Thread: Hypoglycemia and Fat adaption, please help. page

Megan is offline Junior Member

Question Hypoglycemia and Fat adaption, please help.

Primal Fuel
    Hello there,

I have a few questions and things that I need help with and I thought I would give the forum a shot. I'm going to try and present as much relevant information as possible up front so you have the tools necessary to help if possible. Thanks in advance!

My name is Megan (hello!), I am female, 21 years old, 5'9 and about 188lbs currently. I have what I guess is 'mild' hypoglycemia that I have been struggling with for about five years. I did most types of diets from the ages of 13-19, all kinds of things, not really yo-yoing but looking for something real that would work for me. Back then I was looking to lose weight and maintain the loss, and I would be religious about a diet until I gained information that made me realize it was unhealthy or unsustainable long term, whereupon I would set it aside. About a year and a half ago I gave up dieting. I realized that I needed to learn to be comfortable with myself, to eat in a healthy and balanced way and generally take care of myself and not worry about the rest. After that I ended up losing about 10lbs(which I only realized when I started Paleo a couple months ago).

Anyway, my eating for the past two-ish years has been the every three hours, protein and carb type and long story short, I hate it. It is pretty crappy to have to eat every three hours or risk passing out. My energy levels were crashing so consistently and as I was laying on my bed feeling like crap in the middle of the day a couple months ago I realized I didn't want to live like that anymore. Long story short,again, I went Paleo. Hard core cold turkey from day one and I haven't looked back. I've felt better, lost some weight and known that this is something I could stick with, I could live, if it is the right thing. Here is the problem: my energy levels. I really expected dropping grains would have a big impact, but it hasn't really (on my energy levels, it has on my waistline). (By the way, I am a professional Artisan baker, so dropping grains HAS helped me get away from my bread addiction.)

So, this is very long and maybe unnecessary information, i'll try to wrap it up. I recently started really reading MDA. A LOT. I've read his fat adaption post like 12 times. I realized that ALL of the carbohydrates I eat are turned into glucose and that I am most definitely a sugar burner. I realized that the honey and fruit (especially dried, my bad) had to go(mostly) and the fat had to take a front seat( I'm going with this experimentally, as it is quite hard to tell what is and isn't a good source on this subject)So now, finally, we get to my questions:

1. Is it possible for someone who has hypoglycemia to become fat adapted?
    2. Since I have scaled back my diet to fat, meat, vegetables and occasional nuts I have had almost no energy. It isn't like a crash, because it is like I never get any energy to begin with(my body doesn't metabolize fat correctly?) I really need some knowledge that this is a phase and not a permanent thing. Is this how it should be, or am I doing something wrong?
    3. Once fat adapted, could I go back to eating fruit say, once a day?

A quick rundown of my diet, if it helps. (I make big batches of like three meals on Monday and eat them all week, so this weeks is

5:20 a.m. B. 3 eggs(with 1/4 cup varied veggies and scrambled in coconut oil or grassfed butter), 2 sm sausages and vegetables(zucchini, muchrooms, onions, whatever I have) sauteed in grass fed butter or coconut oil on the side.

10:20 a.m. L. BEATS- 1/2 avacado, 1 1/2-2 hard boiled eggs, half to a whole tomato and about a slice of crumbled bacon.

1-2p.m. S. (I'm energyless and hungry at this point) I've been eating about a tablespoon of creamed coconut or a small handful of nuts for a snack- should I be snacking at all?

4p.m. D. About 2oz brisket, 1c cauliflower mashed potatoes and some tomatoes/onions/celery that were cooked with the brisket.

Oh also, I do Jiu Jitsu from 6:45-8:15 Monday-Thursday. It's actually the one time of day I feel alright. I also come home, shower and hit bed by 9, though it takes me a while to fall asleep sometimes, so I come in under 8 hours of sleep. Suck. I try very hard to get 8 hours, it definitely makes a difference for me. Anyway, I appreciate anyone who read all of this and might have some help or words of wisdom. Thanks again.

-M

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    1. Yes
    2. You can wait it out.... 3 weeks or so to adapt. Or, you can consider more primal carbs (fruit and tubers). The more frequent and glycolytic your workouts are the more you may lean toward the latter option. With just the one workout 4x/week I actually think you could go either way.
    3. Berries are good either way.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-15-2012 at 01:19 PM.

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Wow~Thats all you eat and your 5'9 and 21?? I am barely 5'4 and 51 and not even halff as active as you and I am sure I eat 2x's as much! Aren't you hungry? I would have 0 energy eating that. Your breakfast seems ok but lunch and dinner look pretty skimpy! 2 oz of meat for dinner ? I don't know what anyone else will tell you but girlfriend I think you need to eat more quality grassfed protein!And raw or grassfed dairy if it is available! Just sayin~

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    You could be suffering from an electrolyte imbalance. Several ketogenic experts recommend drinking 1-2 cups of bouillon per day to add sodium to your diet.

I can tell you that every time I go back to very low carb (<50g) I add in the bouillon drinks and I do not experience the same level of carb flu (extreme tiredness) that others seem to. It is a simple thing to try.

I am also mildly hypoglycemic. I am currently doing very strict Paleo by way of the Whole 30. I eat three meals a day, no snacks and have had no hypo episodes. My hypo problem is often caused by a backlash after eating too much sugar, so Primal eating helps. Yes, you can become fat adapted.

Snack on good Primal food if you need to until you are solid on the plan. It is possible to eat one serving of fruit a day and still stay under 50 g of carb. It kind of depends on what you carb limit is to stay in ketosis.

Good Luck!
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't look like you are getting enough protein. Have you put your food into a calcutor to see? A lack of protein will leave you both hungry and weak. I would try increasing that to help out.

I used to eat every 3 hours and would feel nauseous if I went more than 4 hours. But if I eat enough at meals I can last longer. And last week when I needed to take my son to the doctor and couldn't eat breakfast, I lasted 6pm-11:30am without food and felt okay. So it is possible. I've been following Primal since February, no grains since January.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    Wow~Thats all you eat and your 5'9 and 21?? I am barely 5'4 and 51 and not even halff as active as you and I am sure I eat 2x's as much! Aren't you hungry? I would have 0 energy eating that. Your breakfast seems ok but lunch and dinner look pretty skimpy! 2 oz of meat for dinner ? I don't know what anyone else will tell you but girlfriend I think you need to eat more quality grassfed protein!And raw or grassfed dairy if it is available! Just sayin~
    AND THIS!...I just answered questions, but no wonder your feeling like your energy is low. You need to eat

Megan is offline Junior Member
    NeckHammer: Are you saying if I add in more Primal carbs then I won't become fat adapted? I'm not sure what that second sentence meant. Thank you though, and i'll look into berries!

Longing2bfit: Haha, I just eat until i'm full really. Lunch was small today, I'll probably eat more of it tomorrow. And that darn brisket has to last me all week so I don't eat much of it, but it gets me through Jiu Jitsu just fine and I'm not usually hungry after that.

Pebbles67: Beef broth sounds so good right now 0_0. Could I just heat a beef bullion cube in some water, is that the kind of thing you mean? I know I need to watch my electrolyte balance because of Jiu Jitsu as well, so I will try what you are suggesting.

Thank you all for responding! I am gaining some hope here...I'm going to go look for some beef broth.

More responses are always welcome!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Exactly. Do you have any cubes hanging around? Go for it.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67