Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Lifestyle vs. School lunchroom regulations page 2

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    +1
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Personally I would tell the school to kiss my ass and either home school or put them in a private school. I would NEVER put my child in a government school. I don't care if I had to work 3 jobs on top of running my business.

Daisynyc is offline Member
    Something about this "regulation" sounds "off" to me.

The only regulation I can find for Kentucky is one that regulates what is SOLD in the school outside of the NSLP:

702 KAR 6:090. Minimum nutritional standards for foods and beverages available on public school campuses during the school day; required nutrition and physical activity reports.

Note - the header says food "available", but available is later defined as "sold." Don't assume the District understands this regulation or is applying it correctly. Ask to see a copy of the regulation stating that lunch from home must comply.
    Last edited by Daisynyc; 08-15-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisynyc View Post

The only regulation I can find for Kentucky is one that regulates what is SOLD in the school:

702 KAR 6:090. Minimum nutritional standards for foods and beverages available on public school campuses during the school day; required nutrition and physical activity reports.

Don't assume the District understands this regulation or is applying it correctly. Ask to see a copy of the regulation stating that lunch from home must comply. Also, note that bread is not required under the published regulation.
    Good find!

Who exactly is telling you that your lunch has to match a certain template? Is it the principal or the lunch director? it's quite possible they're mistaken and don't understand the regulations fully.

dneilly81 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Why not draft the letter for the physician to sign, keep it to the point, and just let her know the school is being persnickity?
    That's exactly what I'm hoping to do. I just hope the pediatrician will sign it. I've already told them what the note needed to say, but they haven't drafted it exactly as I told them. I'm worried that they are not going to be willing to do so, but will cross that bridge if and when we get there I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisynyc View Post

The only regulation I can find for Kentucky is one that regulates what is SOLD in the school outside of the NSLP:

Note - the header says food "available", but available is later defined as "sold." Don't assume the District understands this regulation or is applying it correctly. Ask to see a copy of the regulation stating that lunch from home must comply.
    Here is the regulation that they emailed me this morning: 922 KAR 2:120 section 9

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dneilly81 View Post
    Here is the regulation that they emailed me this morning: 922 KAR 2:120 section 9
    That section has not a single mention of food that is brought from home. It is simply what the center is mandated to supply. You could tell them that they can put a package of wrapped crackers out when an inspector comes through. Won't cost them anything because they can re-serve it another day if it's unopened.

Quote Originally Posted by alg2435 View Post
    Homeschool! Don't let the government take control of your own children.
    I wish this was an option. I'm a single mom, so somebody has to pay the bills

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I would just toss in a piece of real rock solid hard bread that would never get touched but fulfilled the requirements none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I would just toss in a piece of real rock solid hard bread that would never get touched but fulfilled the requirements none the less.
    That's kind of what I was going for with my idea of having one slice of bread in the lunch bag... it would get gross and moldy at some point, I'm sure, but it would still serve the purpose of being a piece of bread brought from home to meet the requirements.

have you considered going to the school board about this? If it's not stated in the actual regulation, it's not necessary...

or a more "passive" route would be to print said regulation, and leave it in the child's lunch box. then when it's opened and "inspected" they'll see in print that it doesn't have to be the way they say it does.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast