Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so concerned with weight-loss? page 12

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    And you are right- people only see fat. They don't see great skin and a person that is aging well with shiny hair. They don't see someone who can run a marathon or hike for 2 hours up a steep trail. They don't see someone who hasn't been sick in years. ...
    I DO! Sure I see fat, but I also sometimes wish I had her sense of style, glossy hair, or infectious smile.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I guess I don't really care because the number has never been a frame of reference for me. I never knew what the numbers were for people or thought about it like I have for pounds on the scale or inches around the waist.

25% might be spot on for me. Parts of my body appear to me to be around 15% (my legs) and parts around 50% (my arms.) All I know for sure is nothing seems to move it permanently to a more visually appealing place.
    25% is not that much for a woman right? I always thought like between 18 and 22 or something was pretty "skinny" for a woman
    Billie trips balls

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    I just read this over the weekend - it is so spot on why we should not rely on the scale. Read if you have the time:

http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/06/22/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Mamchibi is offline Junior Member
    That was a good article, catholicchick, thanks.
    please be patient with me, i'm a newbie.

ERC
    ERC is offline Junior Member
    I think weight is an easy thing to measure which is why it is so frequently talked about. In addition, when you lose obvious weight and people notice, one of the first questions you are asked is "you look great. How much did you lose?" Going on a long diatribe about how weight doesn't matter and it's not as important as X, Y and Z is just annoying in my opinion. I would rather say I lost X by eating what my body needs, and getting an opportunity to talk about Primal.

Also, while perhaps not the best measurement, weight is still a useful bench mark. My basic premise is that if the scale is going down or remaining constant (easy to measure) and my lifts are improving (easy to measure) than I am doing it right and moving in the right direction. Over complicating this with measurements, body fat % or other factors, while all important, are too burdensome i feel for most people, myself included.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yup. Half the men and three-quarters of the women would see you that way. And one big-mouthed idiot would tell you all about how you deserve it and you're a fat slob, too.
    Don't worry, if you are all that, but trying hard to be fit, eat well and gods forbid tell the truth, the same people will tell you that you are obsessive, anorexic and should gain weight so men can like you.

Yeah, good screaming folks, I like and want the legs on the left. I told the truth and told you why. I understand that in your opinion I should express gratitude for your flurry of judgment, insinuations and home-spun psycho-analysis. I am not expressing this gratitude. Neither I experience humbleness, humiliation, a moment of sudden healing and immediate acceptance that my views of a healthy &fit female body are inferior to some other posters'. I know better what's good and right for me. I also do not require a universal or personal approval from anyone to assess my self-worth.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-21-2012 at 09:07 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I was skinny fat on CW but weighed 160 lbs.
    I went primal and even though I lost 20 lbs (average weight now 140-143 lbs) initially, I gained a lot of muscle tissue, grew bigger boobs (from 34D to 34 DD) and have a bigger butt and upper thighs.
    2.5 years of primal and eating whatever and however much I want including raw dairy, my weight has stayed a constant 142 lbs. It doesn't matter if I stuff my face or if I do IF, my weight won't budge.
    On CW I wore about a size 10...and on primal I now wear anything from size 7-11 depending on the maker.
    My waist size hasn't changed but I bulked up quite a bit, rendering all tops too small and most pants too tight around my ass.

I no longer obsess over a number on a scale or on a piece of clothing. My feet have also grown, I used to wear a size 9.5 and since primal my feet grew to a 10.5 / 11.

I don't care. I know with all this 'bulking' up since going primal surely my bones have grown, too, and gotten thicker and more sturdy...this is what I was after.

So I carry around 10 extra pounds of fat in the right places, I don't care anymore and I actually laugh at those who ruin every day of their life by obsessing over food portions, calories burned or carbs consumed.
    I found homeostasis and I'm happy as hell that I did.
    Would've never happened on CW.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    My waist size hasn't changed but I bulked up quite a bit, rendering all tops too small and most pants too tight around my ass.
    Way to grow some junk in your trunk!

Yeah, I love the primal/paleo afters- they usually show great bodies. I see so many other pics of CW loss and people look like deflated jelly fish.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I see so many other pics of CW loss and people look like deflated jelly fish.
    so true!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Don't worry, if you are all that, but trying hard to be fit, eat well and gods forbid tell the truth, the same people will tell you that you are obsessive, anorexic and should gain weight so men can like you.

Yeah, good screaming folks, I like and want the legs on the left. I told the truth and told you why. I understand that in your opinion I should express gratitude for your flurry of judgment, insinuations and home-spun psycho-analysis. I am not expressing this gratitude. Neither I experience humbleness, humiliation, a moment of sudden healing and immediate acceptance that my views of a healthy &fit female body are inferior to some other posters'. I know better what's good and right for me. I also do not require a universal or personal approval from anyone to assess my self-worth.
    Ehh I like the legs on the left too and I don't care whether men prefer them or not! (Sad fact... my legs will most likely never be those legs... I've had enormous thighs forever no matter what I've weighed in the past).

Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast