Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG! Chicken Livers! page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Chicken liver pate is great.
    Fry up some liver in a bunch of butter. Spice any way you like while cooking. I like Italian herbs, garlic, s&p, and a dash of sherry (or not). Then use a hand blender or put everything in the regular blender and add some cream. Blend until reeeealy smooooth.
    Then cool and put in tupperware cups to chill.
    Pate makes a great portable Primal protein option. Also a good breakfast option when you don't feel like cooking.

(can be made with other kinds of liver too)

Baba is offline Member
    Oh, wait until you've tried duck liver....

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I will have to try pate next. I had the liver again for supper, and I wasnt quite as hungry and it was a tad cooled off by the time I got around to it, and already had salad on the plate so I didnt feel like going to the trouble to warm it up, so it wasn't quite as yummy as lunch but still good.

How often should one eat it and how much at a time? I can look it up also, was just wondering.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Baba View Post
    Oh, wait until you've tried duck liver....
    and goose.....

About frequency of liver eating. The only real answer is "it depends". There is a lot of conflicting info out there. Everything from eat it every day if you want to live to if you eat more than one once once a week you will die. Frankly I think a lot of the fear about "ODing" on liver is overblown. It is chock full of some wonderful vitamins. If you are already taking a lot of supplements, you should think about the overlap. Otherwise just enjoy when you feel like it. When your body has had enough, it will tell you. Liver just won't appeal that day.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-16-2012 at 12:34 AM.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I admit, all I've had is beef liver. I do have some lambs liver in the freezer somewhere, I should dig it out and try it. I will have to try chicken liver, I love pâté but have never made my own either.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My mom and I used to fight over the turkey liver on Thanksgiving and Christmas when I was a kid.

I say eat all the liver you want. When you don't want it, you've had enough. The danger is overblown. Polar bear liver is what you want to worry about. Like anybody's going to see that at the market.

I've been getting into trying all kinds of odd bits lately. Pork belly with skin (one day I'll get it crispy), oxtails, the giblets with my whole chicken (cockscomb anyone?). I just tried tongue. Wow that's good cold! I keep looking for chicken hearts. One of these days I'll muster the courage for kidney but I think I have the guts to try hog maw first (ha ha, get it? Hog maw is stomach.) I'll stuff it with sausage and sweet potatoes or something like that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I say eat all the liver you want. When you don't want it, you've had enough.
    I've been getting into trying all kinds of odd bits lately.
    I froze it this morning. Didnt sound appealing again :P So that will be like 3 meals for like 2 bucks. Awesome!

When I was married the first time around, we butchered all our own stuff. So it was nothing to fix cow tongue. I tried pork rinds for the first time the other day. Have never been to our local Testicle Festival, not sure how those rank. I am sure those are breaded and deep fried in crap though. I don't think I have ever had kidney. I dont think I have ever had any brains either. Or I guess most any of that stuff actually. I think I have had hearts before.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    You've inspired me to take my organic lamb livers out of the freezer! (And get some organic chicken livers at the farmers' market tonight....)

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    me too! On the fresh, cage free natural chicken livers. You guys have made me hungry for them

Thunderchild is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I froze it this morning. Didnt sound appealing again :P So that will be like 3 meals for like 2 bucks. Awesome!

When I was married the first time around, we butchered all our own stuff. So it was nothing to fix cow tongue. I tried pork rinds for the first time the other day. Have never been to our local Testicle Festival, not sure how those rank. I am sure those are breaded and deep fried in crap though. I don't think I have ever had kidney. I dont think I have ever had any brains either. Or I guess most any of that stuff actually. I think I have had hearts before.
    My dad used to fix us cow or pig brains with scrambled eggs. Man was that good. I miss it. When I lived in NC, they sold chicken livers in the KFC. Now I was not Paleo way back then but I lived off of those livers!! Man talk about something good!! Life in the country.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast