Thread: Intuitive Eating Advice page

Maria316 is offline Junior Member

Intuitive Eating Advice

Primal Fuel
    I am a former figure competitor who is used to chronic cardio, lifting weights for an hour six days a week, 6-7 small meals a day with starches, legumes, dairy, wheat, measured out portions etc......during this time I found myself always hungry, always watching the clock for my next meal time, binging on my "cheat" days and just all out feeling tired, miserable and unhappy. A girlfriend of mine recently started Crossfit and Paleo. After talking to her I decided to try this stuff out. I'm on day 3 of the 21 day Challenge and honestly a huge part of me feels free! BUT I do also still have part of the mind frame that I should be working out 6 days a week and eating 'X' amount of calories. I would really like to work on having intuitive eating skills and not feel guilty about not doing chronic cardio and being in the gym 6 days a week. Anyone have any advice or encouragement on this topic? Thank you!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    It will come with time. As you go, you will notice how much better you feel. You will start to learn true hunger and what your body needs. Just be patient. You can't expect to undo years of poor habits in just a few days.

Thank you for the encouragement! Greatly appreciated!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If you enjoy it, go to the gym 6 days a week and play. I am sure you can find folks playing basketball, soccer or splashing in the pool in your rec centre. And turn your chronic cardio into a romantic walk with your girlfriend or a tennis match... then you will know that you are "burning calories" but will have fun. In my experience, exposure to the outdoors is the best antidote to the excessive gym going.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Great suggestions! Although my boyfriend would probably prefer I take romantic walks with him, but I know what you mean The friend who told me about Paleo also does Crossfit and I thought about going with her and checking it out too. Get me out of the conventional corporate gym setting.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Woops, sorry about the gender confusion, the first post sounded a little like a male poster with the reference to the girlfriend and all!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you are coming into the game with a good head start. You understand food is used to meet your needs, not necessarily to treat boredom and other emotions, and you are in the habit of moving your body. Like Leida said, maybe just try moving your 6 times a week habit outside and see where that gets you...
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The whole chronic cardio thing is kinda bullshit in my opinion. I mean he says avoid chronic cardio in one breath and turns around and suggests you take walks or bike rides or go hiking every day or engage in "play" which can be quite strenuous like tennis or ultimate frisbee. Well, what if you jogged a few miles a day and thought that was fun for you? You know, your time to yourself to just zone out and not have people pestering you for stuff. Is that not a sort of play or beneficial activity? Lots of runners have to skip that part of the advice because they enjoy running. Some say that even if you look good naked and can lift some weights, if you can't run (from a predator) you aren't very strong.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

I am doing a half marathon in November. I love running. It is therapeutic for me but I did not like waking up at 3:45am to go to the gym and lift for an hour, do my marathon training and then do an additional 30-45 minutes of cardio. I'm going to keep with the running and some fun strength training a few days a week and if I miss some days in the gym that will be ok. And if I don't feel like running on any given day that is ok too I like the idea of going to the gym and doing other things besides cardio and the standard dumbbell and barbells. I'm only a few days into the challenge so as far as the intuitive eating goes I will do my best to listen to my body and not necessarily my mind and old habits. This is going to be an exciting new adventure, thank you all for your encouragement and support!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The whole chronic cardio thing is kinda bullshit in my opinion. I mean he says avoid chronic cardio in one breath and turns around and suggests you take walks or bike rides or go hiking every day or engage in "play" which can be quite strenuous like tennis or ultimate frisbee. Well, what if you jogged a few miles a day and thought that was fun for you? You know, your time to yourself to just zone out and not have people pestering you for stuff. Is that not a sort of play or beneficial activity? Lots of runners have to skip that part of the advice because they enjoy running. Some say that even if you look good naked and can lift some weights, if you can't run (from a predator) you aren't very strong.
    I think that Mark's definition of "chronic cardio" implies running miles for the sake of running miles, without regard for proper rest and recovery. Nothing wrong with running long distances, as long as adequate recovery time is taken. Walking (for most people) isn't strenuous enough to cause the problems that running does, both in terms of impact and muscular fatigue. "Jogging" to me implies that you are running slowly enough to have a conversation, which is at an aerobic level, not anaerobic. This is also not a problem. A lot of people don't get the subtleties here, I think, or look for any excuse to not run, which really isn't necessary anyways. (Sprinting =/= running).