Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Raw foodism is silly. Here's why... page 6

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    Doesn't it seem like higher fat works better for most guys or younger women who are really athletic? I have been doing research on the fact that the hormone ghrenlin (causes hunger) is activated by fat and the PYY hormone stops hunger (activated by protein) So besides the reading research I have been playing with some food experiments also. Trying to get a grasp on it.

Basically eating higher fats makes some (mostly women) people HUNGRY as in starving.. If we get to hungry we will eat until we can't fit anything else in without popping!!! Whereas even the protein at this point cannot help! But if the fat is stored fat that is the activator then it can be stopped with quality protein in smaller amounts! Not sure if that makes sense and like I said I am still playing with the research.
    That's really interesting...

Leida, I understand how you feel. I didn't go on Primal to lose weight, but I did inadvertently put some on! The high fat thing isn't for everyone. I'm finding a more balanced approach by reintroducing foods I was limiting whilst keeping it all clean and real.

Personally I think it's ridiculous to limit vegetables. Carbs from water based veggies can't make people fat. I think once you've become fat adapted then it's fine to up the veggie intake. If you're hungry then fill up on veg - have sliced cucumber with salt (I eat two at a time sometimes), or loads of fermented cabbage with salmon and a few tomatoes. If you're dying for fruit have a grapefruit - they're delicious and so much more satiating than other fruit. (I do know tomato is a fruit btw )

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    Humans are pretty resilient and adaptable to many different ways of eating. I think as far as weight loss and health, many different diets will give you the same results. The reason all these different diets work for weight loss and health improvement is because they all have one thing in common: we stop eating processed crap foods and start eating whole foods. Be it meat or vegetables or the combination thereof, most people who go on any diet start eating clean and by default reduce the calorie intake. Improved health and weight loss follows.

For those people that think she looks amazing: I know plenty of girls around her age who look just as good if not better and they eat SAD using small portions.

Exert from Kriss Kesser website: "The Okinawan diet is even more carb-heavy, at 85% carb, 9% protein and 6% fat. The Tukisenta diet is astonishingly high in carbohydrate: 94.6% according to extensive studies in the 60s and 70s. All of these cultures are fit and lean with low and practically non-existent rates of heart disease and other modern chronic disease."

So is paleo diet end-all, be-all, i don't think so,,, but it's a great way to get people to eat whole foods, decrease calories, lose weight and get health.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    "This seven year journey has absolutely changed my life..."

Yah, I'll bet it has. I can't imagine eating that and not shitting my pants at least 5 times a day.

"...and never hungry"

That's because in between running to the toilet you're standing in front of that counter spending (wasting) all your time chewing.

Haha, The Runsssssssss

The body will adapt to just about anything.. I would rather be a "Raw Foodist" before eating tons of grains & wings & nachos & fake food.. @ least she's eating whole foods, more than I can say for 95% of the people I see walking around..

& yeah, her body looks good.. Maybe a little tooooo "skinny soft" but I'd work with it
    Last edited by abc123; 08-15-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    Doesn't it seem like higher fat works better for most guys or younger women who are really athletic? I have been doing research on the fact that the hormone ghrenlin (causes hunger) is activated by fat and the PYY hormone stops hunger (activated by protein) So besides the reading research I have been playing with some food experiments also. Trying to get a grasp on it.

Basically eating higher fats makes some (mostly women) people HUNGRY as in starving.. If we get to hungry we will eat until we can't fit anything else in without popping!!! Whereas even the protein at this point cannot help! But if the fat is stored fat that is the activator then it can be stopped with quality protein in smaller amounts! Not sure if that makes sense and like I said I am still playing with the research.
    I'm that way. Fat just doesn't satisify that well, probably because of the volume. The other night I had some really fatty chicken and vegetables then a bowl of full fat greek yogurt and I couldn't sleep 2 hours later because I was still hungry. I think I need more volume. Even though it's lower calorie I do better on a bigger bowl of fat-free yogurt and fruit with just a scoop of regular greek yogurt on top. If I was just to eat bacon I would probably have to eat a whole packet in one meal.

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    I was a vegan for a few months, years ago. Looking at a lamb kabob now, I don't know how I survived.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Hey longing2bfit, I'm another Santa Barbaran. If you can find DeyDey's chicken it's really super good. I get it at IV Food Coop. I get half chickens. They have a stand at the Sunday farmer's market at Camino Real Marketplace, too. They mostly sell grass-fed beef, but their chicken is better than their beef.

Leida, maybe you should try raw vegan for a while. You've tried everything else.

As for me, I find fat very satisfying. I also find protein satisfying. It's better if I do both. It seems that the ratio that comes naturally in meats works well to calm my appetite and make me feel good, but it can't be too lean a cut of meat, like one that they've cut all the fat off around the edges.

I'm finding that organ meats and the "odd bits" actually do wonders. I put oxtails in the crock pot and the gelatin and fat and meat all work to make me feel good. I put pork belly that has skin on in the crock pot (and then later broil the skin to crisp it up). The collagen, gelatin and fat all work with the meat to make me feel so happy and satisfied. My latest organ meat to try is tongue. Today's the first time I've ever had tongue. I'm not sure if it has special properties like other parts I've tried, but cold it's the best thing ever.

I don't even care that my organs and odd bits are not always grass-fed or pastured. This stuff really makes me feel healthy.

I find if I use tallow or bacon grease food becomes a meal. Coconut oil, olive oil, making things "lite" or trying to eat higher volume, low calorie foods so I can have more just doesn't have the same effect. I eat coconut and olive oil and have salads and vegetables, but meat has to be a major part of my diet or else my appetite goes nuts again. If I get to a point where my appetite is out of control, it takes more than a couple of days before it will calm down again once I get back on track with the meat and fat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    I did a stint as a raw vegan.. yeah, shopping was pretty rough, and getting all the produce in - it's no wonder we did a LOT of green smoothies.

It was good for just about 4 months... then, I started feeling like crap. Never really felt better until I left vegan entirely for Primal.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Why can't a Raw Diet include tasty raw meat....steark tartare....YUM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lardomuncher View Post
    Exert from Kriss Kesser website: "The Okinawan diet is even more carb-heavy, at 85% carb, 9% protein and 6% fat. The Tukisenta diet is astonishingly high in carbohydrate: 94.6% according to extensive studies in the 60s and 70s. All of these cultures are fit and lean with low and practically non-existent rates of heart disease and other modern chronic disease."
    Try this site for an alternative view on how much fat the Okinawans really enjoyed:
    Heretic: Beware of Okinawa Diet scam!

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    I'm that way. Fat just doesn't satisify that well, probably because of the volume. The other night I had some really fatty chicken and vegetables then a bowl of full fat greek yogurt and I couldn't sleep 2 hours later because I was still hungry. I think I need more volume. Even though it's lower calorie I do better on a bigger bowl of fat-free yogurt and fruit with just a scoop of regular greek yogurt on top. If I was just to eat bacon I would probably have to eat a whole packet in one meal.
    Isn't that a sign that you may not be fat adapted yet and you may still have a high fasting Insulin level which results in low blood sugar (hunger) before Insulin falls low enough to release the gates of lipolysis?
    Low fat Yoghurt, isn't that by definition high sugar high GI Yoghurt?

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    I'm 31 yrs old. Personally, if I don't eat enough fat (from animal sources mainly), I find myself to be very very hungry. When I eat lower-fat, I crave crappy foods such as chips, popcorn, breads etc, etc..... So, I try to stay high fat
    Same here, and I'm over 35. Did low-fat since high school, and can honestly say primaleo is the first time I've felt satiated and happy. I don't really min/max my macros. I eat protein and fat and sometimes I have sweet potatoes and sometimes I have a banana or a peach or some berries. I will cut the fat off my steaks if there's too much (just not appetizing), but I'm guessing I'm eating about 35/40/25 (fat/protein/carb) on any given day.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast