Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Research that Shows that Legumes are Bad for you? page 2

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I just like the taste of broad beans, french beans, runner beans and baked beans. I look upon them as occasional treats that have pluses and minuses.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I don't mind the taste either. I can leave without it, but I feel like I would like a meatless, fish-less, egg-less, chicken-less salad once in a while with beans or I absolutely love beans in my bortsch.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

dogfuel is offline Member
    I wonder the same about any research... dont have the book around toquote but it seems like Robb Wolff dedicated a chapter to the evils of grains then said something like "I don't like the taste of beans and they're almost as bad for you" - ruling on legumes in a paragraph without any supporting observations. If soaking beans minimizes the anti nutrients, what are thoughts on lentils and others that traditionally are not soaked?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    While this is not actually data, we use lectins that are purified from beans to stimulate immune cells in the lab. Just a tiny bit of purified lectin with cause a type of immune cell to expand. They are excluded from most of the auto-immune dietary protocols I have seen and I do wonder if there is something to it.

All that being said, I have no idea how much of the offending lectin survives the cooking process or how biologically active it would be when ingested.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

goldenrun is offline Junior Member
    To consume 100 grams of protein you would actually have to consume even more beans!

6.25 cups of cooked kidney beans = 1369 calories, 100 g protein, 250 g carbs (not humanly possible - you would explode!)

(per cup: 219 calories, 40 g carbs, 16 g protein, 16 g fiber)

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beans, kidney, california red, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, without salt

I grew up on peasant food. My grandmother made huge pots of soup/stew which always contained BOTH meat and beans and lots of veggies. I am new to PB and am now eating much more meat but do still enjoy a little hummus now and then and plan to continue throwing in a small amount of beans into my pots of soup this winter (I always soak overnight and drain the soaking water). The high carbohydrates in beans raise my blood sugar so I need to strictly limit my intake but a sprinkling here and there seems to be fine.

Bon appetit!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Sugar being my problem as well, and from that perspective there are suggestions that too much read meats promote diabesity, while beans help stabilize blood sugar. Addendum of course being that we are not dividing between grass-fed; and we are looking at various eating patterns. One of the studies quoted that blood sugar was lowered on the same macros for a group eating whole rye (even processed into bread/pasta) vs group eating the traditional SAD combo of wheat, w.potatoes and oats.

In my experience all the Paleo books I have read skimmed past the legumes, never really giving an argument of the strength and conviction that is reserved for the grains.

I kindda feel that as someone with a sugar problem, I might be better off with beans than white potatoes and white rice.

???
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

MANthrax is offline Junior Member

A very dangerous statement...

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Sadly, I'm one of those people that gets hungry after eating a lot of carbs. OTOH, meat sates my appetite. I made a meatzza last night, and even though it was only a pound of the aforemetioned 95/5 beef, <1/4 pound of cheese, and 7 ounces of tomato, I couldn't get it all down. And I'd been so busy all day that I hadn't eaten more than 4 ounces of food prior to that meal.

We are all different. And we should all do what works for ourselves. Eat and be happy! There are entire cultures that live with rice and/or beans as their staple foods.
    "we should all do what works for ourselves" I'm concerned a new member may run with this in the wrong direction. In regards to entire cultures living off of rice and beans as a staple. The Irish did it off of potatoes. The key is when calorie restricted (fasting by necessity) all humans do very well on most any diet. Give rice eating Asian cultures McDonanlds along with that rice and we have out of control obesity.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MANthrax View Post
    "we should all do what works for ourselves" I'm concerned a new member may run with this in the wrong direction. In regards to entire cultures living off of rice and beans as a staple. The Irish did it off of potatoes. The key is when calorie restricted (fasting by necessity) all humans do very well on most any diet. Give rice eating Asian cultures McDonanlds along with that rice and we have out of control obesity.
    I think that one of the real takeaways from Paleo/primal is to zero in on high quality protein as the centerpiece of every meal. Most of the 'filler' foods that we decry have either no or vastly inferior sources of protein in them.

And like Joanie says, eating a 1lb meatza is hard work, and very filling.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12