Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Coffee Bean Pills page

chadjunk1 is offline Junior Member

Green Coffee Bean Pills

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone heard anything about the green coffee bean pills that are sold everywhere. They seem to be just another dietary supplement and not a real diet pill.

Thoughts? Anyone tried them?

Thanks!

Chad

I just read about green coffee as a supplement and I'm very intrigued. I just checked out a website call drlindsey.com that sells green coffee. The website looks brand new, he sells a number of nutritional supplements. Anyone out there tried it?

carlh is offline Senior Member
    According to that drlindsey.com site posted above,

Chlorogenic Acid [present in green coffee beans] works by inhibiting the release of glucose in the body while at the same time boosting the metabolism or the “burning” of fat in the liver. These two mechanisms combined work together to inhibit the absorption of fat and eliminate weight gain.
    So in one sentence the guy selling it says it boosts metabolism and thus fat burning...and in the next he says it eliminates weight gain, not processing of existing fat.

According to wikipedia:

This compound, long known as an antioxidant, also slows the release of glucose into the bloodstream after a meal.
    It just slows the release of glucose. So...possibly the only actual benefit is reducing a glycemic spike after eating certain foods?

Also it could contribute to you shitting yourself. Wikipedia:

It could be involved in the laxative effect observed in prunes.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    First off, chlorogenic acid is in all coffee beans/beverages. It is the main antioxidant found in coffee. Furthermore take a look at these links:

Can Drinking Dark Roast Coffee Improve Your Health?
    Choosing Dark Roast Coffee May Boost Antioxidant Intake : Personal Liberty Digest™
    Roasting coffee beans a dark brown produces valued antioxidants, scientists find

Apparently it is the roasting process that produces the antioxidants in the beans. The more they are roasted, the more the antioxidants. If the chlorogenic acid is one of these said anitioxidants, you would expect the greatest benefits to come from the darkest brewed coffees, certainly not the green and unbrewed at all beans!

I'm not saying that's true, just adding my own two cents about the contradicting information out there.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    First off, chlorogenic acid is in all coffee beans/beverages. It is the main antioxidant found in coffee.
    I agree with your conclusion. On a whim I just checked Wikipedia (I know, I know) for "coffee" and found this quote in the citation section:

"Roasted coffees high in lipophilic antioxidants and chlorogenic acid lactones are more neuroprotective than green coffees".

preacher is offline Junior Member
    Tried it for a month, saw no benefit, from it and had no negative or adverse reactions to using it. Conclusion based on limited personal experimentation, the wife and decided we could use the money we'd spend on it towards some good fatty proteins.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    It's 'sold everywhere' because it apparently was recommended by Dr. Oz on one of his shows. And there are people who buy every supplement that he's paid to shill. That's enough reason to avoid it, IMO.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Consuming green coffee made me realise I had major issues with highly allergenic histamine-promoting foods.

Thank you - entirely bogus health food.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i looked in wikipedia as i got an email from one of the companies i get supplements off with a special.
    Green coffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    what i got from that is the STUDY only had 16 ppl in and also it talks about it reducing the absorption of glucose and lowering the hyperglycemic peak which i reckon a decent paleo or primal diet will do anyways.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    According to that drlindsey.com site posted above,

So in one sentence the guy selling it says it boosts metabolism and thus fat burning...and in the next he says it eliminates weight gain, not processing of existing fat.

According to wikipedia:

It just slows the release of glucose. So...possibly the only actual benefit is reducing a glycemic spike after eating certain foods?

Also it could contribute to you shitting yourself. Wikipedia:
    Fibers also slow glucose absorption and chlorogenic acid is also found in apples. So personally I would prefer just to eat soem green apples and get the benefits of the fiber, the chlorogenic acid and the malic acid in the apples.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast