Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: gut healing powder/supplement? page 3

  1. #21
    KerryK's Avatar
    KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the Hudson Valley, New York
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    The problem with DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) is that it removes the steroidal anti-inflammatory component from the licorice root. DGL is mainly used to treat Helicobacter pylori infections.

    [SNIP].
    So if I wanted to get my Dad licorice root in order to assist his mild upset stomach, mild indigestion & reflux, which do you think would be better? Chris Kresser recommended DGL based on studies that showed DGL can protect stomach lining against damage from NSAIDS and assist in healing ulcers. My Dad is 93 so I suspect has low stomach acid. He has taken too many NSAIDs over the years (and even recently) to let me risk him trying the HCL w/pepsin + bitters, so I'll try bitters for him... he's taking bone broth, too. So basically, what I'm hoping is that you can share with me any studies that show the non DGL licorice root is better for healing than the DGL (if that is what you think).

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by KerryK; 08-16-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Spelling

  2. #22
    patski's Avatar
    patski is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Toronto
    Posts
    1,239
    James, thanks so much for your info.

    I talked to my doctor about your suggestions (licorice and yucca root), and she said we can start on that later. First off, we calm down my gut by removing the source of irritation/inflammation (food allergies).

    Yes, I have tried magnesium citrate and glycinate before. It's not enough.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

    Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

  3. #23
    JamesS's Avatar
    JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    So if I wanted to get my Dad licorice root in order to assist his mild upset stomach, mild indigestion & reflux, which do you think would be better? Chris Kresser recommended DGL based on studies that showed DGL can protect stomach lining against damage from NSAIDS and assist in healing ulcers. My Dad is 93 so I suspect has low stomach acid. He has taken too many NSAIDs over the years (and even recently) to let me risk him trying the HCL w/pepsin + bitters, so I'll try bitters for him... he's taking bone broth, too. So basically, what I'm hoping is that you can share with me any studies that show the non DGL licorice root is better for healing than the DGL (if that is what you think).

    Thanks in advance.
    The DGL is good for healing the stomach, and ulcers. But it lacks the anti-inflammatory effects of plain licorice root. And since the original poster has an inflammatory intestinal condition the plain licorice root becomes a better choice than DGL.

    Something else you should look in to for your dad is trimethylglycine (TMG), which is a methyl donor that is antacid, but helps with the production of stomach acid. TMG also provides numerous other benefits as the body uses methylation in over 4,000 reactions.

  4. #24
    patski's Avatar
    patski is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Toronto
    Posts
    1,239
    James, I forgot to add: I take digestive enzymes when I remember to. Sometimes they help with indigestion/burning stomach/burping...but sometimes they don't. I've tried HCI before too, and it made it worse.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

    Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

  5. #25
    JamesS's Avatar
    JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    James, thanks so much for your info.

    I talked to my doctor about your suggestions (licorice and yucca root), and she said we can start on that later. First off, we calm down my gut by removing the source of irritation/inflammation (food allergies).
    In my opinion that is kind of backwards. Leaky gut is an inflammatory condition, but this allows protein solutes to pass in to the blood acting as antigens. This further stresses the adrenals increasing the inflammation.

    Both licorice root and yucca root are not only steroidal anti-inflammatories to correct the leaky gut and thus help get rid of the food allergies, these herbs also support the adrenals. And it is adrenal hypofunction that leads to allergies from the reduction of epinephrine and corticosteroid output.

    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Yes, I have tried magnesium citrate and glycinate before. It's not enough.
    I don't know if what dose you took or if you only took it as needed, but it needs to be taken prior to needing it. At least a week or two prior to the beginning of the menstrual cycle. I recommend 300-400mg twice daily.

    Fish oils can also help reduce inflammatory prostaglandins. Red meats can increase them due to their pro-inflammatory omega 6 fatty acid arachidonic acid.

    There are also various herbs such as cramp bar or silk tassel (Garrya) that are strong smooth muscle relaxants.

  6. #26
    patski's Avatar
    patski is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Toronto
    Posts
    1,239
    James,

    I may look into those herbs anyway. I just have to source them, which may be a royal pain in the arse. I do drink licorice root tea. I'm actually brewing a cup right now.

    I do my best to buy grass-fed beef to avoid high O6 levels. I do eat wild salmon as much as possible these days.

    Done cramp bark. Didn't work.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

    Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

  7. #27
    patski's Avatar
    patski is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Toronto
    Posts
    1,239
    James,

    Would a tincture of each work?
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

    Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

  8. #28
    Iron Will's Avatar
    Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver B.C
    Posts
    621
    [QUOTE=JamesS;929836]I actually work with a variety of "alternative" medicines, but herbs are one of the primary things I work with. I design formulas, and teach classes on dealing with health holistically as well as take people on herb walks in our local deserts and mountains to show people what they can eat and use for medicine. I was in allopathic medicine for 13 years but left due to the massive corruption and simply the fact that most of the medical system knows virtually nothing about medicine.QUOTE]

    JamesS thanks for all the information that you have posted. It's actually brought up a couple more questions. First off, I have a female client in her early 40's that is looking for a supplement that would help with her cramps. She starts getting her cramps about a week prior to her actual period. I've already suggested Maca and Magnesium Taurate but I'm not sure what else to suggest. Can you make some suggestions that I can pass along?

    For my second question, can you suggest some good reading or online courses that I might be able to take to increase my knowledge? This stuff is like brain candy for me!

    Thanks. BTW another Canuck here.

  9. #29
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    12,402
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Candida is a dimorphic microbe. So it can exist as a benign yeast or as a pathogenic fungus depending on the pH of the terrain. A normal acidic environment turns the Candida growth gene off and keeps the Candida in its benign yeast form. In an alkaline environment the Candida growth gene is activated and the Candida morphs in to its pathogenic and aggressive fungal form. The acidic pH is maintained by our acid forming Lactobacillus and Bifidus bacterium. Cultured foods and fibers are the best way to maintain the flora.
    Does cultured foods include things like yogurt? I'm confused because everything I'd read says to avoid fibrous foods while battling with an overgrowth, because it will just feed the candida.

    My gyn wants to treat it as just an infection and use boric acid suppositories. I'm hesitant to introduce anything directly like that, as it is an imbalance in the body, not just one location in the body, that is causing the pH to be off and the overgrowth to occur.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

  10. #30
    KerryK's Avatar
    KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the Hudson Valley, New York
    Posts
    389
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    The DGL is good for healing the stomach, and ulcers. But it lacks the anti-inflammatory effects of plain licorice root. And since the original poster has an inflammatory intestinal condition the plain licorice root becomes a better choice than DGL.

    Something else you should look in to for your dad is trimethylglycine (TMG), which is a methyl donor that is antacid, but helps with the production of stomach acid. TMG also provides numerous other benefits as the body uses methylation in over 4,000 reactions.
    Thanks, I've been reading/hearing about methylation and I understand that it's greatly impaired in most elderly people.

    I have notes to investigate trimethylglycine and methionine and with the above recommendation, I'll put it on the front burner. I just reordered Dr Ray Sahelian's Mind Power (a proprietary blend) for it seemed to work a little (for mental clarity) but the TMG is a relatively low dose in that blend, I believe.

    Dad takes quite a few supplements and it's hard for me to make sure that he doesn't take too much of one particular ingredient since he does take a multi and a couple proprietary blends as well as single ingredient supplements. He's starting the Green Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil & High Vitamin Butter blend on a few days... but now I'm trying to figure out how that might affect the multi-vitamin he takes. So much to consider and I don't want him taking too high a dose.

    So back to TMG - do you have any data on dosage you could pass on?

    Thank you

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •