Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price of Ground Beef Hits Record High page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Price of Ground Beef Hits Record High

Primal Fuel
    (CNSNews.com) - The average price of ground beef hit a record high in the United States in July, according to data released Wednesday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
    The BLS has been tracking the average price of a pound of 100% ground beef since 1984. In July, it cost $3.085, up from $3.007 in June.
    Prior to June, the average cost of 100% ground beef in the United States had never topped $3.00.

Price of Ground Beef Hits Record High | CNSNews.com

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Probably because just about everyone except MalWart promised to get rid of the pink slime. Meat costs money.

95/5 grass fed ground beef at the local Whole Foods $7.99/lb plus we're fortunate enough (sarcasm) to have a 4.5% sales tax on food.

wiltondeportes Guest
    My uncle tells me a lot of things. Some are totally accurate, and some are exaggerations. On meat, he is currently stocking an extra freezer full of meat and fruit because of the food crisis that will hit this nation within a year or so. Apparently a great water shortage as well as rough weather over the past year ruined a high percentage of this year's crops and also forced farmers to slaughter way more cattle than they wanted to. Some people lost all of their herd because they simply couldn't feed them or give them water. The effects of the crop and cattle loss are not IMMEDIATE, but he expects stories like the one above to become headlines and major issues in the coming months.

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    And as usual, the government is doing everything in its power to make the situation that much worse:

Obama Administration Seeks To Inflate Meat Prices

This president must be the 2nd stupidest we've had.

Is there a Canadian out there who needs a wife?

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Is there a Canadian out there who needs a wife?
    I'm not Canadian, but I'm preparing to move to Uruguay. Which, btw, is where Wegmans gets its grass fed beef. Ooops...wait a minute. Don't think my fiancee would appreciate my inviting you along, so never mind. lol

Seriously, it was shocking that the president wants the price of meat to increase in order to keep the bribes from the ethanol producers coming. We are all getting screwed six ways from Sunday, and the political hacks in DC are ok with that. They got theirs, so we can just suck hind...well, you know the rest.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    Wiltondeportes has it pretty much right, it all comes back to supply and demand on multiple fronts.

There is a limited supply of feed for the cattle and pork out there and it is decreasing, as existing crops in storage are being used, grass hasn't been growing due to the drought, and most of the corn belt got hit hard with the drought as well (for example, last time I checked, 49% of the corn in the fields in my state was rated poor or very poor). Sure, the producers can slaughter their animals to avoid the run up in feed costs, but that only helps them in the short term, as they will need to buy or breed their replacement stock (the former isn't cheap, when cattle prices are increasing and the latter takes years).

At the same time, demand is increasing, due to increased exports to/demand from the Asian market, the ethanol mandate (and the article overstated the use, but it would take about 24.4 million acres of the 89.1 million that are planted in corn, or roughtly 27.5% of the total US corn goes to ethanol) as well as people wanting their steak.

So yeah, there is a bit of a perfect storm in meat prices on the horizen and as people are starting to see that, it is getting reflected in the prices at the supermarket. I haven't looked to see if the liveweight (i.e., wholesale) price of beef has been going up, but I'm betting it has.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    we pay $12.50 per kilo12.50, so we pay $5.68 per lb, or $4.58 in US dollars.

So, i'm not that upset about it honestly.

When you are also paying $8.76 per gallon of gas (exchange rate at 7.07USD), then I'll pull out my violin for you.

Of developed nations, NZ has one of the lowest per-capital income rates, and yet we pay a lot for basic essentials that americans --- who have a lot of wealth -- complain about.

Be honest, living in another country opens one's eyes to the value of what you have -- including when you are actually happy to pay that much for your food.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Virginia View Post
    I'm not Canadian, but I'm preparing to move to Uruguay. Which, btw, is where Wegmans gets its grass fed beef. Ooops...wait a minute. Don't think my fiancee would appreciate my inviting you along, so never mind. lol
    Awww.... you're sweet. I'm guessing I'm way too old for you anyway.

Re-word: Are there any Canadian old farts who need a wife?

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Prices are going up here in Canada too. Gas prices have a huge impact on the cost of farming, and with poor yields here due to lack of rain, things could get expensive. Bales of hay have doubled in price, corn and wheat isn't good this year. I'm very fortunate to be able to buy from the farm gate, I couldn't afford much in the store.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast