Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is water enough? page

teach2183 is offline Senior Member

Is water enough?

Shop Now
    Occassionally I play 2 indoor soccer games in one night. This means being on the field 45 minutes and in goal 20 minutes, possibly on the field 60 minutes. Total duration of the games is 80 minutes, I typically sub out for 5 minutes per half. Is water enough while I'm playing, or is there something else I should be turning to in order to stay hydrated and perform at my best?

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    You are fine. No worries.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    If you're not having any problems, then it's enough.

If you're getting headaches or something like that, then you could use coconut water to replace the electrolytes you're probably losing.

That's what I have to do, but I'm sweating pretty good for about 5 or 6 hours straight, 5 or 6 days a week. That's probably not normal. It doesn't take much, though. I'm usually fine with one 11oz pack a day, and not even that if I'm not sweating too much that particular day.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

I do swet quite a bit as it's a ton of sprinting. At times I have gotten chills while playing. I used to do Gatorade, but have cut that out due to the sugar. Perhaps it would be okay when playing 2 games. I'm guessing coconut water is $$?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It's not cheap, but it's not really that pricey either. The thing is, you don't chug it like Gatorade and expect it to quench your thirst. It's more like a supplement to water, like a liquid supplement. So you're not going to be drinking a liter of it at a time unless you're independently wealthy.

You can get it at most grocery stores, usually in the health food section. Just look for ones that are just coconut water and nothing else. CocoVita is pretty good, and so is O.N.E. Actually, I've seen it lately at a lot of convenience stores too.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Stick to your water and do some homework on post workout nutrition...and maybe pre workout nutrition?
    One of my brothers was a top triathlete, ironman, surf lifesaver and he felt that we should be able to exersize for 1.5 - 2 hours before rehydrating. I am sure others have their own view on this one

keep at it !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Stick to your water and do some homework on post workout nutrition...and maybe pre workout nutrition?
    One of my brothers was a top triathlete, ironman, surf lifesaver and he felt that we should be able to exersize for 1.5 - 2 hours before rehydrating. I am sure others have their own view on this one

keep at it !
    I don't consume anything after playing. The games are too late at night (7, 7:45 or 8:30) and I'm nowhere near hungry afterwards. But perhaps I will look into ideas for what to eat for dinner on the nights of games.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    great. let us know how you get on
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    I stick to water when playing soccer. I play around the same time in the evening so just got to make sure I give myself long enough for food to go down.

elenius is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Water is all you need. I consumed only water during my 5h trail marathon.

Don't overdrink, and you don't need electrolytes. Tim Noakes' newish book "Waterlogged" explains all the science in excruciating detail, but this review of the book covers it well (and is a highly recommended read):
    Waterlogged – A Dogma-Shattering Book?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast