Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Lifestyle vs. School lunchroom regulations page

dneilly81 is offline Junior Member

Primal Lifestyle vs. School lunchroom regulations

Primal Fuel
    My household, since the end of May this year, has successfully transitioned to a Primal lifestyle! However, I am faced with a new dilema. My son is attending preschool in Kentucky, and apparently there is a state regulation that requires all lunches brought from home to adhere to the same standard as the meals they serve in the cafeteria. Each lunch must include protein, vegetable, fruit, milk (has to be drinkable milk, cannot substitute with cheese), and bread. I have already contacted his pediatrician, who has written two letters of support for gluten free diet, but the school is asking her to specifically state, "it is my professional opinion that _______ follow a gluten free diet." Both of the pediatrician's letters only state that she approves of my ability to choose the items to put in his lunch box as his mother, because I know better than anyone what foods he can and cannot tolerate. She also states that, according to me, he should adhere to a gluten free diet and that she supports this choice. I am still getting pushed by the school to provide a more detailed letter from the pediatrician, but I don't think she is going to be willing to write what they are asking.

The school says that they have state officials come into the school and that they will go through each and every lunchbox in the lunchroom to ensure compliance. They are telling me that I either have to abide by these rules, or get a letter from his pediatrician stating exactly as above.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you handle it and where exactly is this regulation written where I can actually read it? I've been considering making something that has the appearance of being bread, but I have no idea what I could substitute, and whether it would be something that he should eat Monday - Friday. I am so frustrated and beyond livid at the idea that someone can tell me what my kids should and should not be eating! I know y'all are going to shutter at this, but in my opinion, if I wanted to send my kid to school with McDonalds every day, that's my business and my right as his parent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Help paleo parents!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Yikes, I hope I don't have to contend with that. I would heavily consider homeschooling if they tried to push that issue. Could you do a flax wrap though? Can be cut up into squares like pita bread. Both my kids (2 and 4) love it whenever I've made it. Could you find some gluten free pretzels or other gluten free breadlike items? I would also ask the school to show you where it says that homemade lunches have to abide by a certain protocol and what happens if you don't do it.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Ok... so it says those items have to be provided, not that they are consumed... could you "humor" them and send a piece of bread, have child bring piece of bread home each night, repack said piece of bread each day, until it get too gross to pack? Same with milk? I'd probably pack two lunches - one bag with the gross bread and milk that abides by their rules and the bag with your son's actual lunch. One gets eaten, one comes home each day to be reused tomorrow. That'd be my snide way of handling the situation.

But then again, my doctor would also humor the school and write the note exactly as they want it. But she's Paleo as well, so it wouldn't be a stretch for her to say she recommends the diet for your child.

I would ask the doctor again... it's easier than abiding by their rules, IMO.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

If it's any consolation, I have to pack a special lunch for my son to go to daycare next week. The daycare lunch director said she's required to serve each child bread with every meal. (Gross) So for the 3 days that my son will be there next week (his summer camp is ending and the before/after school program doesn't start til Friday!!!), I have to pack his lunch and breakfast and snack. Eventually we'll be transforming our daughter as well, but with the rules the daycare has set, it's easier to just let her eat daycare food. Son has behavioral issues, which prompted the change in diet. He was already taking his own lunch at his request, but it wasn't gluten free by any stretch. Now it is. It's also red dye #40 free as well, which is proving to be more complicated than I thought.

Why not draft the letter for the physician to sign, keep it to the point, and just let her know the school is being persnickity?

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Why not draft the letter for the physician to sign, keep it to the point, and just let her know the school is being persnickity?
    Good idea!

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I thought america was supposed to be free.

Oh well, the true north is still strong and free.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    I thought america was supposed to be free.

Oh well, the true north is still strong and free.
    This is why America is fat... b/c we claim to be free, but can't even choose our own kids' lunches. Government does for us, then we're all fat and unhealthy and have to go to the doctor. Then medical costs get higher and higher b/c there's such a demand for doctors and pharmaceuticals... and now the government is going to save the day with the Affordable Care Act...

I'm not saying the ACA is a good or bad idea... I just think it's an odd coincidence that we're fat b/c the government tells us what to eat and now they have to pass a law to make living "on drugs" less expensive...

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Homeschool! Don't let the government take control of your own children.

If the administrators still give you hassle even with a revised Dr.'s note, contact them to ask who will be keeping the extra clothes and cleaning supplies for when your child is violently sick from the grains etc. That should shut their traps.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast