Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so concerned with weight-loss? page 16

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've bean eating a primal diet for a little over 2 yrs. I'm 5' 2" and I weighed 142 when I started and wore a size 12; I went down to 120 in the first 6 months of eating primal. My weight hasn't changed since then. I wear a size 8 in pants, when ever I read these types of threads I think " shouldn't I be wearing a smaller size?"

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I've bean eating a primal diet for a little over 2 yrs. I'm 5' 2" and I weighed 142 when I started and wore a size 12; I went down to 120 in the first 6 months of eating primal. My weight hasn't changed since then. I wear a size 8 in pants, when ever I read these types of threads I think " shouldn't I be wearing a smaller size?"
    Meh... let the obsessed be obsessed.
    If you are healthy and comfortable BE healthy and comfortable and enjoy every minute of it without rethinking it because of other peoples insecurities.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Huh, crazy.... a lot of it must be frame size. I'm kind of narrow but with beefy/muscular limbs. At my largest I was about 300lbs and wore a 26.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Looking for images of what women might look like in a more "natural" state. I can't say for sure how accurate any of these images are, some are old and some are newer and being able to see what they look like kind of makes you have to search for people in hot climates who don't wear very much clothing, but they certainly don't look like what I see on the cover of Shape magazine.

Blue Cloud Abbey Native American Photograph Collection

Cassiciare riverbank - a photo on Flickriver

Resource use > Yanomami

Mudimba tribe woman on wedding day - Angola | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Yahoo! Grupos
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Yes, but the Native Americains of that period are all but devastated by booze, smoke and disease, and the displacement from the traditional lands. The cultures with bloated stomachs are a result of systematic starvation and malnutrition. While we have a lifestyle disadvantage, we do have a nutritional advantage despite the problem of cheap low quality processed foods. I think it is actually folks who eat poorly who would look more like those malnourished tribes, only larger since they have access to >> foods..... I am still going with the Greeks as the best example of a civilization that had a nutritional variety & limited but sufficient food supply & low sugar intake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Let's not pretend pot-bellies are a sign of health. Yes, wild humans often look like that when they are hosting swarms of writhing worms. You're going to have some trouble convincing me to add tapeworms to my body to achieve a natural body composition. Yes, parasites lower cholesterol - and that's bad anyway. Moderately lean with a little fat for warmth and energy makes perfect sense.
    I didn't respond to these comments initially but they really bothered me. We look at primitive men and don't dismiss them as unhealthy and alcoholic. We think they are healthy and Mark even wrote a whole book inspiring us to try and be like them. But we look at primitive women and see all kinds of flaws and say ew, they look awful, they must be sick and diseased. Did anybody ever consider that some of those women might be pregnant? Did it occur to anyone that maybe thin arms, no 6-packs, no arm muscles, smooth, soft bodies with no particularly hourglass shape, little tummy rolls that hang over our grass skirts is what women actually really truly look like? I don't have worms and I'm not an alcoholic and I look more like those women than I ever will look like the lady on the cover of Shape or Cosmo. We're all so concerned with weight loss because we are held to an impossible standard. When do we women get OUR grok to live up to?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Actually, I was talking about both men and women. Plus, I do not share Mark's or Paleo vision of Primal paradise of healthy people. I am more along Diamond's vision of primitive cultures as a rather violent and miserable society, who did enjoy a lot of fresh air and free roaming but were checked by violence, stress and vice as much as we are today. I do know that the on-set of agriculture caused the failure of health, but I do not think primitive societies are ideal. I love the modern civilization and believe that humanitarian ideals will lead to a better world, sustainable development and the eventual smartening up of the human race. It is hard not to despair sometimes, but in the end, humanity should not have survived. And we did.

Primal/Paleo is no more than a non-toxic way of eating with a great fitness approach to me.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Actually, I was talking about both men and women. Plus, I do not share Mark's or Paleo vision of Primal paradise of healthy people. I am more along Diamond's vision of primitive cultures as a rather violent and miserable society, who did enjoy a lot of fresh air and free roaming but were checked by violence, stress and vice as much as we are today. I do know that the on-set of agriculture caused the failure of health, but I do not think primitive societies are ideal. I love the modern civilization and believe that humanitarian ideals will lead to a better world, sustainable development and the eventual smartening up of the human race. It is hard not to despair sometimes, but in the end, humanity should not have survived. And we did.

Primal/Paleo is no more than a non-toxic way of eating with a great fitness approach to me.
    This is one of the best posts I've seen on this forum and I agree with you 100%!!

Cossycarrick is offline Member
    I would like to lose weight but in a healthy way so my kids see thats its not good to be obese but its ok to enjoy food.
    I like them to eat natural and less junk food such as milk chocolate/bread/Happy Meals but also enjoy life and not get tied down to diets!! Hoping to set an example to them as they're still young and their mother is healthy and fit, unlike me for a few years but the last four i'v greatly improved!! As i say Enjoy life and live it

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    How the hell are you built? I'm 185 and a size 12.....5'6. Granted I carry a lot of muscle in my butt and thighs.

Weight and size is just crazy. I'd expect that if I weighed 130, I'd be a 2.... and that seriously, it would never actually happen.
    pics please
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Magnolia has some gorgeous pics on her journal thread. She definitely fits the curvy blonde goddess thing
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast