Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to forget about the marshmallow? page

David Birchall is offline Junior Member
    Knutsford at weekends, Lancaster through the week

Primal Fuel

I read a post on LeanGains (not sure if I've got it word for word but...). A study on three children: each sat next to a desk with a marshmallow on top, the children could either eat it now and receive no more marshmallows or wait 20 minutes at which time they would receive one more marshmallow. Two of the children sat obsessed with the marshmallow, looking at the clock every second to see if the time had gone down yet. The other child did not look once at the clock or the marshmallow. He simply ignored it. Unsurprisingly the two children who obsessed over it ended up eating it before the 20 minutes and did not receive another marshmallow. The child who ignored the marshmallow ended up the reward of a second marshmallow after the 20 minutes.

So, obsess over goals and we will never (or find it very hard) to achieve them. Forget about them and we succeed.

OK, I'm one of the first two children. I was trying to break the sub 10% BF mark for months on a carb cycling diet counting calories and carbs to a tee but I always fell flat on my face ending up over indulging on the high carb days. The past twenty days or so I have gone back to primal and am now 8.9% according to skinfold!!! Obviously this is great great progress in twenty days which I put down to only eating when hungry instead of frequent meals to keep the metabolism burning and IF.

However I have a problem. I can't stop thinking about the marshmallow. It's taking over my life! when I eat my mind analyses my food: those sausages, fatty, but how many sneaky carbs?. When I IF: what if I've gone on too long and muscle breakdown is occurring? I don't think I've eaten enough protein today... but I'm not hungry! Should I have had that teaspoon of cream in my coffee? Dairy dairy dairy, insulin insulin insulin! The words: carbs, fats and proteins running through my head... OK you get the idea, I'm obsessed. All I want is to live my life without thinking about it so much but it is just so hard when living primally is so different from the normal every day life of those around me. (I watch in disgust as my family gorge on bread and grow ever fatter even after explaining that carbs are the problem - not fat!)

Does anyone else feel obsessed with their goal? Should I worry if I don't think I've eaten enough protein? How do you forget about your marshmallow? Help please!

Sorry for the gargantuan post here guys! I know I should just relax and forget about it... but how do I stop thinking about it?

jennf is offline Senior Member

David, I could have written your post! I am forever obsessing, tweaking, wondering what would happen if I did (insert random diet and/or exercise change here). I weigh and measure myself too often and compare my progress to others constantly. All bad things.

Here is what I am doing to try to forget about the marshmallow. Now that I understand how the whole PB thing works, I just started a 6-week plan where I have promised myself not to change anything for that 60 days. I won't add or remove foods or workouts, no calorie or ratio counting, no weighing or measuring. I will listen to my body and what it needs, and whatever the outcome after 6 weeks is what it is. I'm doing healthy things for my body so I have to let it change at its own pace. It ain't gonna be easy, but I really need to get out of my obsessive rut!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

WAHH! i read the same study! i did a post about it relating to my recovery! it is such a thought provoking study. while i didnt relate to it in the same context you did it is a very noteworthy observation!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

David, thanks for posting this. It really got me thinking. Currently, I am obsessing over the marshmallow. I started the PB in late August '09, fully committed in September, and have now lost a total of 23 pounds, but plateaued the last few months. Because I still have about 70 pounds to lose, I totally obsessed over what I might be doing wrong. Finally figured that I'd stopped listening to my body, was eating when I wasn't really hungry, and my portion sizes were too large. Plus, my fat percentage was too low, protein too high. I'd coasted, thinking that if I was eating 99% primal, the weight would take care of itself. Wrong!

So, now, I'm obsessing. Entering everything into FitDay, carefully considering whether I'm hungry before I eat, and agonizing over my meal decisions.

I can only hope that someday I can coast again, but after a lifelong struggle with my weight, I may need to obsess forever. Sigh.

Luogotenente is offline Junior Member

You're definitely not alone. I find myself obsessing over what I have or haven't eaten, if I ate because I was bored or hungry, if I IF'd properly or not... I've been the exact same weight and measurements for a week which is a first. I should probably be happy I didn't gain unnecessary weight but instead I worry I did something wrong.

I could probably stand to lose 20 lbs of body fat and replace some with lean muscle. Trying to just "be" is a difficult thing for me. I dont' have much advice, but know you're not alone.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Consider the possibility that deep down you do want to obsess over these things because it gives you some sense of security or control.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I'm like you - a weigher, measurer, check-every-day-er. I had to make the conscious choice not to do that (except for my blood glucose measures which I must do in order to keep from getting sick). I weigh once a month, and I measure once a week, and I don't allow myself to obsess. If I catch myself obsessing, I force myself to play, read, or go hug my husband. It's like breaking any habit: first you have to notice that you're doing it, then you have to actively stop yourself from doing it when you notice it, and eventually you just... stop doing it. But it takes time. In the meantime, you have to train yourself to cut it out.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

vdn
    vdn is offline Junior Member

I thought this was going to be about s'mores

jennf- that is a very good plan, I will try something like that to get over my plateau.

CJ4400 is offline Member

David, this couldn't have come at a more timely...time!

I was obsessed with trying to find what worked for me. I was obsessed with losing these last 5-8 pounds. And it was driving me UP THE WALL. Eventually I would go crazy binge eating because I was so strict on myself and where did that get me? Right back to square one.

What I *did* realize was that when I just didn't think about it and ate normally along with a healthy dose of exercise, I began to lose weight! The stress probably wasn't helping either. I still do have the problem of wanting certain non-primal foods and probably break down having it because just like the first two kids, I think about it all the time until I can have it. But I know I need to re-wire my brain on that one.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Listen to Primalchild, PhD. haha

Actually, he has a point. I am the same way. I have been tracking my food intake for so long. I would love to free myself from it. Every morning since starting PB, I have been eating two strips of bacon and 5 eggs, plus some veggies. Today, I couldn't finish an egg and one strip of bacon. I decided to just stop eating. Normally I would keep eating because, "I have to get in my certain amount of calories". No, I don't. If I don't feel hungry enough, then I should just stop.

However, I was STARVING by lunch today. haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast