Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so concerned with weight-loss? page 14

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Because if she's fat, it tells me right away that she either can't find the right information to keep herself healthy, or that she has the right information but doesn't have the personal discipline to use it properly.
    From a female perspective....if I guy is TOO thin, has muscle and NO fat ANYWHERE, no padding, and completely lean, he would not be able to survive hard times in the wild.
    If I was male, I think I would feel the same about girls. I would not want to have some skinny chick with NO fat deposits tagging along with me through the wild trying to survive. She'd quickly exhaust her muscles including the heart and then have nothing to fall back on.

Most primitive people (the ones that aren't starving in the desert) have healthy padding around the body. It's funny how Hollywood killed most peoples natural instincts about what health should look like.
    And girls that run? Well non of them have tits and most don't even get their periods anymore.
    I blame the magazines...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    From a female perspective....if I guy is TOO thin, has muscle and NO fat ANYWHERE, no padding, and completely lean, he would not be able to survive hard times in the wild.
    Actually, those wiry guys gave run for the money to more padded guys when we used to do field geology trips with heavy backpacks and hammers and additional load of stones. African bushmen look pretty sinewy to me. Ancient Greeks had barely had any fat.... Romans considered fat a sign of moral degradation. Ancient Chinese cultivated an image of a lanky scholar. Buddists did a lot of things with fasting and asceticism. A fat medieval monk was a but of Renascence outrage with hypocrisy. Saints looked slender. Henry the VIII was endlessly pointed out as sinful and obese. The 19th century romantic poets and writers went as far as worship sickly dying girls with their last flash of beauty left by tuberculosis.

It's not Hollywood, it is a natural human instinct to consider a leaner body healthier. Only cultures that are starving or are past a hardship period start prefering fuller figures.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-22-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    Most primitive people (the ones that aren't starving in the desert) have healthy padding around the body. It's funny how Hollywood killed most peoples natural instincts about what health should look like.
    And girls that run? Well non of them have tits and most don't even get their periods anymore.
    I blame the magazines...
    This...
    The media's promotion of what is "beautiful", and what is accepted as beautiful by the masses due to media promotion, does not necessarily = healthy.

I even find myself thinking that many of the men in TV/Movie media lately need to stop cutting so hard and freaking eat for a change! Much less the extremist diet actresses...

And the runners/triathletes... Central FL is rife with them, there is a national training center just a few miles from my house. Often when they are training you cannot tell the men from the women. I'm NOT joking. I've been with guy friends, including my husband, who went to ogle a runner or cyclist with a pony tail only to look back to find that it was a dude, or just be thoroughly confused. Many of the males and females both have pretty much the same body fat and build... That lack of fat really shows in their skin and hair IMO. They look less healthy.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Luce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Actually, those wiry guys gave run for the money to more padded guys when we used to do field geology trips with heavy backpacks and hammers and additional load of stones. African bushmen look pretty sinewy to me. Ancient Greeks had barely had any fat.... Romans considered fat a sign of moral degradation. Ancient Chinese cultivated an image of a lanky scholar. Buddists did a lot of things with fasting and asceticism. It's not Hollywood, it is a natural human instinct to consider a leaner body healthier. Only cultures that are starving or are past a hardship period start prefering fuller figures.
    Well yes, fuller bodies have more success during hard times, when fullness implies wellness/richness.
    On the other hand one who knows food will come tomorrow and the day after tomorrow wouldn't binge on anything because scarcity would never be a problem. I see this with my permanently empty fridge, I don't store food at home but choose to buy fresh stuff everyday, this thing sends my ex mother in law (who lived through ww2 during her infancy) up the walls because she feels some primal desperation connected to food shortages. I never lived through food shortages, never suffered a deprivation time (well, only related to my medical condition but that doesn't count) so when I binge and if I binge is because there's some stuff out there I really like (chocolate anyone?).
    I guess there should be some distinction made between fuller figures, overweight bodies and obesity because there's no way a size zero could be healthy for every single woman out there. I'm finding some equilibrium with my weight now after so much effort and I'm willing to work my ass out in order to get a firmer, toned body with o loose skin but my final goal is to live a healthy life and if that implies I'll never get rid of some fat so be it: I'm tired of punishing myself for not being able to fit into some old skinny pants.

Luce
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Leida, I hear you in your contrariness. I live in So Cal on the coast and work at a university on the coast, so I see a lot of beautiful people. I don't care what anybody says about chronic cardio, the runners all look the best of anybody. Best muscles, flattest stomachs, best tans, best posture, most healthy-looking, most radiant. Maybe surfer dudes look better than runner dudes, but only some of them, and nobody looks better than the runner ladies.
    The opposite here. Runners in NW Washington all look disgusting. Mostly bones, sunken eyes, floppy necks from all the muscle wasting. Gray skin - they largely look like zombies.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    One more tamarind, MATT DAMON
    might be the day I tried the liver - just like you

Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Looking for images of what women might look like in a more "natural" state. I can't say for sure how accurate any of these images are, some are old and some are newer and being able to see what they look like kind of makes you have to search for people in hot climates who don't wear very much clothing, but they certainly don't look like what I see on the cover of Shape magazine.

Blue Cloud Abbey Native American Photograph Collection

Cassiciare riverbank - a photo on Flickriver

Resource use > Yanomami

Mudimba tribe woman on wedding day - Angola | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Yahoo! Grupos
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yes, but the Native Americains of that period are all but devastated by booze, smoke and disease, and the displacement from the traditional lands. The cultures with bloated stomachs are a result of systematic starvation and malnutrition. While we have a lifestyle disadvantage, we do have a nutritional advantage despite the problem of cheap low quality processed foods. I think it is actually folks who eat poorly who would look more like those malnourished tribes, only larger since they have access to >> foods..... I am still going with the Greeks as the best example of a civilization that had a nutritional variety & limited but sufficient food supply & low sugar intake.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    From what I've seen of what they ate, the ancient Greeks did not fear fruit.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Let's not pretend pot-bellies are a sign of health. Yes, wild humans often look like that when they are hosting swarms of writhing worms. You're going to have some trouble convincing me to add tapeworms to my body to achieve a natural body composition. Yes, parasites lower cholesterol - and that's bad anyway. Moderately lean with a little fat for warmth and energy makes perfect sense.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    One more tamarind, MATT DAMON
    might be the day I tried the liver - just like you

Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    If I was male, I think I would feel the same about girls. I would not want to have some skinny chick with NO fat deposits tagging along with me through the wild trying to survive. She'd quickly exhaust her muscles including the heart and then have nothing to fall back on.

I blame the magazines...
    Some of you people have weird f-up view of the world. Seriously.

Look, I said fat, not ''slightly overweight''. The ex-wife was 5''2, 125lbs, in a very good shape, could do pull-ups or hike super long or do pretty much any activity, yet still sported enough body fat to have 34C-34D boobs. I couldn't have asked for a hotter girl. I don't care about Hollywood or whatever magazines stupid girls brainwash themselves with. When I say fat, you're the one who assumes that the opposite is anorexic/starving/disgusting model. Not fat to me encompasses a whole range of body shapes and levels of fitness.

I simply said that if a girl is fat, I know right away her lifestyle doesn't fit with mine. It doesn't mean I'll automatically jump on a girl who isn't fat, because she could be stupid/a junkie/batshit insane/vegan/whatever funny reason I can find to dislike her for. It's just a fast and easy way to screen for my preferences, and since people's IQ isn't written on their forehead, I start by screening with body shape.

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast