Thread: 21-Day Sugar Detox page

MissJecka is offline Senior Member

Unhappy 21-Day Sugar Detox

Shop Now
    I know many of you guys have done or may even be currently doing the 21-Day Sugar Detox, so I'm looking for some support or consolation!

I'm on day 3 right now and the past 36 hours have been miserable. It has nothing to do with cravings (I honestly am not craving sugar at all!) but more about physical things happening to me... and not in a good way!

I know that Candida die-off happens when you remove sugar, alcohol, etc. from one's diet, and that can be an uncomfortable thing; however, I have yet to find anything in this forum, other forums, and all of the paleo/primal blogs I follow about such extreme, uncomfortable, and downright painful side-effects as the ones I'm going through! At most, it seems that other folks get headaches or feel strong cravings for the first few days, dissipating after day 3 or 4.

Well, not me! Again, I have no cravings... just really, really bad bouts of nausea, frequent chills, occasional hot flashes, and GI distress (I'll spare you the details, but "distress" is definitely the right word for it). Today is better than yesterday... thankfully... so I think any Candida that may be dying and causing these problems are nearly gone.

My question is:

Have any of you ever experienced really uncomfortable side effects to any kind of sugar detox, specifically the 21-Day Sugar Detox?

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I've never purchased the program, but I am essentially doing a detox for the next month or two to kill off a candida overgrowth. Your symptoms sound like die-off to me, but it could also be carb flu if you have lowered your carb intake significantly. Make sure to stay hydrated! Are you eating new/different foods?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am not doing this program, but I have just started on the 6 weeks from the Blood Sugar solutions, which is basically no sweeteners, fruit, starchy veggies or dairy for, you guessed! 6 weeks. Last time I managed on a similar regimen for 40 days. My problem was deep depression

If you have GI distress, do you eat a lot of cabbage-family veggies on this program? Forgoing them, onions and garlic may help you. Go for something like zucchinis, tomatoes and peppers instead. It seems to help my digestion after I upset it with crappy sugar/bad fats foods after vacations.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the quick responses!

namelesswonder - I've been keeping an online food journal since starting paleo on July 1st and my carbs in the past 3 days of being sugar-free is the same as it's been. I'm not eating new foods, either; I eat eggs, organic grass-fed animals, and locally-grown organic veggies daily and have been doing so since being part of the paleo lifestyle.

Leida - I actually am not a fan of cabbage, so I haven't been eating anything in that family of veggies. My main veggie sources lately have been seasonal ones I get from my CSA: summer squash, cucumber, eggplant, and peppers. I also eat one avocado a day. I do eat a lot of garlic (I pretty much put garlic powder or minced garlic in every savory meal!) but I've always done that... it's nothing new.

I do think that I need to hydrate more, so I'll give that a try and hope that this all passes...