Thread: Is my butter grass-fed? page

Lukey is offline Senior Member

Is my butter grass-fed?

Shop Now
    hey guys, I live in Ireland, and i generally assumed all butter was grass-fed. The butter we get here is a dark yellow, unlike the white kind i see pitctures of from the US. Is it only in the US that cattle are grain-fed or would Irish butter be grain fed too?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I believe Kerry-gold is often heralded as the grain free god of butter.
    North American butter is often paler and not as creamy because it has a lower butter fat content. After living in the UK, I am now back in Canada and the best substitute for European butter is cultured butter.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Yea i have heard about kerrygold, but where i'm from most people eat a brand called the golden cow, which i can't tell for sure if it's grass fed or grain fed, they don't have a website. I tried phoning them, and the person i contacted wasn't sure if they were grass or grain fed.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Did some googling. From what I can tell, almost all cows in Ireland are grass-fed -- beef, veal, dairy etc. The industries there just aren't big enough to make the American CAFO-model profitable (thank goodness). However, many cows need grain-finishing in winter. My advice would be to stock up on butter in summer and freeze it. Then you're sure to get summer grass-fed butter.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Ok thats good news thanks for the info