Well, if I had my own solar panels and windmill, I would:

a) not have to pay some giant energy company to make a profit off my energy needs while they waste enormous amounts of energy moving it through countless miles of high tension wire, and
b) I would probably limit my energy needs to what my devices provided to me.

Add a pelton wheel to my list, if I had a creek. I'd love to have a pelton wheel.

As for Knifegill's stuff, they aired a segment on 60 Minutes the other day about face blindness. Perhaps you have face blindness?

By the way, I'm a female and have no desire for children, don't like it when people stick their babies in my face, and don't feel much desire for human closeness. I believe my father and uncle both have some degree of Asperger's. I think some of my cousins on my father's side do too. But if you met me you'd see a fairly normal, friendly, smiling person, not a weirdo by any means, unless being adventurous and loving the outdoors makes you think I'm a weirdo. Lots of women think it does, but lots of men think it makes me highly desirable.

I think "tribe" or whatever you want to call it is going to matter when the SHTF. Sharing garden bounty with your neighbors is like insurance for those times. Cultivating old skills is, too, like knowing how to sew, make shoes, build things.