Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full time RV-ing page

ErinF is offline Senior Member

Full time RV-ing

Primal Fuel
    I'm just wondering if anyone here does this or has done this in the past and what your thoughts are. My husband is looking into several jobs that would require us to travel all over the states so we would basically be living in an RV full time with our two kids (2 and 1) and our Pug. I've never really considered any specific place "home" so I am really excited about the possibility to travel a lot, but being that way I tend to look at all the positives and deny any negatives to that lifestyle even exist.

patrickh is offline Member
    I've never done it myself, but have always wanted to. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of job did he take that would require this? I've been needing a change.

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    He's looking into several jobs now, he hasn't accepted a position with anyone as of yet. One of the jobs would be working for the FAA, another is working with a company that he became familiar with during his employment with the Utah National Guard. I believe they are all related to working on airplanes and helicopters. I could find out more info if you're interested. I really don't know a lot about the details, sorry.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I have it in my head that when I'm finished raising my son, I'd like to move to a more nomadic lifestyle and I think living out of an RV would be perfect. It would be hard parrying down my stuff, but I think I'd like to see more of the world and to get away from the stuff that holds us back.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Cooking and food storage would be something I'd need to get used to. I like to spread out and use my oven, all my burners, and grills a lot of the time.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Good luck. It's like living out of a fishbowl. Say goodbye to privacy.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My parents do this a few months out of the year. They load up their RV and go down to Arizona and hang out in these big communities of other RVers in Quartzite and somewhere else down there. They also sometimes take the RV to Alaska or to the mid-West to visit family and I think next summer they want to travel around the Rockies.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    My only experience is a 2 week RV trip with my husband and dog. It was a lot of fun, I would get up and go like that again in a heartbeat. My only concern in your case would be where would the RV be parked, as your husband would have a job that would necessitate being in one locale mostly right? As long as you can find a place that will be high quality for your babes, I think you should go for it!
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    My wife and I are planning on spending a year or so living nomadically out of a trailer, traveling all over the US and figuring out where we would like to live, just for the experience. We're looking at a pretty minimalist existence, probably a Cricket Trailer, a light truck/small SUV to pull it, and some bikes on the roof rack.

It's intimidating but also really exciting, IMO.

So, yeah, ask me in 3 years or so and I'm sure I'll have all kinds of advice for ya.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Two things...

1. Laundry. Save your quarters for the laundromat.

2. Getting places once you're in a campground. If you get a trailer or 5th wheel, the truck that pulls it can be used for driving around when you're in one place. But will hubby need the truck to get back and forth to work? Or you'll have to take him and pick him up so you have transportation while he's at work.

3. School for the kids.

Okay, three things.

Hubby and I, with three kids, did a lot of RV vacations with a pickup truck camper. For vacations it worked fine; we'd settle at a campground, put the camper on the jacks, and use the truck for getting places. But as a full-time home, with small kids, it might be a bit difficult. If the kids aren't in school yet, or you home school, that would make that part of it a little easier.

When we're both retired, we plan on getting a 5th wheel "toy hauler" so we can put our motorcycles in the back... AND so that it will have room for one of those apartment-sized washer/dryer units. We lived in our camper with two big dogs and a cat for six months while our house was being built. I hate laundromats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast