Thread: Moderate to high carb and high fat on a workout day? page

Moderate to high carb and high fat on a workout day?

Shop Now
    most days I shoot to stay under 100g carbs and usually i end up under 60 but for workout days i was wondering if it is bad to go for say 150-175g carbs coupled with high fat in the 65-80g range. That is my normal amount of fat intake on most days anyway. All this combined with what i need for protein intake. Wondering if this will hurt me in the long run as im trying to lean out a bit more. Most workout days i go high carb 200-250g, high protein and keep fat less than 20g. But today i totally want some hamburger and whole lot of mashed sweet potatoes swamped with coconut butter i just made.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepeanutbutterkid View Post
    most days I shoot to stay under 100g carbs and usually i end up under 60 but for workout days i was wondering if it is bad to go for say 150-175g carbs coupled with high fat in the 65-80g range. That is my normal amount of fat intake on most days anyway. All this combined with what i need for protein intake. Wondering if this will hurt me in the long run as im trying to lean out a bit more. Most workout days i go high carb 200-250g, high protein and keep fat less than 20g. But today i totally want some hamburger and whole lot of mashed sweet potatoes swamped with coconut butter i just made.
    If you want muscle don't worry about carbs. Eat the fat and protein (whole milk causes better muscle growth than skim).

If you wanna quickly replenish muscle glycogen so you can race off to your next workout later that day....by all means focus on carbs.

If you just wanna replenish the carbs lost from your workout then ONE additional sweet potato is ample for the average work out session.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-15-2012 at 01:07 PM.

abc123 is online now Senior Member
    As long as you're eating whole foods, you're probably going to be just fine & the body will lean out naturally.. Crunching macros & manipulating numbers here & there really is less important than just eating whole foods all the time.. You sound pretty dialed in already & eating off a clean menu..

For me, I never really have "high carb" meals, even post-workout.. I'm a high-fatter, but if I did crave some potatoes & also wanted to eat some fat with it, I'd just crush it, then pass out a happy man.. (imagining ribeye & potatoes, tons of thanksgiving sweet potato with cinnamon & 1.5 lb ribeye, maybe some fruit & yogurt as dessert.. ahhhh ) Its all primal, but certaintly making a habit of stacking 2 energies like "high fat & high carb" together isn't going to lean you out, as you mentioned..
    Last edited by abc123; 08-15-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    65-80 g of fats, high fat ?
    Hum...
    Are you a man or a woman ? How tall are you ?
    It seems low to me, if you eat less than 100g of carbs on normal days.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepeanutbutterkid View Post
    ..i was wondering if it is bad to go for say 150-175g carbs coupled with high fat in the 65-80g range.
    What, in your mind, is so potentially "bad" that it actually caused you to make a post like this? Please also let us know where you were led to believe in this potentially "bad" effect...

That fat intake looks low to me. I range from 120 - 170 g of fat most days, sometimes more if I really grub out.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet Fitz-Hume View Post
    That fat intake looks low to me.
    Low for what?