Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "WTF" Moments page

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member

"WTF" Moments

Primal Fuel
    Ever since learning about the Primal lifestyle, I'm having these moments that literally leave me speechless and somewhat confused. Usually these moments occur when I'm talking to people about nutrition.

My "moment of the day" today occurred at the dinner table. My brother and I are both in college but are currently living at home. My mother cooked curry chicken today. She also made some white rice with it. My brother complains that the rice is unhealthy and that he thinks brown rice is better. I can understand how he would think that, because that's what most people think. Here's where the "WTF moment" comes in... Instead of eating the white rice, he grabs some crackers to eat. The crackers are made from "white enriched bleached flour" O.O I pointed out that the enriched bleached flour is unhealthy even according to CW standards. His response: "but it's a cracker, so it's much healthier than white rice"

What I want to know is what makes a cracker healthier? The fact that its a square shape? I didn't argue because I usually try to keep my opinion on health to myself. But it did make me chuckle a bit

Adrigg8 is offline Junior Member
    Haha, that's definitely a worthy WTF moment. I also experienced one of those this morning, myself and two other roommates just started the Whole30 yesterday but have been talking about it for a while. Our fourth roommate ben thinks we are insane for the things we are eating. His argument this morning as I am cooking bacon: I can't believe you guys are eating bacon on this "diet"....uck. Me: Why? Bacon is good fat and delicious protein, things our bodies need! Him: I just don't get it, there's SO much fat in bacon. I'm going to laugh when you are all fat after 30 days...

I didn't even argue further, not worth it. This has been his response to me cooking bacon for the past week. WTF

Fletch666 is offline Senior Member
    I told my doctor I only ate real food, and never any processed or junk food.
    He said fad diets never lasted.
    Eating real food is a fad diet?
    WTF?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrigg8 View Post
    I didn't even argue further, not worth it. This has been his response to me cooking bacon for the past week. WTF
    Why not ask him to put his money where his mouth is and get measured along with you, as a 'control' for the unhealthy diet you have embarked on.

This is not really a WTF moment, but I had a triple helping of dinner last night, followed by a fried banana with a square of chocolate and about 200ml of cream for dessert. Then I had a second dessert

Like is rough sometimes.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch666 View Post
    WTF?
    It is a fad. Only been around for a million years or so. It will pass.....

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Haha, that's definitely a worthy WTF moment. I also experienced one of those this morning, myself and two other roommates just started the Whole30 yesterday but have been talking about it for a while. Our fourth roommate ben thinks we are insane for the things we are eating. His argument this morning as I am cooking bacon: I can't believe you guys are eating bacon on this "diet"....uck. Me: Why? Bacon is good fat and delicious protein, things our bodies need! Him: I just don't get it, there's SO much fat in bacon. I'm going to laugh when you are all fat after 30 days...

Your roommate is just jealous because he is not "allowed" to eat bacon as often as you are Lol but seriously, its very irritating when people make comments like this. If people just took the time to read a little bit on how the primal diet actually works, then they would see that there is no reason to be scared of fat.

WTF?
    "fad diets"? I hope you're doctor was just kidding! Ask him/her what you should be eating, if you shouldn't be eating whole foods...

This is not really a WTF moment, but I had a triple helping of dinner last night, followed by a fried banana with a square of chocolate and about 200ml of cream for dessert. Then I had a second dessert
    Life is hard...but oh so yummy You're dessert sounds delicious!

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    It is a fad. Only been around for a million years or so. It will pass.....
    I spewed water on my monitor when I read this! Thanks for the laugh!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch666 View Post
    WTF?
    Yeah.... lol... my son is enrolled in a healthy eating program (as he's overweight). We've actually been trying to get into this program LONG before I started primal. Well... I as a parent have to go along too and sometimes I'm just aghast. Of course the recommendations for foods are all CW.

The other day we did label reading to decide what is "friendly" and what is "unfriendly". Apparently a packaged something that has less than 5% fat and less than 5% sugar is "friendly". Lol. So low fat processed cheese rubbish is "friendly" crappy rice crackers that probably have MSG and God knows what are "friendly". (Mind you there was nothing that was ACTUALLY "friendly" as it's all processed rubbish).

I find it disturbing. Particularly as "BAD" foods include butter and coconut oil (and other coconut products) and CANOLA oil is GOOD. ARGH ARGH ARGH!!!

Then we discussed food "staples" you know, food we ALL need to be healthy... these included such wonderful items as bread, pasta and cereal. I just shake my head . Carbs are apparently fanfreakintastic unless they're sugars... and as for fats if it's saturated it's bad and if it's processed BS oils it's good.

The sad thing is I'm getting my son to go primal, and if he loses weight before the end of the program they'll think it's because he's been doing all the "right" things . When in fact, he'll have been doing sooo much different.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    We went on a trip with my in-laws a couple of weeks a go and stayed in a condo together. I got up the first morning and fried myself a 1/2 pound of bacon and a couple of eggs fried in the bacon grease. As my MIL is sitting there on her 100 pound over weight butt eating a poached egg and a piece of lightly margarined toast she says "but wouldn't a slice of toast be really good with that"? WTF I'm eating freakin BACON and FRIED eggs, what could be better than that?

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post

Like is rough sometimes.
    I have been thinking of treating myself to something similar to this lately. What did you cook the banana in?

I don't have too many WTF moments, just the usual "I could never xxx" responses. One that got me was someone at work asking about my weight loss, followed by me giving him a 5 minute primer on Paleo, followed by him asking "So what do you eat, just bread?" Yes, non-refined, non-processed, non-manufactured bread. I buy it from some unicorns.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast