Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll for the girls page

byebyecw Guest

Hi All,

I'm new to PB, found MDA a few weeks ago.

Brief history: Female, 45 yo, need to lose 20 lbs. Have needed to lose the same 20 lbs for years and it hasn't budged at all. My mom was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes so I figured I better get my act together. I haven't had any health problems except the extra weight I haven't been able to lose and the fatigue that went with a high carb diet. I'm pretty sure I'm insulin and leptin resistant.

I cut out sugar and white flour at the beginning of the year then went totally whole food and cut out artificial sweeteners, too. I was pretty close to primal when I found MDA, and have since cut out all grains and most dairy. I buy as much organic as I can. I have been completely PB (except the Friday night cheat meal) for 2 weeks.

So, here's what I would like to poll you about; how long did it take you (the girls) to start dropping the fat? Did you make adjustments along the way that made PB work for you? Did you realize you were eating too much, or not enough, or too frequently or not working out hard enough? Did you just have to be patient until your body started working again? I feel great and I know my body is healing and changing, so I'm not going back to SAD even if I never lose anything, but I'd like to hear some stories about your beginnings.

Don't mean leave out the men (I've learned so much from all of you), but your fat loss info isn't too relative to me (apples to oranges, you know). My husband can lose 4 pounds in a week just by saying, "I'm going to lose weight." He is now forbidden to tell me how much weight he loses, ever. I've picked out a primal club, just in case. I know not all men can do that, but it seems most men respond more quickly to PB than the women do.

I have lost 2 lbs, but I know damn well it's just hiding under my bed waiting to jump back on. I have been up and down the same 2 lbs for the past 3 months.

I would appreciate your knowledge. Thanks

FairyRae2 Guest

I first started losing weight when I went totally whole foods and cut out gluten, dairy, soy and corn (b/c of my son's sensitivities to them--I was/am nursing.) I dropped weight immediately, around 50 lbs in maybe 4-5 months? (I think cutting preservatives and additives was a major part of this--you just can't find many processed foods that are free of gluten/dairy/soy and esp. corn!) Switching to traditional foods (al la WAPF) minus the gluten and dairy, I lost more weight, then switching to primal/paleo-style eating I lost a bit more, and am currently thinner than I've ever been in my life. (I gained weight after having my now 3 year old son, so had quite a bit of it to lose!!) Paleo/primal style eating just feels best to me, and the exersize peice has been hugely helpful for me as well. I feel amazing now...

I think I personally have a problem w/ dairy, and that eating it would/could cause me to hang onto weight. I've read about this in multiple allergy forums--folks suddenly losing weight they'd been carrying for years when they cut out a food or group of foods they are sensitive to...

I really might try dropping dairy totally just to see if that has any impact if you feel like you aren't seeing enough progress.

Good luck!!!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Well, I passed on girl status about 40 years ago, but as a woman I can tell you that I completely agree that how men lose weight is completely different from what I must do to lose weight. Totally unfair!

One thing I think is really important about PB is that you'll find you're losing fat (rather than simply weight) and this can be deceiving if you're only looking at your weight on the scales. Try and focus on how your clothes fit and what you see in the mirror.

When I began PB, I lost my first 15 pounds very quickly, and then began to plateau. After a while, I went back to entering my intake into FitDay again, and realized I'd gradually begun eating larger portions.

I'm now entering everything into FitDay every single day, and have upped my fat percentage to at least 80% of my intake, and the fat is finally coming off again.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

I lost 9 pounds in my first week (yay water weight!). Since then I lose at a fairly steady 0.5 - 1lb a week.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

I only had about 10 to lose. The first week, 2-3 of those came off and it's been a fairly steady 1-1.5 lb a week. I have dropped nearly 2 sizes in 4 weeks, though, so I'll second Sharonll on the fat loss vs. body weight.

"No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Suzan is offline Senior Member

I lost 10 pounds in the first month. I am now stalled. I generally don't mind the weight coming off slowly, but some days I get frustrated. I've had to cut out fruit completely.

tooround is offline Senior Member

Even tho' I'm pretty close to CW goal weight. 129 at 5'3" ... I've lost 5.4 lbs since the first week in March. And I'm shrinking. It's definitely fat that's coming off my torso.

I eat some dairy, coffee and diet coke still. And I don't have my exercise sorted out yet.

maba is offline Senior Member

Before I discovered MDA, I was on South Beach last summer and lost about 5 lbs (from 123 to 118) in the first phase but as soon as I re-introduced grains in the second phase, I put on some pounds and that's when I googled for low-carb diet and discovered MDA. In the initial week or two of PB (I wasn't entirely grain-free though), I lost 3 more pounds (115) and then went to my home country for vacation for a month and put on about 6 lbs (121). After I returned, on PB, I stalled at 117 for a long time and then the weight slowly creeped up to 121. Then I went on a strict South Beach-like PB and went back to 117 this January when I found out I was pregnant. I haven't been strictly primal since then (due to cravings and food aversions) and have been eating rice and lentils and I now weight 121 lbs and I'm in my 2nd trimester.

I agree with FairyRae, eliminating processed foods and sugar really makes a huge difference. What I eat now is closer to Traditional Foods than PB but I've have been happy with the weight gain (which for someone like me who has had a propensity in the past to put on weight easily, is small). I'm 33yo, 5'0" btw.

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member

Female, 31, 5'7", 185lbs pre-PB. I switched to PB and lost 30 lbs in about 5 months with almost zero exercise. I am a firm believer that diet is about 80% responsible for the weight loss and exercise 20%. If I am strict with myself and eat only meat, fish, non-starchy veggies, and plenty of coconut oil, the weight practically falls off me. If I add in nuts, fruit, & dairy...my weight loss plateaus.

I'm currently plateaued due to heavy cardio training (which is not PB) and the resulting hunger for starchier things and too many nuts/fruit/dairy. Going to eliminate the nuts/fruit/dairy and up the coconut oil for a while to see if I can lose these last 10 lbs. If you stick with it, I'm sure you will do great.

Athena is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I lost 6 lbs in the first 2 weeks which is huge for me. I havent been able to lose any weight for years! Now the weightloss has stalled a bit, im guessing due to stress but I still see changes in my body but not as extreme as the first few weeks. Then again, I still have occasional dairy, nuts and fruit which aren't great for fast weight loss. But I feel like as long as I continue to see changes, thats fine with me, ill enjoy my cheese and berries here or there. Working out would likely speed up my loss a lot more as well, and Im trying to work out 2x a week but time is extremely tight these next few weeks.

I dont track how much I eat anymore, I just eat when im hungry and stop when I feel full. I eat a big breakfast and big dinner and skip lunch. Its so conventient this way.

Just do your best to stick to real foods, move a lot and get your sleep. Trust your body, listen to it's signals and be patient. Let it do what it wants to do and it will even itself out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast