Thread: Hi from Ex-Pat Brit now in Germany page

Hearne Hunter Gatherer is offline Junior Member

Hi from Ex-Pat Brit now in Germany

Primal Fuel
    Hi to everyone here on this great forum!

As the title says, I am a 44 yr old ex-pat Brit now living in Melle, near Osnabrück in northern Germany. I found this website and Mark's articles and books after searching the web for various things including barefoot running. A quick intro:

I have always been relatively fit and into sports of all kinds and being an ex-serviceman (Army) helped that a lot. During my stint with the army I started doing intense weight training with a few pals and we aimed to go for the power lifting stuff. I gained lots of weight over a few months, boosting my bodyweight (and fat) up to 120 kgs at only 1m 85 cm height. But we weren't doing it properly and were eating all kinds of rubbish just to "get big". After I left the army I went into a craze of running again and lost all that extra weight in a very short time by practically starving myself, not eating right and running huge distances every day. I dropped down to about 72 kgs again within 6 months...then got very, very ill.

I managed to even things out after that, eating better and doing moderate weight training on an on-off basis.

Then I started to put on the weight again and decided to do more running. I got heavily into the barefoot running scene and immediately found it exciting and enthralling. I just couldn't shift the weight though. Desperate to find answers I searched the web and at the same time had a kind of spiritual "knock on the door" when I saw some videos about mistreatment of animals in factory farming.

I then went RAW Vegan for a short period, but I couldn't handle this, healthwise, and was throwing up the smoothies and raw stuff more often that I was eating. So then I just stuck to being vegetarian. But my health, and my bodily appearance just kept on going downhill. I was deteriorating at a rapid pace.

It was then, about two months ago, that I found Mark's site. Since getting over my problems about eating meat, and finding out more about a primal lifestyle, I haven't looked back.

I have been eating primal for about 6 weeks now, and working out with the exercises in the Primal Blueprint Fitness Programm, and I am amazed at the results.

When I started, I was about 86 kg (Bodyfat no idea, but I was flabby around the belly) and now weigh in at 79 kgs, bodyfat according to our home scales (which I don't really trust, but I have no other way of measuring yet) 19,6%. And I can actually begin to see my Abs! (Something I have never been able to do, even when running extensively back then...)

I'm still learning a lot about what foods to eat and what to avoid, but without keeping track too much I think I avoid the bad carbs quite well.

Even my wife (who eats very badly) has caught the bug after seeing the results and hopefully, we will all (my wife and three children) will be eating more and more primal as the weeks progress.

Looking forward to reading some interesting and useful stuff here,

See ya

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Good to hear you're having success. My postings were Detmold (72-76) and Minden (76-78). I did some work in Osnabrück at the air squadron there, did some drinking too!

I'm not strict primal, apart from grains and even then I will have white rice or rice noodles every couple of weeks. I am also doing HIT exercise and strength training which takes me almost 15 minutes of actual effort a week. Once I am as strong as I'm going to be, I can drop the strength training to a two weekly cycle. As an idle git, suits me!
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Hearne Hunter Gatherer is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Good to hear you're having success. My postings were Detmold (72-76) and Minden (76-78). I did some work in Osnabrück at the air squadron there, did some drinking too!
    Hi Nigel,

yeah Minden, I know it well. We used to have a detachment at Minden. I was at Osnabrück from '85 to '88, it's all gone now, they turned most of the barracks over to the civvies and they made offices out of them. You'd hardly know there were any military based there now.

Thanks for the comment!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hearne Hunter Gatherer View Post
    I was at Osnabrück from '85 to '88, it's all gone now, they turned most of the barracks over to the civvies and they made offices out of them. You'd hardly know there were any military based there now.
    The barracks/airfield at Detmold now has a main road going through it so I suppose the accommodation there has gone the same way. Our quarter at Minden was by the canal and we had a hiring at Pivitsheide outside Detmold. Loved Germany and the six years we had there.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Ja hallole, Willkommen in Deutschland !
    And welcome to the MDA forums as well