Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Raw foodism is silly. Here's why... page 7

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Weight maintenance is at least partially about finding satiation in foods quantities that keep you at X pounds, right?

She's not eating processed foods, and she's a runner. She didn't say in this video, but to eat that quantity of food, she probably graze eats.

There are so many variables in the human condition. Body type, gender, age, activity levels, genetic predispositions, etc. There just can't be a one size fits all eating regimen. Mark calls it a blueprint because it's a guide. I respect that a lot.

If she's 23, she's been doing this since she was 16. It doesn't look like her hair is falling out; I didn't see any zits. She's found what works for her. Maybe her grok ancestors lived in southern CA where fresh fruits and veggies are available all year. Or another region like that.

She eats a lot of greens. If I thought I had to choke down that much kale in a week, I'd go buy a pizza, haul out my fat clothes and say, "fuggit." But it works for her.

Whether Primal (at one end of the spectrum) or Vegan (at the other end), both groups agree on two things: we shouldn't eat processed foods and we should move around more. She's not eating processed foods and she exercises. It doesn't seem that horrifyingly unhealthy to me.

It does however make me want a bowl of raspberries.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    For those that say they couldn't eat like that because of 'the runs', I have never been more constipated than when on a raw vegan diet.

My doctor told me to eat more fibre and drink more water. But I honestly couldn't have eaten or drank any more! I couldn't understand it.

Since going primal and getting some decent fat into my diet, things are working a lot better. I guess everyone's experience really is different. I was eating avocados and coconut n raw vegan diet, but probably just not enough, or maybe all that fibre and fermenting fruit was irritating my gut.

Funnily enough when I took my cat to the vet recently, the vet said he was constipated. I said what should I do? He said, 'just add a couple of teaspoons of oil into his food for a week or so and that should help'. My vet knows it. My doctor doesn't!

I think the woman in the video looks great fwiiw. That's the kind of thing that kept me trying and trying to be a raw vegan myself. I feel better on primal though. I don't feel so sugar rushy for starters, and I don't have to spend my day juicing, dehydrating, blending and chewing!
    Last edited by Silky; 08-15-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post

Isn't that a sign that you may not be fat adapted yet and you may still have a high fasting Insulin level which results in low blood sugar (hunger) before Insulin falls low enough to release the gates of lipolysis?
    Low fat Yoghurt, isn't that by definition high sugar high GI Yoghurt?
    I was on a high fat diet for a while until I realized it wasn't working for me. I've experimented with different macro's but I find The zone style macro's work best for me. 40-30-30 carbs protein fat is what I do generally do best on. By definition I suppose that's a low-fat diet but I still feel like I'm eating a significant amount of fat at approximately 60g. 30g of fat per meal in 2 meals per day is still quite a lot, imo. Fat free yogurt is just the same as the original, minus the fat. I either make it myself or buy this stuff. I have been making a lot lately because it's pretty expensive to buy.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Hah.

She must spend half her time just chewing like a chimp.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    heya, thank you everyone for the words of encouragement!

Lol, I know I can't do raw vegan, despite it being so tempting, because I am getting pre-diabetic very quickly if I eat sugar. So, for me it is the case of being addicted to what is not good for me.

In terms of fat vs carb ratio, if i do not make myself eat fat, eat an oz or so of nuts, and cook with a touch if fat (just like I like it), my fats go to ~ 40-50% range, with about as much of protein and under 15% carbs - if I do not eat fruit and tubers. Which is not a bad ratio. Once I stabilize my blood sugar, I will be able to eat a bit of beloved beets and carrots, and have a fruit-plate on the weekend (my nature is that I'd rather have unlimited fruit once a week than 1/2 cup every day).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

natro is offline Junior Member
    I'm thinking that this 20g of nuts and 1/2cup of that regime sounds no fun and no wonder you're hungry!? I follow my body's lead. Sometimes I crave fruit, so I eat it. Some days I might be eating a lot of nuts, potatoes and fruit and then other times I can go all day on a cup of milk or a bit of meat and not feel the need for any fruit. I just figure my body knows what it's needing at any particular point and that will change according to workload etc? I find restricting anything (except processed food obvs) is the work of the devil and soon 'm back to putting on weight, bingeing, obsessing over food and generally not having a good time.

I also find that the quality of what you're eating is paramount - the milk i have MUST be 5% fat minimum (so from jerseys/guernseys) and MUST be unhomogenised, if not raw. ANY other kind of milk is a waste of time. Likewise I eat our own grassfed meat with few exceptions and think this has a big part to play in how satiated i feel, because it's not just providing protein, fat and volume, it's providing all those little nutrients that tend to get forgotten...

Common misconception that I get this meat 'cheap' - I have to pay full price for it myself or it'd be tax evasion = illegal. From us, it's not that pricey per kg but I do eat more than 'normal' people might which does cost more, however I find overall that I save sooooooo much on all the crap other people buy - bread, biscuits, rice etc. that I can afford all the fresh produce easily.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I'm late to the party but is that video for real? That seems obscene. She must spend all her time eating. Nothing but water, fructose and fiber. And people starting Paleo complain about the time it takes to cook bacon? What the heck.

And then there's people complaining that raising animals for food takes up a lot of natural resources...well...if you've got to eat a truckload of fruit every day aren't you doing the same thing? She looks healthy so I'm not criticizing her results. But, man...just seems like a waste of time and effort. Probably get some good exercise lugging all that stuff inside, though.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Something tells me she doesn't lug anything around, probably privileged enough to have her shit delivered. I didn't watch the video after she panned out to show her weekly stash, too ridiculous. That would easily last me 2 months, all the fruit would rot before I could touch even half of it. Insanity. She's pretty in the face, and I'd totally fuck her, but that's so not a compliment anymore.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 08-22-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I also find that the quality of what you're eating is paramount - the milk i have MUST be 5% fat minimum (so from jerseys/guernseys) and MUST be unhomogenised, if not raw. ANY other kind of milk is a waste of time. Likewise I eat our own grassfed meat with few exceptions and think this has a big part to play in how satiated i feel, because it's not just providing protein, fat and volume, it's providing all those little nutrients that tend to get forgotten...
    Most of the world does not have access to 5%, raw, unhomogenized, fresh milk. It is illegal.

Out of curiosity, on your diet, do you look perfect like this raw veggie gal?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Out of curiosity, on your diet, do you look perfect like this raw veggie gal?
    I know a lot of young women that have the same body as she does- even one that smoke, drink, use drugs and eat crap. She has age on her side, big time. She also probably has the genetics to be thin. If she looks like that at 40 or even 50.... let us know.

That said, her diet makes her happy and is apparently keeping her healthy and is better than what most people eat.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast