Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stationary bike sprints page

ryan1972 Guest

Shop Now

I have a stationary bike, and while it's not my favorite activity, I do want to make use of it for a primal-style workout. Can anyone offer me some suggestions for how to "sprint" on the bike in a 20 minute workout? What kind of time intervals between moderate effort and all out effort should I use? Thanks.

bruce.b is offline Member

Sprint workout, do Tabata.

For 20 minutes I'd try a hard 20 second sprint at the top of every minute with the rest of the time a moderately easy effort.

I've done both of these workouts and if the sprint is hard they will hurt. I rarely ever do them because I find it so much more fun to do bike workouts outside on a real bike.

bruce b.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

I do tabatas on the bike, too... but it's not 20 minutes, it takes about 5. :-)

I do about a 1 minute warm up for my muscles then I do 20 seconds full blast and 10 seconds rest, 8 times.

When I'm really doing it right, I'm toast after I'm done...

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

beeface is offline Junior Member

i own a spin bike, and twice per week in between runs, i use it HARD, (to Xfiles, or whatever) but I warm up, 3-5 min, and then do 10 min 7-8 rpe, one minute of 4-5 rpe, and then 5 minutes of 8-9 1/2 rpe, one minute of low rpe again, then repeat 2-3 times. by the end, i am a sweaty mess, and feel GREAT.

no traffic, and you can time yourself perfectly. good training. does not beat out outdoors riding (duh!!) but for training purposes, just ADD it to your week's worth of exercises. no impact.

also: you can add hills. stand up, put it on HARD resistance, and ride for 10min, sit and spin for 1 min, repeat several times. you will feel that burn too.

loud music helps w/ the pain

Enjoy a healthy day!

schadowrider is offline Senior Member

What minxxa said. I do a 4 minute tabata sprint set on the elliptical (after a brief warm-up if I haven't already been working out), but I can't even get through 8 rounds/sets at 20 on/10 rest so far -- 'tis a killer! Currently at about 12/18, slowing working up to 20/10...

I workout on the stationary bike a few times each week for 30 minutes sessions. I use the manual program and after a few minute warmup, kick it to the highest resistance for 1 minute and then drop it down to medium for 2 minutes, then repeat. During the 1 minute periods of high resistance, push it as hard as you can, and then spend a few minutes on medium again...Repeat!! Its not quite as bad as the tabata sprints, but you will be exhausted by the end of the session.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I just like the tabatas.... I can do 5 minutes. It sucks, but I can do it. 20 minutes, no way Jose! LOL... but that's me. I figure at least I'm doing it at all, so it's a start. Maybe someday i'll work up to more... or not!

misterbulgarin is offline Junior Member
    I struggle with Stationary bike sprints, sometimes my joints just dont want to keep up with my mental energy / dedication. But get me outside sprinting and then it's no problem. Weird

simplyryde is offline Member
    I would agree with the Tabata sprints. Warm up for at least 10 mins, 4 mins of 20sec on/ 10sec off all out. Then a five min cool down. I would not suggest this workout more than twice a week.

Big Dave is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    1 min sprint, 1 minute easy ride, repeat for 20 minutes and then cool down.
    Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast