Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Raw foodism is silly. Here's why... page 8

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am not trying to put down Natro, but I want to see if she is getting the results on a non-restricted diet that this gal is getting on a super-restricted diet. Raw veggie gal here speaks for her food choices. You can only counter her argument properly if you show that a different food approach leads to a similar result in quality.

In my experience, it is necessary for me to restrict in order to look and feel optimal. I cannot simply follow my wants and desires, even if the processed foods & grains are excluded.

I saw Paula doing great on Primal/Paleo, and she was restricting.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I know a lot of young women that have the same body as she does- even one that smoke, drink, use drugs and eat crap. She has age on her side, big time. She also probably has the genetics to be thin. If she looks like that at 40 or even 50.... let us know.

That said, her diet makes her happy and is apparently keeping her healthy and is better than what most people eat.
    Yep, I went to high school with more than a handful of girls that fit this "good" genetics theory. One girl in particular couldn't put weight on and she tried SO HARD, she would out-eat the boys and purposely pound bullshit in order to gain weight to no avail. She just got married and looked "perfect" in her wedding dress and though we haven't kept in touch all that much I'm pretty sure she had to do nothing.

Some people are just luckier than others. Simple as that. They could eat whatever - obviously doesn't mean they're internally healthy but at least this girl had an iron stomach and good skin, etc. As far as I knew she never felt shitty, so there's that.

livinwout is offline Junior Member
    This scares me as well. From a farming point of view and the fact that it is unhealthy.... frighting. I agree it's better to have good body composition over being rail thin. She doesnt look like she could fight her way out of a wet paper bag! Young and dittzy. Hopefully some day she'll learn.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livinwout View Post
    This scares me as well. From a farming point of view and the fact that it is unhealthy.... frighting. I agree it's better to have good body composition over being rail thin. She doesnt look like she could fight her way out of a wet paper bag! Young and dittzy. Hopefully some day she'll learn.
    what's scary is that people (vegans are people, still, or so people that are nicer than me say) think eating this way is what is best for the planet. Surely we can feed the entire population this way, no problem at all.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    sbhikes, I think you look better, stronger, and healthier.

She's just young and full of makeup.
    QTF. at least from an outside perspective; but it's your body, don't let us stop you from trying to seek whatever goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post

Sheesh, I am so hungry now, I can't concentrate & I already ate all the allocated 3 eggs and 1/2 cup egg whites and 20 g Brazil nuts and half a cucumber. This video makes me want to cry for its glorious colors and veggies and fruit.

If I could be her & never hungry and that slender, I'd sell my soul....
    sorry you're having such a hard time. how do you know she's never hungry? i mean, i imagine after 7 years she doesn't struggle, but how do you know that she was never hungry for the first year or two? that sort of dietary restriction takes a great deal of perseverance and dedication. for that matter, how do you know she wasn't (or isn't) anorexic?
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I think she looks amazing. But - she's only 23! And unlike many people that age, doesn't drink or smoke. She also runs 8-10 miles a day. Give it two years and she'll prob look quite different.
    wow she's only 23? not to be catty, but i'm 27 and i'm pretty sure i look younger (or maybe i'm delusional). everyone's different.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Saoirse, I can only go on what the lady says, and she is never hungry. As for anorexia, I will never try to diagnose someone with an ED. Still, caloric value of her foods appears to stand to the 1,000 cals a day test, her face looks fresh and does not have the tell-tale sinks below the eyes, and she does not have the knobby knees, bone-thin wrists. Again, you can never tell who does or does not have a troubled relationship with food.

I can only speak for myself, and her food stash looks like a dream come true to me. However, I will not deny that I do love eggs and fish and meats too & will not feel satisfied if I cut it out forevar. However, if I knew that I would not blow my precarious sugar balance, I would do vegan for like a month once the early fall harvest comes in, with the apples and grapes, and fresh cabbages, zucchinis, eggplants, peppers, tomatoes.... No wonder people go vegan/vegetarian in California! There is just something about the sea shore, mountains, warmth and copious produce that must make you want to just dig in....

But sugar balance is everything for me. Now that my sugar has finally rebalanced, my appetite is normal, and I am happy on a 2 eggs+1/2 cup of ew, a cucumber and 2 brazil nuts breakky.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-22-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Saoirse, I can only go on what the lady says, and she is never hungry. As for anorexia, I will never try to diagnose someone with an ED. Still, caloric value of her foods appears to stand to the 1,000 cals a day test, her face looks fresh and does not have the tell-tale sinks below the eyes, and she does not have the knobby knees, bone-thin wrists. Again, you can never tell who does or does not have a troubled relationship with food.
    that's end-stage anorexia, when there's nothing left for the body to consume. she's rail thin, low muscle mass. but she still has all her hair, so i guess she's healthy right? i'm not diagnosing her as having anything, i'm pointing out that you can't compare your situation to hers because you don't have all the facts. it's not fair to yourself.
    But sugar balance is everything for me. Now that my sugar has finally rebalanced, my appetite is normal, and I am happy on a 2 eggs+1/2 cup of ew, a cucumber and 2 brazil nuts breakky.
    i'm glad you are, because personally that wouldn't nearly satiate me. but again, everyone's different.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    "Look, all I eat are these veggies and I'm never hungry". I would almost guarantee this women binges like a mofo!!!! Vegans lie about what they eat!!!
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. I paused the video as it panned and counted items. Where things were piled I assumed that I could see half of the produce and doubled the number, unless she specifically stated a number. If divided evenly across a week, this is what she is eating per day (I rounded, sometimes up, sometimes down):

1/2 watermelon(4)
    1 pint dates(8)
    7 figs(48)
    2 zucchini(16)
    6 apricots(42)
    9 okra(60)
    6 oranges(40)
    22 roma tomatoes(164)
    1 cucumber (8)
    1 lemon (10)
    5 nectarines(36)
    1/4 avocado (2)
    1/4 coconut (2)
    1/2C pecans(4C)
    1 bunch kale (8)
    3 1/2 pints berries (24)
    1 bunch herbs(7)
    2 1/2 apples (18)
    2 bunches kale (12)
    1/4 bunch spinach (2)
    1/4 bunch romaine (2)
    1C grapes (6C)
    1 pint cherry tomatoes (7)

If anyone is quick at punching in the numbers, I would be very interested to see what her macros are. (Too fiddly for me to do.)

If she's happy with it, and feeling good, that's great. But as she has posted it publicly, and I'm not running into her kitchen to snoop, I feel free to comment.

She looks a little too thin to me, especially considering that the camera adds weight. (I couldn't help wondering if all those bracelets were hiding some seriously scrawny wrists.)

The two things that struck me the most are:
    How long does it take to eat all that? Does she have time for anything besides eating? Mercy!
    What does her blood sugar look like? She has youth on her side now, but what is happening to her insides?

Also, I had to laugh when she called the number of bananas she is eating 'very few' (because she is enjoying more of the watery fruits in summer time). Six bananas a day!

And, the veg:fruit ratio is 8:12 (leaving out the avocado, coconut, and nuts, which I am assuming she is eating for the fats). And that is just in number of items. By poundage she is consuming at least 6 times the amount of fruit as veg. No wonder she feels great- she's on a sugar high all day long.

The spread looks wonderful (who can't appreciate the beauty of nature's bounty) but there's nothing here to make me think being a raw foodist is for me.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    If you check out her most recent video she looks a little...sallow? Wan? I don't know. Older than she is. I don't know. Is there a term for that? And she's got on piles of makeup and her hair looks thin, but who knows if that's just how the video's shot? But I notice that a lot of Paleo people end up looking younger in their "after" pics and a lot of long-term vegans look thin and happy, but soooo old.

But, also in her latest video you can see she runs a lot of stuff through a juicer (all the rage these days, aren't they?) so she's skipping out on a lot of the actual food. That makes more sense, now. If she actually ate those fruits and vegetables I'm sure she wouldn't need nearly as much. I repeat: what a waste!
    Last edited by carlh; 08-22-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast