Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water and belly fat ... page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

The friend that put me on to paleo and first linked me to PB is somebody that I write to every now and then for advice and to compare routines/eating habits etc. In his last e-mail he wrote:

"The most important factor in my eating regimen: I drink a massive amount of water everyday. Eating large amounts of fat and protein requires a substantial amount of water for digestion and absorption, so if I don’t supplement my diet with a massive uptake in my water consumption, I store water in the form of food and get the “belly bloat” that people often confuse with belly fat. By drinking additional water to compensate, I don’t retain that additional water and I’ve noticed that my stomach and abdominal area feels much “tighter”..."

Ever since then I've been wondering if I should drink more water. I already had a post where I discussed how unpleasant it is for me to run to the bathroom over and over again whenever I make a conscious effort to drink water through the day. It's simply NOT fun. I've always had issues with going to the bathroom too often even as a little kid.

I've had success with the PB so far, and have started to be able to see my abs but there's still some road to cover.

Most of my water I drink in the form of tea, but I have no problems eating water straight up. However, Mark has written that it's not imperative to drink a ton of water, since we get a lot of it through food.

Has anybody experimented with this and noticed a tighter mid section or a reduction in that particular area?

I always just assumed that as my body fat % lowers, it will go away... I would still place myself in the higher teens for body fat, if not in the lower 20s...

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I've really gotten out of the habit, but I used to drink a lot of water. I actually feel better when I drank more and should go back to doing it.

One thing I used to do, and I'm tempted to experiment with it again, was to weigh myself before bed, then drink a bottle of water. Then weigh myself after peeing in the morning. Typically I'd lose more weight when I drank water than when I didn't. I'm just so out of the habit that I forget to do it now.

I don't know if there's any science behind that, but it helped me for a long time. I've been feeling puffy lately. Maybe some water is just what I need.

Molon Labe is offline Junior Member

Drinking plenty of water makes everything better. I shoot for 3-4 water bottles a day (32oz). You really can't say enough about hydration.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Diana, if I drank a bottle of water at bedtime, I'd be up at 2 a.m. making a bathroom visit.

If I ease off liquids in the evening, I usually don't wake up during the night. Morning is my time for lots of fluids.

primalpatty is offline Senior Member

"I store water in the form of food..."

Huh?

TenYearStorm Guest

I don't think it matters too much when it comes to fat loss. Drink when you are thirsty. However, it is better to have to pee more often than to become dehydrated. So aim for drinking a little more than you think you need.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

When I drink too much, I bloat, and my BP goes way up. I have much more luck following my thirst. I also watch the color of my pee. Too far from a nice yellow, and I cut back my drinking.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Primalpatty, I think iniQuity means that his body stores excess water in order to use it to digest protein and fat.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member

Lipolysis - or hydrolisis of fat - requires copious amounts of water to function properly. I drink around 3 - 4 litres of water each day, topping off with a bottle of water just before I go to bed. I have noticed if I have had enough fat during the day I don't have to go before the morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipolysis

Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm certainly going to take up my water before bed habit again.

Another plus to doing that- waking up in the morning and really having to pee keeps one from lingering in the blankets for too long- LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast