Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Anti-Primal Primal Diet (Primal Nutrisystem?) page 2

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    if her life supposedly is calming down in a month, why can't she just start then?
    NOT buying crap like chips and soda puts plenty of money back into the food budget for healthier choices.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    She is not ready to begin "Primal"- if she thinks it can be made into a quick fix weight loss plan (and doesn't want her kids eating it) then she doesn't understand what it is and isn't.

What she needs is like four recipes - pot roast with veg, roast whole chicken, primal meat loaf, and BAS, for examples. Cycle through those for a few weeks, alternating with whatever she normally cooks, then add more primal stuff and phase out the other. No reason this can't be a gradual process. But if she doesn't want her kids eating primal, then she doesn't think it's healthy, therefore she doesn't get it.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i really don't understand the disconnect people have with changing their own eating habits but not those of their kids.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I just moved into a dorm and I haven't cooked a thing yet. I'm eating tinned fish, cheese, veggies that taste good raw (lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, even green beans) dipped in guac, yogurt, tapenade, or baba ganoush, fruit, nuts and chocolate. Eezy peezy.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i really don't understand the disconnect people have with changing their own eating habits but not those of their kids.
    I agree. My kids eat what I do (2 and 4) with smaller portions and often extra fruit. Of course, we've never prepared extra food for them and if they don't like dinner their only choice is a piece of fruit instead.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I agree. My kids eat what I do (2 and 4) with smaller portions and often extra fruit. Of course, we've never prepared extra food for them and if they don't like dinner their only choice is a piece of fruit instead.
    Totally agree. My son was a garbage pail for food when he was young. Later of course, he became pickier. But when he was staying w/ me 3-4 days a week, he was given limited choices & when he got hungry enough, he'd eat that steamed broccoli w/ melted cheese on it or collards sauteed in oil w/ onions & salt. Funny how that works, isn't it...

And I agree with the assessment that this lady wants ez primal for herself but has reseervations about it for her kids, then she hasn't gotten educated enough about what primal is/isn't & why it applies to the entire family. It doesn't mean it can't work for her, she just needs to learn more & yes, that book, "Paleo for Dummies", sounds perfect! I'll look into seeing if they have it @ Barnes & Noble, it'd be a perfect give-away gift to my family, friends & new clients.

Update including some other excellent looking, well reviewed Paleo books for newbies: Amazon.com: Living Paleo For Dummies (9781118294055): Melissa Joulwan, Dr. Kellyann Petrucci: Books

It Starts with Food: Discover...
    Melissa Hartwig
    Hardcover

Last edited by Betorq; 08-27-2012 at 05:29 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Penady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamchibi View Post
    I've done that, teach. She has a very large family with small children at home and she's not comfortable with feeding them primal. She was worried that she'd have to cook twice, once for the family once for her, but I showed her how she could just skip the rice or bread on her own plate if she really wanted to serve it to the kids. Her dishes are usually elaborate casseroles or skillet dishes though, long on carbs and short on protein (for financial reasons) so it would really require her to learn a new method of cooking entirely. I got the impression she was looking for something simple for herself while she creates her elaborate family meals that doesn't require her to "cook twice."
    I really hope this doesn't come across as bitchy...if so, I don't mean it that way. If she can plan elaborate meals for her family, she surely has enough time to throw a hunk of meat in a crock pot before work, throw together a quick salad when she gets home, and voila! Dinner is served. That's as elaborate as she needs to get, tasty, and perfectly safe for the young'uns. However, it sounds like your friend has an excuse for whatever help you offer. When she's ready, hopefully she'll let you know and then you can offer advice. Until then, it sounds like you'll just be banging your head against a wall.

Thistle5 is offline Junior Member
    I just started trying to eat this way, & it hasn't been a problem w/ my family, my husband & teenage son are thrilled that I'm fixing big dinners w/ !meat! (I don't tend to eat alot of meat), the biggest adjustment has been w/ my pescetarian daughter who doesn't want to give up her junk food (chips, ramen, soy), but we're working on it, & increasing her veg & fruits...

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Her dishes are usually elaborate casseroles or skillet dishes though, long on carbs and short on protein (for financial reasons)
    If she can't afford protein for her family, I can't see how she can afford even Jenny Craig or Lean Cuisine for that matter.

Maybe she does not understand how simple primal cooking really is. It's meat and vegetables. Need more food for kids? Throw them a potato or a sweet potato or pasta. Short on money? Buy normal meats and veggies instead of organic/grass fed.

Can you give her some real life examples?
    I have hamburger night. I grill a burger and eat it with spinach and a sweet potato. Give the kids a bun. I make curries. Husband gets rice. I have mine with no rice, maybe some zucchini noodles or over a sweet potato. have bacon and eggs for breakfast, toast for the family.

Primal is not like eating macrobiotic raw foods or vegan.... It's really easy to work around and be primal.... maybe not *perfect* but to be 80% doesn't take a lot of effort. Even eating out its not that hard to pull off. And Primal food is actually good. Serving your kids the bora bora meatballs from well fed with a side of green beans is like amazing.... its not like feeding them steamed tofu with vegan yeast cheese. It seems like very kid (and husband) friendly food.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12