Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Big Paleo Thing? page 4

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    A paradigm I would like to see shifted is our economic system's dependency on exponential, limitless growth. I think we're in for some rough times ahead and if I live to be 100 I might have to experience some really painful changes. Another thing I would like to see is the end to centralized energy. Rather than destroy the desert with solar plants (you should see them, oh my god) we should all have solar on every building. Rather than destroy the desert with windmills (sorry, that is not clean energy, I've seen it) we should have our own windmills in the back yard or on the roof. Also, rather than shit in our fresh water it would be nice to see composting toilets or gray water toilets instead. I don't know if any of that is paleo, except maybe the toilets. Paleo pooping. Maybe we could use green waste for TP.

By the way, last year there was this property near me for sale that had an off-the-grid homestead on it. Probably not totally self-sustaining as the high desert isn't going to allow for much of a garden, but it cost less than some cars and had a great pinyon pine tree and I wish it was mine.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, I think it is good that there are no new things around the corner. In my experience all the new things I have seen are about increasing misery, like cold treatments; fat fasts; various food eliminations theories....

I mean, I remember getting out of my office building wondering if shrimps or eggs is the best bet in the Safeway because I could not stand a fat fast any more, and it was drizzingly cold, and I was without my jacket, and a thought occurred to me that "Thanks goodness I am that cold, at least I am getting thermic effect even if I have no balls to eat just fat all day and my appetite does not miraculously reduces...."

And I cheated yesterday, I tell ya, I ate cabbage. Yeah, I know, paleo/primal novelties are now taking away the cabbage from me. Low, low, low day....
    Last edited by Leida; 08-15-2012 at 07:18 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ryan54 is offline Member
    Wilton - I feel you and am similar to you as far as a big picture type of person. Don't go out looking for something new, though. Let it find you!

Just a few fields that I believe will be getting more attention over the next 25 years or so. These may seem like familiar subjects, but IMHO we've only just begun to scratch the surface of their potential.

Endocrinology. Because what the Primal community needs is a few more threads on insulin and leptin, right? Occasionally ghrelin gets a shout out, or T3 and T4 comes up in iodine threads, but there are dozens of hormones and hormonal functions that have not garnered much attention. And with a substantial amount of studies on insulin, for example, we still read tired bromides about how saturated fat contributes to diabetes. My guess is that we're going to start understanding more about how hormones work systemically, rather than their isolated functions, and that endocrine disruptors (e.g., BPA) in home cleaning products, health and hygiene products, and other manufactured materials, will be closely scrutinized.

Epigenetics. Epigenetics already gets some attention from the Primal community, but again, we've merely seen the tip of the iceberg. Modern consumer society in general seems rather cavalier about the effects of GMOs, endocrine disruptors, pesticides, herbicides, and the entire chemical stew we bathe in, but epigenetic changes can occur rapidly. Consider the Russian fox experiment and what it tells us about the great variety of domesticated dogs, all descended from the wild wolves: massive epigenetic changes with visible results were effected in very few generations. Check out Dr. Ron Rosedale's guest column at MDA for a discussion on telomeres, another aspect of epigenetics with exciting possibilities and conflicting current scientific knowledge.

Mycology. There seems to be little interest in the Primal community for the potential of mushrooms in one's diet to promote health and to fight infections, and possibly even serious diseases such as cancer. Cooking mushrooms such as shiitake, maitake, and oyster mushrooms have long been touted in Eastern cuisines for their medicinal properties, and supplements including reishi and cordyceps have some followers. The polysccharides in mushrooms have garnered some initial interest, but the research community has not devoted nearly the amount of study to mushrooms as it has pharmaceuticals. The adaptogenic properties of mushrooms make them good health "tonics," and certainly would be worthy of adding to your whole-egg omelets, but the true benefit of mushrooms seems myriad: aiding as an anti-inflammatory, keeping cholesterol ratios healthy, antimicrobial properties, and more. But mushrooms also can be used in polluted environments to remove toxins from the soil safely, and mushrooms are a sustainable food source that may be farmed not only in horizontal beds but vertical columns, maximizing efficiency.

McNack is offline Junior Member
    There are a lot of cool big-picture comments here, like future changes to our energy and economic systems. I agree these will be a big part of our discussions and transition as a broader community. There are many exciting conversations to be had on this topic.

The Paleo community is going to continue to hash out the details, but in general, the tenants will remain; eat real, nutrient dense food, move and sleep. It's simple. As I've dailed this in, I've shifted my focus more to the lifestyle aspects of this community. In time, it as actually pulled me to resources outside the true paleosphere, but a lot of the philosphies remain the same in other focus areas.

Some things I've found value in exploring: simplification, mindfulness and intention, happiness. My thought is that if you can't see any exciting "Next Big Paleo Things" coming down the pipe, explore other circles...who knows what you can bring back to the folks here.

EDIT: Wanted to add; I've been using Zen Habits as way pick up on some ideas. I really like this site...he does hate meat and love soy though...
    Last edited by McNack; 08-15-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Forgot something...

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I would love to go "off the grid". Hopefully some day I can.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Oh wow, I'm totally into mushrooms. I like to find them in the wild. I've eaten 6 different varieties now I think. I'm not confident of my ability to identify them all, but I went out with a mushroom expert and he showed us tons of different mushrooms, some poisonous, some insipid, some worthy of songs. I think my new favorite is Agaricus campestris -- meadow mushrooms. Basically the grocery store mushroom, same genera but a different species and way more flavor. Being able to find mushrooms in the wild is a huge thrill. If you're looking for a next big thing for you personally, foraging is incredibly satisfying.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Oh wow, I'm totally into mushrooms. I like to find them in the wild. I've eaten 6 different varieties now I think. I'm not confident of my ability to identify them all, but I went out with a mushroom expert and he showed us tons of different mushrooms, some poisonous, some insipid, some worthy of songs. I think my new favorite is Agaricus campestris -- meadow mushrooms. Basically the grocery store mushroom, same genera but a different species and way more flavor. Being able to find mushrooms in the wild is a huge thrill. If you're looking for a next big thing for you personally, foraging is incredibly satisfying.
    I so totally want to do this. I have a book of wild mushrooms native to PA, and it doesn't appear that there are any varieties toxic to the point of death, but some that could offer digestive upset or just not taste good. I did make a turkey tail mushroom tea last fall, and spotten chicken of the woods, but deer ate it before I could sample any. Would love to find morels or chantarelles! But my confidence in identifying most 'shrooms holds me back from foraging.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I would love to go "off the grid". Hopefully some day I can.
    I'd love that too...

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    sbhikes I completely agree with you, we have to stop thinking of exponential growth. The earth can't take any more of it. We need to scale down our consumption. Instead of filling the desert with solar panels we need to figure out how we can live with less energy. We don't have to have everything available 24/7. Not that long ago things were closed on Sundays.

I love mushroom hunting. It's such a thrill to find and collect mushrooms. last year I fell in love with black trumpets. They dry really well and are wonderful added to stews.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast