in a natural body figure competition tonight. She lost significant weight the past couple of years, works out, and got her personal trainer cert, in the process... But she doesn't carry the emotional part of this that you do IMO. And she does NOT strive to live in competition ready state. She prepares for competition by cutting, and lives her life very muscular but puffier/slightly heavier and less defined like they all do. It's a matter of being healthy.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    I remember reading on the internet one day (dangerous, I know...lol) that scientists hypothesized that the original sexual position of homo sapiens (and our immediate ancestors, one would suppose) was "doggie style." Which is why some men today find a woman's "trunk" highly attractive and a sign of sexual compatibility. The sexual attraction to breasts came later...when homo sapiens got more inventive in their man-caves, I suppose.

All this to say, female-pattern fat composition can be sexually attractive to men, and not just in a "I can probably give birth to a sturdy son" sort of way. This modern obsession with waif-thin thighs for females is actually sort of abnormal. As one highly intelligent male I know commented upon seeing the pictures in Seventeen/Teen Vogue/etc. "those aren't women, those are boys with tits!"

The blame, I believe, is that most of the top-of-the-line fashion designers today are gay men. Not judging them being gay, but honestly, they are going to design around what they find personally attractive, and they are simply not sexually attracted to sexually-fertile females. Even when these designers try to design "sexy" I almost always find the result to be...not-sexy. Seriously, think about what the same clothes would look like on a young man, and see how little it changes - sometimes it even looks sexier on a man than on a woman. It get even worse when these designers try to design "feminine" or "romantic" styles, oy vey, Freud would have some words to say to them if he were still alive.

Think about fashions from a few centuries ago, and while it is easy to characterize Victorian fashion as "misogynist" because of corsets and such, we should be fair and give an honest look. First off, corsets did not need to be so tight to impair breathing or organ function, before whale boning this was nearly impossible to achieve anyways. Dresses went through various variations, but they always emphasized the bust and the derriere. Low necklines (plus "push-up bras") and bustles emphasized these natural areas of sexual attraction - to almost extreme proportions. And through thoughtful placement of seams and decorative details many dresses had an arrow which pointed straight down to the crotch. I find it funny when people say that today's fashions are obscene because they leave so much skin bare - even with yards and yards of fabric clothing can still be "obscene"!

Because this post will probably be controversial anyways - let me just go on and say that while I think magazine and fashion models are poor representations of healthy female bodies, I have the same problem with many of the "Real Women Have Curves" campaigns. Yes, the slogan is true, to a certain extent. But the women usually held up as being "curvy" and not simply curvy, they're fat. Real Women Have Curves, yes, a size 6 or 8 or 10 (depending on height) woman is probably healthy and doesn't need to try to make herself a size 2, but don't show me a size 22W woman to tell me that. Now, I know obesity is a problem with a lot of emotional/psychological factors and we don't need to be mean to fat people just because they are fat. Lots of fat people have actual psychological eating disorders (my mom and my aunts and uncles are obese and with numerous health problems, and I trace most of it back to my grandfather who, like the experience of a previous poster, was constantly nagging my grandmother about her "diet") and for many obese people they are simply frustrated that following CW doesn't work so they give up. But saying "oh, it's ok" does not make it ok. Their doctor may do nothing but push more pills at them, but when I look at them I know that they need some real help, and placating them with meds and some BS about "curves" is not real help.

I'm not sure what my point with this is, actually. I actually have a cold right now, and am writing in a nasal-drip induced brain fog and should have warmed up my cup of bone broth a few hours ago. So uhhh... women having fat backsides can be a sexual turn on, ergo real women don't look like boys, ergo real women should be a normal size - for women. Wow, putting it that way doesn't sound controversial at all.

And this is all n=1 verified by my husband. In fact, if you strip away the make-up and glamour and air-brushing of the fashion models, most men would probably find them frighteningly unattractive in real life.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    What about us guys? We're raised to believe we're not only incompetent, lazy and overbearing - but then we're given a flabby gut to complete the picture. I want none of it. I want to be a competent, dedicated, equally involved fit person. And that means I don't want to look like Homer Simpson in any way whatsoever. To me, a guy with a gut is a guy who either has no clue about health and food in general - and so probably is not the most intelligent - or is proud to eat government rations of fake freedom food. And I don't want to know either one.
    Do you really believe that? My husband is highly intelligent and has never eaten fake foods and now for the first time in the 20+ years that I've known him he is no longer obese.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Yes. The instant I realized I actually had a belly that rolled down, I hit the learning path. Within three years, I'd figured it out. Only a complete moron would keep doing things that don't work.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Because of aesthetics. If getting to your goal body requires a bit of suffering, whats the problem? Its not unhealthy to look good, unless we're talking like 5% body fat.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    In fact, if you strip away the make-up and glamour and air-brushing of the fashion models, most men would probably find them frighteningly unattractive in real life.
    Why do we do that? Trying to put those girls down? From time to time there are pics in the magazines of the stars and models without make up that try to make them look as ugly as possible. Is not it the same as the Real Curves campaigns with XXXXL only backwards?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Yes. The instant I realized I actually had a belly that rolled down, I hit the learning path. Within three years, I'd figured it out. Only a complete moron would keep doing things that don't work.
    Not everyone has the same history, abilities, or dietary responses as you do, Knifegill. I think it's a little over the top to basically say you're superior to anyone who hasn't found an answer and lifestyle that works for them, yet.

But on the other hand, good on you for figuring out your own shit.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Not everyone has the same history, abilities, or dietary responses as you do, Knifegill. I think it's a little over the top to basically say you're superior to anyone who hasn't found an answer and lifestyle that works for them, yet.

But on the other hand, good on you for figuring out your own shit.
    No, there's no excuse at all. The internet is even free at the library. People no longer have any excuse to not know things.

I'm not superior, I never would claim that. Just more persistent at finding answers because I know their value. Not everyone seeks answers, and they are choosing poorly, hence they are morons. Abject, intentional, self-made fools, if you will.

For all I know, and for our planet's sake, it's "superior" to get fat and die obese and legless at 55 years old. We are "inferior" for being irresponsible and wanting to occupy this planet for twice as long as others will. It's all perspective.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I love it when young lil' know-it-alls dismiss everyone as in the same boat, including those dealing with years of chronic illness, in one fell swoop! And feel superior while doing it too...

Yay!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast