Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Itchy skin - histamine. Allergic reaction? page

Jay
    Jay is offline Junior Member

Itchy skin - histamine. Allergic reaction?

So for the last month or so my skin has been very itchy, all over my body.

Doctor says it's a reaction to something, but impossible to find out to what. He did a blood test, only a slight allergy to dust mites...

Same thing happened to my colleague (much worse) at around the same time. He has a lot of allergies and health issues. Don't know if it's related...

Any ideas? Something i can do to stop/prevent it? I'm now taking an anti-histamine once every two days, that takes the itching away.

My doc says it will go away over time... The thing that annoys me most is not knowing what caused or what is causing this...

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Trial and error.

Any change in bathing/cleaning products? Soaps? Detergents? Fabric softeners? Foods you haven't eaten before? Any other unusual symptoms, like stuffy nose, post nasal drip, abdominal cramps?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Trial and error.

Any change in bathing/cleaning products? Soaps? Detergents? Fabric softeners? Foods you haven't eaten before? Any other unusual symptoms, like stuffy nose, post nasal drip, abdominal cramps?
    No other symptoms. Maybe some (extra) tinnitus, but i can't really tell if it's related because i have tinnitus now and then anyway.

Change in fabric softener, but from the same brand. So don't really think that was the cause. Changed to a non-hypoallergenic (sp?) type already just in case...

Jay
    Went to the dermatologist. She said it was a chronic form of hives. Should go away in 6-12 months. Have to take an anti-histamicum every 2-3 days to keep symptoms under control.

Usually they can't find the cause so she told me not to bother too much with it.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Glad you got it sorted out. Sometimes too much salt would make your skin itch all over for some time.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Well to me this jumps out in big red flashing letters:

Same thing happened to my colleague (much worse) at around the same time
    I'd look at work, not your household stuff.

Different toner cartridge, or a leaky one?

Was the place fumigated over a weekend, fireproofing added, anything like that?

I'm allergic to some antibiotic (I really should make a note of which!) which has the same effect on me, itchy in all sorts of places for no apparent reason. Once drove straight past my works and about 5 miles into the countryside because I was too busy scratching and driving to think about where I was going...

But yeah, if your co-worker got the same thing, what substances, including airborne, do you and that person come into contact with?

AC

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    change in weather can cause this too, at least for me
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Well to me this jumps out in big red flashing letters:

I'd look at work, not your household stuff.
    Different toner cartridge, or a leaky one?
    Was the place fumigated over a weekend, fireproofing added, anything like that?

But yeah, if your co-worker got the same thing, what substances, including airborne, do you and that person come into contact with?
    AC
    I was thinking the same thing, AC. There are a ton of possible things like new carpets, new upholstery on the office chairs, cleaning products, repainting, etc. that could be the culprit. Plus, do you work in an office building? What about air conditioning/heating systems? Maybe the forced air heat just kicked in for the winter and the filters are moldy.

Jay
    Hey, thanks for those suggestions. Those kinds of things were also spinning through my head.
    However I think the dermatologist is right about this one. Even when i'm at home for a couple of days it bothers me.
    Just something i have to ride out i guess.

She said that in most cases, it's impossible to find a reason. Could be an innocent viral infection that triggered it.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Went to the dermatologist. She said it was a chronic form of hives. Should go away in 6-12 months. Have to take an anti-histamicum every 2-3 days to keep symptoms under control.

Usually they can't find the cause so she told me not to bother too much with it.
    Leaky gut? Also a possibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast