Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Gu/Powergel?? page

Dan Hollingsworth Guest

Primal Fuel

Anybody have any recipes for a homemade primal version of Gu?

Is there a search function for this forum? I looked around, but couldn't find one.

Thanks.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

That stuff is mostly sugars. I guess a spoonful of honey would be a pretty close substitute. Or a banana - they're more portable.

JohnOTD is offline Member

1) What, praytell is Gu/Powergel?

2) Search function is the same as searching the site. The search bar will search whatever part of the site you are currently in (home or the forum).

www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

@ JohnOTD:

http://www.guenergy.com/products/gu-energy-gel/ingredients-benefits

It's basically a caffeinated maltodextrose ooze with electrolytes in a packet.

JohnOTD is offline Member

Ack! No thank you!

May I suggest pemmican instead?

www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

bruce.b is offline Member

I just eat organic raisins. You could try blending them with some water to make a paste if you want something more like Gu. Much less expensive, a whole lot healthier and better tasting than Gu.

I tried Gu a few times and thought it was horrible stuff. It's like eating toothpaste.

bruce b.

batty is offline Senior Member

true story, and it just happened:

my coworker's a swimmer, i'm a cyclist, so we end up talking a lot about nutrition. he claims he's 8% BF but he has a double chin. that is neither here nor there.

anyway, he came into my office excitedly telling me about how PowerBar now has these little bite size pieces of their power gel and how awesome they are.

i said, "you know what also works? real food."

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Geoff is offline Member

I'm a little confused about why you need a Gu substitute. Are doing long workouts and unable to stomach solid food? Are you looking for a way to quickly reload carbs after intense work?

Unsweetened apple sauce might work in a pinch as a high sugar, squeezable, source of fuel, but you're better off, I think, skipping the concentrated sugary stuff altogether.

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member

A mixture of almond butter and honey might give you a boost, and it certainly would be "Gu-like" in texture.

Dan Hollingsworth Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

We have a group of people who are training for the Eugene Marathon. One of our members is now "hard core" paleo/primal and she would prefer to make her own fuel for the race instead of using commercially available stuff. Me, I'm totally okay with using the commercially available stuff. 80/20 right? I use these things a few times a year, I tolerate them well and I actually find them quite tasty.

Thanks for the Search info. Didn't realize it just searched the page you were on. Good to know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast