Thread: Newbie with omega6 question page

Neon0107 is offline Junior Member

Newbie with omega6 question

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone,

I am new here, and moved to the primal blue print method about three weeks ago. Losing weight and feeling good!!! Almost done with marks book too. Have to admit I'm not much of a veggie eater, but since making this switch I am enjoying them more by trying new things. Also love going to the farmers market every Saturday to stock up for the week.

Ok, onto my question. Just the past few days I started using paleotrack.com to log my food to see if I am getting enough protein. The past two days it says I'm over on my omega6 for the day. This just started after trying a few recipes from some paleo cook books and I think it has to do with the chicken. For example here is today's food so far and I'm already over on omega6.

3 fried eggs in coconut oil.
    3 small sausage patties

3 chicken drum sticks baked with skin
    2 carrott sticks

Dinner tonight will be skinless boneless chicken breast with cauliflower mashed potatoes and asparagus.

The other day I was over is when I had baked chicken breast with skin.

Is the skin on the chicken what's putting me over on my omega6? What concerns should I have about going over?

Thanks for taking the time

Ian

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    The consensus around here seems to be that it's the omega 6 from crappy seed oils that's the problem. Animal fat is a whole different story. Don't fear the chicken! Or avocados!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    I've never used paleotrack before so I really can't comment on that particular web site. That being said it really does depend on what type of meats you are eating but also what type of foods said meat is eating itself. If you're buying Tyson ( I just picked a name) chicken that's been fed soy pellets and grain vs locally farmed free run organically fed omnivorus chickens the Omega 6 level is going to be much higher. The skin really isn't going to make the difference except it's adding more over all fat in to your diet.

The key really is to raise your Omega 3 intake to offset the Omega 6 ratio and balance them out as much as possible. I suggest taking a good quality fish oil to top up your Omega 3 levels and try to steer away from grocercy store typical meats if it's in your budget.