Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in myself page

verdilak is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Molecular Grokologist View Post
    No fajitas? That's my standby at Mexican places.
    Same here, I love getting fajitas when we go out for Mexican, though sometimes the oil they use for the cooking messes with me. My biggest problem is staying away from the fresh salsa with chips and waiting until the fajitas are served so I can eat the salsa with my meat and veggies.
    Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Aarambh is offline Junior Member

I started PB over 3 weeks ago. I have been slowly getting into it and the last week was awesome cause i was completly following PB barring some dairy.

Today at work we had a manager visit from a different location and we had to go out for lunch, and i had no say in the Pick, the place they decided on was a small mexian resturant and there were no primal friendly foods on the menu , not even a salad. Not wanting to look too finicky in front of so many people i ended up ordering enchilads.

I feel so bad about it but didnt know what to do in that situation. How do you handle such situations?

Homer Simpson: I'll have the smiley face breakfast special. Uhh, but could you add a bacon nose? Plus bacon hair, bacon mustache, five o'clock shadow made of bacon bits and a bacon body.
    Waitress: How about I just shove a pig down your throat?
    (Homer looks excited)
    Waitress: I was kidding.
    Homer Simpson: Fine, but the bacon man lives in a bacon house!

brian7972 Guest

I remind myself of the 80/20 rule, dust myself off, and carry on.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Carry on, carry on! You are not a god or a robot but a person who sometimes does regrettable things. Unless you're parachuting heroine or something you can redeem yourself and make up for it.

Just yesterday I had a cup of chickpeas. 95:5 rule!

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

No fajitas? That's my standby at Mexican places.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

hahaha parachuting heroin!

Don't feel bad about it, I have a friend who does this rather constantly and she needs to control her binging but you just had some peer pressure on you and dealt with it the only way you knew how. Honestly, NOT getting something to eat can definitely alienate you a bit and I fully understand. I try to go for primal choices (especially when out) but when these aren't available I try to make due and just eat less or something but NOT eating can make you look rather pretentious. Just my opinion of course.

EDIT: Two things I forgot to say,

- You could have tried to ask for a meal that better suited your lifestyle, like the poster above said, fajitas can be a great choice. You could have also just asked for some beef or chicken and a side of vegetables and most restaurants should cater to that. Alternatively you can make changes to an existing food item (asking for no cheese, or asking for veggies instead of beans, etc) within reason, most places accommodate.

- Your friends could and should respect your choice not to eat (I'm countering my own statement) and shouldn't judge you for it. The downside to this is that it can give off a weird vibe, and your friends could even worry about you skipping meals. I find its best to try and work with what you're given, and order something small, close to primal, or both.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Aarambh is offline Junior Member

Thanks Guys! I know that i should leave this behind and keep marching forward.

@iniquity : I agree with your suggesstion and i guess this is where i should have stood strong, but instead not wanting to look very finicky about the food and trying keep myslef away from answering all those questions that would follow i guess i just gave in.

Im dissapointed that i failed in a test of my strengths and my ability to stand for what i believe in

@Molecular Grokologist. Believe me there were no Fajitas , they would have been my go to choice as well.

Homer Simpson: I'll have the smiley face breakfast special. Uhh, but could you add a bacon nose? Plus bacon hair, bacon mustache, five o'clock shadow made of bacon bits and a bacon body.
    Waitress: How about I just shove a pig down your throat?
    (Homer looks excited)
    Waitress: I was kidding.
    Homer Simpson: Fine, but the bacon man lives in a bacon house!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

eh...one meal won't kill ya. One thing I *like* about this lifestyle is that it's very forgiving. I don't think it's necessarily a matter of "standing up for what you believe in" vs "caving"...sometimes it's simply wanting to share in a social experience that involves a meal. Or just eat something tasty that might be less than a "primal ideal." Don't let perfection stand in the way of good

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

@Aarambh, I fully understand. My friends sort of know how I eat (and have made fun of me a lot on facebook for putting up food pics, I was just proud of myself for cooking!) and when we go out to eat and I make changes to what I order I always hear about it "Do you have to be healthy all the time?!" and I just either brush it off or respond sarcastically or something "do you have to be unhealthy all the time?!" seems to work and gets a laugh, however...

When I was training in Muay Thai, my trainer told me "friends can be haters" and that in a sick sort of way they want you to be like them, eat like them, etc... since they're not worried about changing their eating habits they find anybody that IS taking a step to better themselves to be somewhat bothersome. They'll reach with either indifference, admiration, or most often than not, jealousy. Your friends, as much as they love you, can also be a little jealous that you're trying to proactively change your life while they do nothing. Of course you can't turn around and tell them that, but see if you can spot those usual suspects that always have something to say, chances are, they're a little jealous of you, wishing you'd shut up and eat that bread.

They say misery loves company, I think the same logic applies here. People resist change, even when it doesn't affect them in the least.

Excuse my language, but what you eat won't make them shit. I use that one a lot too. It's true in more ways than one.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member

I have found I can eat at almost any restaurant. Most have some kind of plain meat or fish, along with a side of veggies. However, steakhouses rule!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast