Thread: Next Big Paleo Thing? page 3

Nady is offline Senior Member

Next big thing?

Primal Fuel
    How about this?

Slow metabolism linked to longevity : Disease Proof

Cut the calories, live longer!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Wiltondeprtes, now that we've questioned CW on diet/nutrition how about we look around and question all aspects of the paradigm shift that took place 10,000 years ago?

How about we look at all the things we lost when we transitioned to this culture? What did we loose when we decided to separate ourselves from nature and ultimately attempt to control it? Is there any way to fathom the intangible loss?

Perfecting our personal health is a worthy endeavor but I want to explore more than that.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    How about this?

Slow metabolism linked to longevity : Disease Proof

Cut the calories, live longer!
    I'd rather live 80 fast, hard years than 100 slow years. Actually, I don't care how long I live. That's what happens when you love what you do every day. I'm going out with my boots on!
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 08-15-2012 at 12:02 AM.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    You know, Knifegill's post is more profound that it would seem at the first reading. First you find paleo/Primal, then you adopt it, then you meet goals, all the while being absorbed and entertained and educated and paradigm-shifted and whatnot, and then once you have met your own fitness/health goals and read most of this blog, there is..... boredom??

When enough paleos/Primals reach the ripe old age of 100 without massive medical intervention, or losing their memories and/or bladder control, the unconvinced world will have no choice but to take notice - it will be inescapable. I really intend to work for the day that my local newspaper interviews me on my 100th birthday, in my own home, and I answer in a steady voice - I DID IT WITH PRIMAL! (Or whatever the relevant terminology will be 55 years from now.) That ain't sexy so much - but isn't it the point and core of why we do what we do? To live a long and healthy life? At its most basic level, why is that not enough?

In the meantime there are so many dragons to slay that I am having a hard time seeing how you could be bored (but I accept you are because you say you are). It is perhaps time for YOU to go out into the world and do something concrete to support the kinds of foods and lifestyle that the next generation should be thriving on and then reporting it back to US here to stimulate conversation, instead of appearing to wait on someone else to supply the entertainment for you.

I can think of several dozen ideas right off the bat for real-world engagement - stuff that pisses me off that ought to be fixed. I'm sure you have peeves as well - that is your starting point.
    Crabbcakes, I think you're being a little crabby. There is nothing wrong with discussing what to do next among a bunch of other people who also wonder what to do next. Collaboration is good, not a waste of time.

I understand what Knifegill is saying. In essence, there will naturally be a dropoff of 'new' stuff after a paradigm shift that you permanently adopt into your life. And even though it's 'old news', you should still appreciate and enjoy it daily. That's all fine and dandy, BUT..... listen to ErinF, NamelessWonder, and Urban Forager. There ARE new things to talk about that are out there. Let's look and break down those walls...

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Wiltondeprtes, now that we've questioned CW on diet/nutrition how about we look around and question all aspects of the paradigm shift that took place 10,000 years ago?

How about we look at all the things we lost when we transitioned to this culture? What did we loose when we decided to separate ourselves from nature and ultimately attempt to control it? Is there any way to fathom the intangible loss?

Perfecting our personal health is a worthy endeavor but I want to explore more than that.
    A meiutic teacher, are we?

These questions are perfectly valid and much more difficult to answer than a stick of grassfed butter. I think there's basically 2 aspects we can look at about how things have changed from caveman days to modern days.
    1. Ourselves as individuals. Physically and mentally.
    2. Us as groups and collectively as one, big group.

We have the 'physical' of the individual in a corner, bloodied, and broken.

Mentally as individuals, we are missing a couple teeth. Richard Nikoley, while not one who tries to lead, is one of the main voices I have heard on mental health and happiness. I think much of the 'community' that is significantly happier and better off mentally, is better off due to personal effort and partly luck. Too much of what we say is that physical health will lead to mental health. Not everything is a stick of butter or ray of sunshine or extra hour of sleep! Maybe we can make this a 'next step' in terms of the community discussion.

As groups and collectively, we might have a rug burn. This is a huge weak spot because it requires us to move beyond simply doing selfish things in our own lives. Now, we actually have to really collaborate and promote betterness in the entire area you live in, and even bigger if necessary/possible (dare I say, nation). These are things like NamelessWonder mentioned. Promoting the financial stability and productivity of small time, organic farms. I think people WANT to farm, but our economy since even the early 1900's has been such that farmers can't get rich farming. They sell their plot to the land baron or the county government, and they move into the city. Much to talk about on a small group level as far as starting other businesses and projects aside from direct food production. Politically, there is much to discuss as far as where the nation and world is headed. Much to talk about.

To directly answer your question about loss, I will respond that much was lost. "How to live" is how it's summed up. I think people were traumatized unlike possibly ever before, and the shockwaves were heard permanently in the generations to follow. Ultimately though, it is not necessary to talk about this loss. That was what we lost then, but here is where we are now. I see your mindset (I could be totally wrong) as more philosophical in nature, and I am getting to the point of wanting practicality and accountability. It sounds great to be lofty in one's motivations and ideas about the world, but a simple man who takes action will accomplish more than a genius, over-analyzing philosopher ever will. And if I'm wrong about your attitudes, I'm sorry. Just projecting my feelings and experience from the way you asked that question.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 08-14-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    If you feel something's missing in MDA, maybe it's time to cut your time here a little and explore other issues
    In other words, find a hobby!
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    If you feel something's missing in MDA, maybe it's time to cut your time here a little and explore other issues
    In other words, find a hobby!
    With all due respect to Mark and his purposes, I don't think MDA is what has been defined for us. We, as a forum and community at large, define this section of the website. This forum in particular represents the biggest single volume of people who believe in paleo eating and logic as a whole. It is us, as a forum and community at large, who can talk about expanding upon our inspirations (such as Mark Sisson). No it doesn't have to end at food because that is the main thing Mark first talked about, and no there is nothing off-limits to discussion and expansion for what this community does and stands for.

I have plenty of hobbies. This is not about me.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    A meiutic teacher, are we?

These questions are perfectly valid and much more difficult to answer than a stick of grassfed butter. I think there's basically 2 aspects we can look at about how things have changed from caveman days to modern days.
    1. Ourselves as individuals. Physically and mentally.
    2. Us as groups and collectively as one, big group.

We have the 'physical' of the individual in a corner, bloodied, and broken.

Mentally as individuals, we are missing a couple teeth. Richard Nikoley, while not one who tries to lead, is one of the main voices I have heard on mental health and happiness. I think much of the 'community' that is significantly happier and better off mentally, is better off due to personal effort and partly luck. Too much of what we say is that physical health will lead to mental health. Not everything is a stick of butter or ray of sunshine or extra hour of sleep! Maybe we can make this a 'next step' in terms of the community discussion.

As groups and collectively, we might have a rug burn. This is a huge weak spot because it requires us to move beyond simply doing selfish things in our own lives. Now, we actually have to really collaborate and promote betterness in the entire area you live in, and even bigger if necessary/possible (dare I say, nation). These are things like NamelessWonder mentioned. Promoting the financial stability and productivity of small time, organic farms. I think people WANT to farm, but our economy since even the early 1900's has been such that farmers can't get rich farming. They sell their plot to the land baron or the county government, and they move into the city. Much to talk about on a small group level as far as starting other businesses and projects aside from direct food production. Politically, there is much to discuss as far as where the nation and world is headed. Much to talk about.

To directly answer your question about loss, I will respond that much was lost. "How to live" is how it's summed up. I think people were traumatized unlike possibly ever before, and the shockwaves were heard permanently in the generations to follow. Ultimately though, it is not necessary to talk about this loss. That was what we lost then, but here is where we are now. I see your mindset (I could be totally wrong) as more philosophical in nature, and I am getting to the point of wanting practicality and accountability. It sounds great to be lofty in one's motivations and ideas about the world, but a simple man who takes action will accomplish more than a genius, over-analyzing philosopher ever will. And if I'm wrong about your attitudes, I'm sorry. Just projecting my feelings and experience from the way you asked that question.
    I think of myself more as student than a teacher.

Yes I have a philosophical mindset, but I am firmly planted in the practical. I am not only interested in theory nor do I want to sit around and morn our loss. I want to know what we lost in order to reclaim it. So much of what we think is possible is based on the narrow so called reality in which we live. We are capable of so much more. Every time a baby is born we are looking at a paleolithic being..... before it can see it's guided to its mother's breast by smell. A complex relationship begins without words, without the analytic mind parsing out meaning. Our sense of smell is only one small thing we've lost.

I am not that interested in "accomplishing" things, I am more interested in learning, learning what's been forgotten and loving and being fully present with those I love. It is not as easy at it sounds; the dominant culture relentlessly attempts to distract us from our true nature and keep us busy with the mundane.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I don't know your age or interests. One thing is now that we've all decided to eat real, rather than factory food, is to maybe get political about it. Either as a community or as an individual. Nag at Congress about factory food, Monsanto's control over the FDA, USDA, and the EPA, stuff like that. The GMO travesty that is the U.S.
    I think we're headed toward a culture where the division along economics for foodstuffs will be tragic.
    O' course, I'm just an old hippie, and we bitch constantly about politicians/agribusiness/conspiracies.
    Oh yeah, all of what she said... And you're not "just" an old hippie JoanieL, you're so much more than that...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I think of myself more as student than a teacher.

Yes I have a philosophical mindset, but I am firmly planted in the practical. I am not only interested in theory nor do I want to sit around and morn our loss. I want to know what we lost in order to reclaim it. So much of what we think is possible is based on the narrow so called reality in which we live. We are capable of so much more. Every time a baby is born we are looking at a paleolithic being..... before it can see it's guided to its mother's breast by smell. A complex relationship begins without words, without the analytic mind parsing out meaning. Our sense of smell is only one small thing we've lost.

I am not that interested in "accomplishing" things, I am more interested in learning, learning what's been forgotten and loving and being fully present with those I love. It is not as easy at it sounds; the dominant culture relentlessly attempts to distract us from our true nature and keep us busy with the mundane.
    Ram Dass used to say the activists need to sit their asses down, calm their minds & find some inner reserves of self-acceptance & peace and the meditators need to get up off their cushions & take more action and accomplish more in the world. In the end, potentially, more balanced humans emerge from this synthesis.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I have plenty of hobbies. This is not about me.
    I see
    So this thread is about where should we grow as a community
    Interesting. Good thread.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast