Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to eat just before a workout? page

source99 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi All,

I am curious what people eat in the hour before a workout and the hour after a workout?

Specifically if I gonna do a pretty hard workout(yes I know chronic cardio is bad) what would you recommend in the hour leading up to the workout.

Thanks

Matt

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I generally have 3 eggs, a piece of fruit, and a cup of coffee when I wake up at 4:15am, then I'm at the gym and starting my workout at 5:30am.

This does not overstuff me. What affects me more is how much I eat the night before at dinnertime. If my dinner was too big, it feels like a cannonball in my guts when I'm working out.

I eat again about an hour after my workout, usually a meat and veggie combo, like broccoli-chicken stir-fry, or asian slaw with a salmon burger. Yeah, kind of a weird breakfast, but I like to eat hearty in the morning.

@ Matt, what time do you workout?

oldboy Guest

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2009/02/23/fat-loss-fasted-workouts-hormones-speak/

Hey if possible keep your workouts intense but under 45min. It depends on what you want to do loose fat or gain strength. The article will tell you the rest.

SullynNH Guest

Read an interesting bit by Art De Vany...he suggests not eating well before or after a workout as it helps promote growth hormone production and he states that protein and other foods taken immediately after working out will cause a normal rise in insulin that stop hGH production.

kjake55 Guest

I drink a high-quality protein drink both within 1 hour of and 1 hour after working out. I find that the 1 before keeps me strong during the WOD whether it's strength, cardio or a combo thereof. I simply don't fatigue as easily. The 1 after gets protein back into the muscles asap without having to be digested in the stomach first. Typically I eat 2 hours before (apple w/almond butter) and 2 hours afterwards (whatever I'm hungry for). Part of the trick, at least for me, is not to "over-justify" the workout. In otherwords don't eat excessively before or afterwards with the thought that "I'll burn it off while I'm working out" or "I can afford a few extra calories since I just worked out hard" Ultimately however, it's what your sytem can tolerate. I know plenty of people who can't eat before hand lest they meet uncle pukie 1/2 way through the WOD! So it's really up to how you and playing around with combos of food and timing until you feel you have the right balance.

SullynNH Guest

here is the link:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...23BA9D11.hydra

T-Nation: You also prefer morning, fasted workouts, correct?

Dr. De Vany: For me they work better. I can get to the gym more reliably, and they set up my day as they make me relaxed and comfortable to be working at a desk (when I used to do that as a professor).

But, there are some physiological reasons as well. You can go at it a bit harder on an empty stomach. I find it hard to work out hard in the afternoon any time after a meal.

Bodybuilders in the old days used to carry a bucket to throw up in during their workouts. There's a reason for this, which was not known at the time. If you release large amounts of growth hormone you can become nauseated.

It would be better not to have food there to regurgitate when you do work out hard enough to become nauseated. I almost always have a slight feeling of nausea sometime during a workout. So, a fasting overnight workout may avoid these problems.

But, an even better reason for morning workouts is physiological. The overnight fast releases hGH and the morning workout is a nice bonus to this hGH. So, you metabolize fat at a high rate during and after the workout. Arnold says morning workouts are best and I agree. But that doesn't keep me from working out whenever I feel like it.

A caution: when you work out in the morning you have to let your heart get used to the load. It's a bit of a shock, which is good but only up to a point. So, build the load to let your heart adapt.

mseibel is offline Junior Member

SullynNH: Thanks for tuning me in to Dr. De Vany. He is frikin' amazing. 68! I'll be picking up his book as soon as it comes out.

SullynNH Guest

Actually he's 71 now...he's referenced on here in the links section...pretty amazing guy!

AceQHounddog is offline Junior Member

I like to cut a banana in half the long way. Then I top it with a mixture of almond butter, honey, and cinnamon. It's delicious, doesn't weigh me down, and gives me great energy. I do this for strength training only. My metcon WOD's I do fasted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast