Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eggs as bad as cigarettes! page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah, yeah, the eggs kill.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Penady is offline Senior Member
    "Because egg yolks are high in cholesterol, eating whole eggs increases cholesterol, a known risk factor for coronary artery disease (CAD) and heart attacks."

{heavy sigh}...where to begin? Ignoring studies that show that dietary cholesterol has minimal impact on serum cholesterol? Controlling for confounding variables? Did the participants only eat egg yolks for a period of time? If not, how do you rule out the influence of other dietary choices? Genetics? Exercise? The list could go on and on.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    What they did was measure how clogged up people's arteries were and then asked them about their smoking and eating habits. That's it. It's not a study of anything else - death rates, heart attacks, or anything else. It's the relationship between egg consumption and artery cloggedness, controlling only for whatever other dietary (not lifestyle) factors they bothered to control for.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Who funded the study?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I have to admit that I didn't bother to read OP's link. I just no longer care to read these kinds of "studies".
    But yeah I know, eggs will kill me. I'll get bronchitis, COPD, emphysema and lung cancer just by eating eggs. Not to mention heart disease, face wrinkles, yellow fingernails, and hundred other diseases and conditions caused by inhaling tobacco smoke and the over 4000 chemicals that cigarettes contain.

Toshison is offline Member
    Who funded the study? hmm... Its either a cartoned egg white company or some vegan association.

Where do you even begin with criticizing this study. I read it and was like WT..ef!! Whats worse is that this "eggs yolks as dangerous as smoking" headline has made it to all the major publications. Crazy. This is really bad for people that just absorb headlines and do no further research.

The articles does the typical cholesterol bashing but then says that 1 egg contains approximately 1/3 of the "recommended daily intake" on cholesterol. So while they say cholesterol is bad they concede it's necessity.

To compare an egg yolk that can sustain life and can improve the health of many people in developing nations with minimal access to good protein sources with a Cigarette: the worst of all tobacco products, laced with over 4000 chemical compounds that lead to chemical addictions just makes my head hurt.

Emseven is offline Member
    I can't wait until one of my "concerned" relatives emails me this piece.

Paleobird Guest
    I think we should have a "Stupid CW study of the week" thread. (Maybe this is it)

Emseven, I know what you mean about the "concerned" emails.

Ha haaaa, Zoe Harcombe takes this one DOWN.

Bottom line, arterial plaques increase with age; the people in the quintile of lowest "egg years" were 55, and in the highest 70. The correlation ain't EGGS, it's AGE.

But apparently these same "researchers" have been going after eggs like a pig after truffles...

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    There's our answer!

“Dr Spence and Dr Davignon have received honoraria and speaker’s fees from several pharmaceutical companies manufacturing lipid-lowering drugs, and Dr Davignon has received support from Pfizer Canada for an annual atherosclerosis symposium; his research has been funded in part by Pfizer Canada, AstraZeneca Canada Inc and Merck Frosst Canada Ltd.“

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast