Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Raw foodism is silly. Here's why... page 12

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    [QUOTE=palebluedots;929386]I was raw vegan for almost a year. You do have to eat all the time to feel satisfied, but it is easy to lose weight.QUOTE]

Maybe easy to lose weight, but what kind of weight? Looks like muscle and bone loss to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    As for me, I find fat very satisfying. I also find protein satisfying. It's better if I do both. It seems that the ratio that comes naturally in meats works well to calm my appetite and make me feel good, but it can't be too lean a cut of meat, like one that they've cut all the fat off around the edges.
    This is true for me as well... need the saturated fat!

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Most of the world does not have access to 5%, raw, unhomogenized, fresh milk. It is illegal.
    You mean most of the US? This is really unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I know a lot of young women that have the same body as she does- even one that smoke, drink, use drugs and eat crap. She has age on her side, big time. She also probably has the genetics to be thin. If she looks like that at 40 or even 50.... let us know.

That said, her diet makes her happy and is apparently keeping her healthy and is better than what most people eat.
    True... genetics and age play a large role in this.

And for those of you who say you would love to look like her I find it interesting that her body type is what women aspire to look like. She is rail thin with no muscle. She looks like she is wasting away. I wouldn't want to look like her... I am happy with my curves and muscle. I like to look like a woman, not a 10 year old little girl.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Women were not meant to be lean. that 12% or 15% body fat is not a place a woman's body will get to without a lot of effort. I think Mark's article was spot on the other day. We need fat to make babies. I don't think the answer to thin is a hard, lean body for a woman. I don't think they are "healthier" than the stick thin model, actually. They are stronger, for sure, but not actually healthy.

I think men are generally drawn to healthy bodies which means some fat, that's shapely due to muscles and not in excess.

Otherwise... you are just getting lean for yourself. I guess it is a worthwhile goal to some, but don't kid yourself and think you can look like 12% taking steps that are positive to your health.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Magnolia, actually, I think nobody wants to be 12% & everyone is aware how dangerous and unsustainable it is for a female. It's more to have pronounced muscular definition like the 15% lady and the body fat low enough to show them (15-18%). Basically, low enough to have a flat tummy (that's normally below 20%) but not the clear-cut abs definition (that calls for 15 and below) and likely will cause skin sagging around the midsection if you were ever above 20% BF in your life for some time.

Women who do not use hormones will never have excess muscle. Anyone tells me about women bulking up, I always tempted to say: You WISH!!!" Third year in working on the visible deltoid bump and ham sweep (drool).

I have read about that body builder guy who sortta had a womanish problem, he bulked up too much fat when going from a normal state of fat. Well, he used raw vegan diet to go under weight and then bulked up like a peach after that. That's the first time raw vegan was on my radar ever. This is like the third time. But yeah, I checked out a couple of books from the library once, and I don't think it is feasible for more than a week. But when this year apples come in rolling... oh, my.

Anyway, I am wondering if once even can lose all that much weight. Knowing myself, I will probably just sling away nuts and avocado in enough quantities to not lose weight.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-23-2012 at 06:30 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I think 15% to 18% is even low for a body that is ready to support and carry a baby. Women are designed to be baby makers, not images in a magazine or on a stage. Our body will prevent us from getting too lean.

I also think you need to consider different body types, and a lot depends on what you are, where you can get. Personally, I have no problem adding muscle. My husband..... lord, he struggles to add any bulk. So you are also kind of limited by your body type. I know a small number of very cut, lean women, naturally. They maintain that look without much effort. I have a friend with perfect abs, actually defined, but she carries thigh and butt fat.

It's great to strive for lean, but realize that your health is determined by far more than a flat tummy.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    In this thread, one faction of folks who arbitrarily restrict food choices talk about how silly another faction of folks are that do the exact same thing.

irony or trolling.jpg

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    I remember when I did raw--tons of energy, but a perpetual feeling of "emptiness." Not exactly hunger, but just like something was missing. Plus I gained weight. I did eat raw dairy though and some seafood. Primal is the only diet (and I've tried them all), where I can stay lean and fit without starving myself. Nothing is more satiating to me than fat, and I really don't eat very much food--I don't need to. I wish I was as thin as the girl in the video, but with all the climbing and whatnot that I love to do, I would be way too weak with her lack of muscle and it just wouldn't be worth it.

Not to mention that I don't like fruit and very rarely touch it unless it's an avocado or tomato!
    This sounded like a great response, so I just wanted to quote to show my support. Bolded part for much love. I can see how you'd feel energized with a constant fructose high, but yeah, you'd be "full" of literally empty calories. Hooray for healthy fat and real satiety and meaningful energy.

Well, the bolded sentence really doesn't repel the raw foodism, because fat is readily available from the raw vegan sources, like nuts, avocados, olive and coconut oil. It is the protein that you can't get enough and of good quality for love or money on the raw vegan.

I think 15% to 18% is even low for a body that is ready to support and carry a baby. Women are designed to be baby makers, not images in a magazine or on a stage. Our body will prevent us from getting too lean.
    Right, but once we are done with baby making this fat serves no purpose. So, ideally, we should shed it to stop wasting valuable resources on supporting it. It's only sustainable. Now, muscle would serve every kind of purpose as the kid is growing up and needs more care and sustenance to be provided by the hard working mom. I mean, if we have attracted our mate by the show of fertility and reproduced, that the time in our life to get rid of the deposits that supported both purposes and strive for emotional bliss of becoming an ageless fit goddess giving our kids the run for the money and great role model!
    Last edited by Leida; 08-23-2012 at 07:52 AM.

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post

I also think you need to consider different body types, and a lot depends on what you are, where you can get. Personally, I have no problem adding muscle. My husband..... lord, he struggles to add any bulk. So you are also kind of limited by your body type. I know a small number of very cut, lean women, naturally. They maintain that look without much effort. I have a friend with perfect abs, actually defined, but she carries thigh and butt fat.

It's great to strive for lean, but realize that your health is determined by far more than a flat tummy.
    Too true - I'd be so, so happy with 18%, but it will probably not happen. I'm very Christina Hendricks-esque, and even when I was tiny in high school, I still had a rack and a wasp waist. I really can't put on much muscle, except in my thighs. My body type is just not meant for ethereal ballerina or strong bodybuilder. I think it's far more important to focus on health than just aesthetics, or even body fat percentage numbers. There's far more to heath than that.
    Last edited by lexie; 08-23-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Health and beauty is not an either or proposition. You do not have to pick one. It is perfectly healthy for a woman to be 18% BF if the right body composition is maintained & nutritional regimen is followed.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I'd be happy with 25%.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast