Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper coconut oil? page

Primal is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by bro0kiebaby View Post
    ok, cool...

so I'll warm it and let you guys know how it goes. As for the taste I'll grab the 'virgin' CO for some taste. I bet it's great for cooking eggs in huh? OH WOW or simmering brussel sprouts in... yeah, can't wait now!

THANKS!
    You'll probably be disappointed in using it as a salad dressing. Lukewarm (which it would need to be to be pourable) over salad doesn't seem very appealing.

Primal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bro0kiebaby View Post
    ok, cool...

so I'll warm it and let you guys know how it goes. As for the taste I'll grab the 'virgin' CO for some taste. I bet it's great for cooking eggs in huh? OH WOW or simmering brussel sprouts in... yeah, can't wait now!

THANKS!
    You'll probably be disappointed in using it as a salad dressing. Lukewarm (which it would need to be to be pourable) over salad doesn't seem very appealing.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

Or does it exist? I can't find any for less that $9.00. Is that normal? Coconut shrimp cooked in olive oil is good, but I'm sure they'd be better in coconut oil.

Suggestions?

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member

I suggest a baggy sweatshirt to give you the five-finger discount...

No, seriously though, you're not gonna find it for much cheaper than that. It's spendy stuff. O_o

I know many people here like the Tropical Traditions brand, though I've never tried it myself. Not cheaper, but definitely quality stuff.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/vi...oconut_oil.htm

DebFM is offline Senior Member

If you have a Whole Paycheck near you their house brand (365) is $7. A couple bucks cheaper, anyway!

lcme is offline Senior Member

It's so calorie/fat dense that it's totally worth it!

I would personally buy different brands till you like one the best. The first one I tried was mucho expensivo and the taste sucked and made me want to gag, whereas the cheapo one I have now is great.

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member

I can get it at the Commissary for $5 a jar.

<ducking>

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

bro0kiebaby is offline Member

Hi guys, I&#39;m new here. Soooooo, I have a couple questions about coconut oil...

Is it good on salad? -and if so what mixes with it, like vinegar or what just salt and pepper? And what should it taste and feel like, ya know a good variety should be what- sweet, or tangy or thick and sticky or smooth.???.. I&#39;m getting some tonight when I go shopping, but I wanted some heads up on it if anyone can fill in some details.

thanks!

Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow's a Mystery ~ Today is a Gift...
    That is why they call it THE PRESENT

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Never tried it on salad as it&#39;s solid at room temp bit like butter - doesn&#39;t take much to melt...

grandma is offline Member

CO is solid at room temp, so it&#39;s application as a salad oil is somewhat limited. It turns liquid at around 100F so you can warm is slightly and use in salad.

I got some cheap stuff at walmart $6 for a big jar, but it is the refined stuff so it is flavorless, which I find to be a real bummer. I love the flavor of the virgin stuff.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast