Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so concerned with weight-loss? page 11

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'll bet anything I'm not as lean as Mark or as randy.
    Now, fellow parsers, is that sentence missing:
    (A) a capital "R" or
    (B) a comma?
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cantare View Post
    Now, fellow parsers, is that sentence missing:
    (A) a capital "R" or
    (B) a comma?

Waaaaaahhhhhh! <wipes tears from eyes>

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    I'll guess (B).

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Comma!

Though I have to admit to being tempted to write "coma" just for the sake of being annoying.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I'll bet anything I'm not as lean as Mark or as randy.
    Just wonder how you know you are 25% body fat. Most of the systems that use bio-electric impedance technology are very unreliable. Best to get a competent exercise physiologist to do an accurate skin-fold or a water submersion/displacement test. Also, I would get your Basal Metabolic Rate calculated and make sure your daily net calories are consistently below your weight maintenance level.(usually about 1.2 X BMR). Total calories consumed minus exercise expenditure = net calories.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I used an online calculator. I honestly don't know or really care what the actual number is. But people kept asking so I put the number in my signature so they would stop.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

I used an online calculator. I honestly don't know or really care what the actual number is. But people kept asking so I put the number in my signature so they would stop.
    Okay, I understand. The online calculator's are way off in most cases. I doubt very much you are 25% body fat. Anyway it doesn't matter since its not important to you.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Is it shallow? Hell yea. We live in a shallow world where looks got weight (no pun intended).
    Do I treat like this to myself as well? Unfortunately, yes. I'm a perfectionist, obsessive person. Many people are.
    I don't hate fat people. It is just impossible for me to look beyond their flaws and try to get to know them.
    No one is perfect and I'm sure they are wonderful people.
    I know my attitude is wrong but I just can't change my mind about seeing a fat person and not thinking he's given up on himself.
    Well, that answers your question about concern over fat loss- your attitude. I don't want to be seen by you as a fat disgusting pig. I don't want you assuming I treat my body like a garbage bin. That's why I have spent the past 15 years doing everything and anything I can to lose the fat. I am tired of being lumped in with the heifers at McDonalds even though I eat primal. Just like when I did a marathon- I was tired of the assumption I was a couch potato.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your attitude and assumption, and nothing wrong with my focus on losing fat above all other points of health. For me, I am VERY lucky in that I am healthy otherwise. I just carry around lard on my thighs and arms. I've always felt pretty good and any additional well being is just icing on the cake.

And you are right- people only see fat. They don't see great skin and a person that is aging well with shiny hair. They don't see someone who can run a marathon or hike for 2 hours up a steep trail. They don't see someone who hasn't been sick in years. They just see fat.

Our bodies are always striving for perfection but we keep throwing up roadblocks. Stress, poor, unnatural diets and lack of the right kind of exercise prevent us from reaching our potential. Each person's potential is different and we should try to stop comparing ourselves to others and simply strive to be the best we can be. Eat right, exercise properly and over time your body will adjust accordingly. Focus on the process, the results will take of themselves. Your inner health will shine through in your skin, hair and attitude even if you don't reach society's perception of the perfect figure or physique.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Okay, I understand. The online calculator's are way off in most cases. I doubt very much you are 25% body fat. Anyway it doesn't matter since its not important to you.
    I guess I don't really care because the number has never been a frame of reference for me. I never knew what the numbers were for people or thought about it like I have for pounds on the scale or inches around the waist.

25% might be spot on for me. Parts of my body appear to me to be around 15% (my legs) and parts around 50% (my arms.) All I know for sure is nothing seems to move it permanently to a more visually appealing place.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast